Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine also arrived today (from imusic - I learned my lesson from Broadsword and ordered it when it was still cheap). Still sealed - I won't get to listen to this until the weekend.

My many Tull test/check discs storage case: Before any fixes, warts and all.:D
WxjnoZo.jpeg

Doesn't everyone have their own Rock Island? Their own little patch of sand?

Mine arrived this morning but took my daughter-in-law to Oxford to swear loyalty to the crown, which is the last hurdle to take before becoming a British Citizen.

Watching England playing pathetic footy now.

Might listen later.
I listened to Bursting Out while the football was on. We were playing so badly and the commentary was annoying me, I needed to be surrounded by something to cheer me up!

I was going to say being that Living In The Past has been released now in "associated recordings" save the 4 songs with missing multis it must be rumor. But I sure like the excuses to reissue it everyone is coming up with! @Galeans, I don't know those songs at all! Where are those from?

They're mentioned in the booksets as either being backing tracks or too unfinished. There are more.

Of those that I've mentioned, "Early in the Morning" could be the Sonny Boy Williamson track and, as reported back then, "Pancake Doomsday" is an early version of "Saturation". I'd sure love to be able to hear them!

They're mentioned in the booksets as either being backing tracks or too unfinished. There are more.

Of those that I've mentioned, "Early in the Morning" could be the Sonny Boy Williamson track and, as reported back then, "Pancake Doomsday" is an early version of "Saturation". I'd sure love to be able to hear them!
All cool, always great info. I learn.

Put my cap on my head.
I turn and walk away.:LOL:

Mine landed safely shortly after noon, I had a few words to say about this release and I did a little unboxing for my YouTube channel. Servo, the laziest mousepolice cat I know, dropped by to lend … not much.

Review forthcoming !!

Playing MSG now - The airhorns are so clear and lifelike ! Wilson has worked his magic once again. 😂

So, one day late, it's finally here and I spent the day with it. Some preliminary thoughts, after a first listen:

When this release was announced, I thought it was the icing on the cake of the reissues, but I now think it's absolutely essential. This album has never sounded better. Steven Wilson took a much different approach than the original, and it results in some different choices. I can hear some of the overdubs a little better: for example, there are definitely some extra vocals on "No Lullaby" which aren't merely an echo effect. On the original mix, they blended better, here they get spread around. The ambience also changes during the guitar solo on "Sweet Dream." Those nuances can be a little disconcerting to those who are familiar with the original mix, but I gladly trade them for the clarity of the new version. The new tracks blend well with the program. I'm convinced that "Quatrain" is a different performance on the remix, though: it doesn't match how I'm familiar with it. I'm gonna have to investigate more.

The soundcheck tracks were interesting. The performances were a little tamed, but sonically they are great. The early version of "4WD" was a treat to hear: it's almost majestic (not an adjective that comes to mind when I think about that song) and even Zappaesque. Ian is definitely playing electric rhythm guitar on it! I can understand the thought that the placement of those tracks spoils the flow of the album, but I think of it as a lesser evil. Their running time isn't enough to warrant an extra disc (which would have, pardon my pun, inflated the price) and I'd rather have them than not. There was a break in the set anyway.

I have yet to watch the he MSG show. I only heard some of the stereo mix and it sounded really good, even though the arschloch with the airhorn is still loud and clear. I'm also curious to see how it compares to the 2009 DVD, video-wise.

I have also yet to finish the book, but it really is a fantastic item and one of the reasons this box is essential.

To anyone who's still on the fence, especially due to Ian's self-deprecating statement on the video (which was definitely meant to be humorous): you're missing out. And how!

Attachments

• BurstingO.jpg
    BurstingO.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@JohnN OK brother you are the resident expert, I have a couple questions.

I have not read the 119 pages of posts and probably in here and I have not read the liner notes.
As I ripped DVD 1, I watched and listened to DVD 3 Madison Square Gardens.

1. On the MSG video, TV concert, the concert ends with live video, but continues with audio and photo pictures. Very disappointing as that starts at the drum solo and I really wanted to watch.
My question: was there known video footage that kept going after the TV show? The audio obviously kept going, I was just thinking, they really wouldn't just stop cameras, right then and there, would they?

2. For some reason I thought Bursting Out Live was the audio from the MSG venue, but an Italian venue as Intro By Claude Nobs an Italian gent I presume?

I must say the MSG show, what a great show, super high energy by the entire band. I would have loved to have been there. Martin Barre can really rip.

Thanks for your time, probably silly questions. I am listening to the 5.1 of DVD 1 (part 1), the remix by Wilson, hmm, I'll hold my comments until I listen to all.

2. For some reason I thought Bursting Out Live was the audio from the MSG venue, but an Italian venue as Intro By Claude Nobs an Italian gent I presume?
Claude Nobs is Swiss. He's the "Claude" referred to in Deep Purples Smoke On the Water.

"They burned down the gambling house
It died with an awful sound
Funky Claude was running in and out
Pulling kids out the ground now"

Claude Nobs is Swiss. He's the "Claude" referred to in Deep Purples Smoke On the Water.

"They burned down the gambling house
It died with an awful sound
Funky Claude was running in and out
Pulling kids out the ground now"
So was the audio for Bursting Out Live from Montreux? I know, I need to start reading, but why when there is all this great AI intelligence.

Back