Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would assume, perhaps incorrectly, that a Living in the Past bookset would contain more than what was originally released in keeping with all the other sets.

If so, I’d be curious to know what extras might be included before I call it redundant... although that is the first word that came to my mind.

If only there was an insider who could tip us off to what the plan might be. ;)
There are a few songs from the era which have not received surround mixes due to missing multitracks: "The Witch's Promise", "Dr Bogenbroom", "From Later" and "Nursie". Maybe with separation techniques getting better and better, Steven could have a stab at those? In the case of "The Witch's Promise", there's even another mix that could be used to get another set of stems. Maybe the same technique could also be used to isolate the second flute part from "Living in the Past" that was wiped and replaced with an organ for the Living in the Past album.

The Carnegie Hall concert, which was the source for the live tracks from Living in the Past, was included on the 2010 Stand Up reissue but none of the book sets. A SW mix of that concert could be interesting, especially after Bursting Out and the other Benefit era gig he has recently mixed.

Looking at the TAAB bookset today, I notice that the Life's a Long Song EP gets completely glossed over despite being Barriemore Barlow's first recordings with the band, so maybe some insight about those tracks could be included.

The Carnegie Hall concert, which was the source for the live tracks from Living in the Past, was included on the 2010 Stand Up reissue but none of the book sets. A SW mix of that concert could be interesting, especially after Bursting Out and the other Benefit era gig he has recently mixed.

Yes, especially considering that Peter Mew's mix wasn't really good. The 1993 mix was even worse.

I'm also hoping it would include stuff like "The Game", "Early in the Morning" or "Pancake Doomsday" that was left off the boxsets.

Last edited:
Another thing I had to think of -
Living in the Past had different tracklists depending on the territory. On DVD, this can be implemented so that you could play the UK or the US version, or the combined version as released by MFSL.

I was going to say being that Living In The Past has been released now in "associated recordings" save the 4 songs with missing multis it must be rumor. But I sure like the excuses to reissue it everyone is coming up with! @Galeans, I don't know those songs at all! Where are those from?

I remember liking the unedited-ness of the 5.1 mix of the Carnegie Hall concert. I don't remember the mix just sucking but I don't think it was a front heavy affair. Yeah, bring in Steve Wilson!

I tried upmixing the 1st 3 of those songs a couple years ago when I assembled a Living In The Past 5.1 (combined US+UK version). Listened to them again and I'm calling that unsuccessful. Not the upmixing software, actual attempts with intentional moves with professional tools. Still failed!

I grabbed the two songs for side 3 from that 5.1. I remember tweaking those. I remember entertaining duplicating the edited version for nostalgia or something. The edits in that thing! The ones you hear obviously in the banter... For every obvious one there are another 10 seamless ones! So I didn't do that. Interesting to see just how crazy someone went with a razor blade back then though! Got to fit it on that album side and can't have the marijuana friendly comments in there...

I usually hate "best of" albums but I got fond of this one. It's more a collection of out of print singles and then the Life's A Long Song EP and a live side.

Another thing I had to think of -
Living in the Past had different tracklists depending on the territory. On DVD, this can be implemented so that you could play the UK or the US version, or the combined version as released by MFSL.
I love my MFSL.
b5871fbc5a46c9bf8c6b8ef3a93c8f9a.jpeg

Back