HiRez Poll Jones, Howard - DREAM INTO ACTION [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Howard Jones - DREAM INTO ACTION

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new reissue of the classic album "Dream Into Action" by Howard Jones.

The Blu-Ray disc contains a 5.1 Surround Sound mix and 96/24 LPCM 2024 New Stereo Mix of the entire ‘Dream Into Action’ album plus bonus tracks ‘Bounce Right Back’ and ‘Like To Get To Know You Well’. The 5.1 Surround Sound Remix and 96/24 LPCM 2024 New Stereo Mix created from the original multi-track mastertapes by the original ‘Dream Into Action’ album engineer Stephen W Tayler. The Blu-Ray disc also contains Dolby Atmos mixes of ‘Things Can Only Get Better’ and ‘Like To Get To Know You Well’ created from the original multi-track mastertapes by Bob Clearmountain. The CD contains the 2024 New Stereo Mix of the entire ‘Dream Into Action’ album plus bonus tracks ‘Bounce Right Back’ and ‘Like To Get To Know You Well’. Packaged in a digipack with a fully illustrated 12 page CD booklet containing brand new interviews with Howard Jones and Stephen W Tayler in conversation with Anil Prasad discussing the 5.1 Surround Sound Remix and 96/24 LPCM 2024 New Stereo Mix.

(y) :) (n)

3d-packshot-dream-sticker.jpg

Wow! This is how to do it.
Excellent digipak packaging. Beautifully done.
Superb graphics.
Excellent mix. Enveloping.
Vibrant sound. Aurally exciting and very listenable.
Bear in mind that this is very much on the fringe of my musical tastes yet this release has been created so well that it has had me sat listening and looking absolutely engrossed.
Ox = delighted and is giving it a well deserved 10.
Same review as for the other Howard Jones Blu-ray/CD. Both are superb.

After a rocky start with this one, I was finally able to hear it in all its 5.1 DTS-HD glory. I don't do Atmos, so no evaluation on that option. The surround mix is quite active, and delivers well on a well-engineered album. My only criticism is that the version of "No One Is To Blame" is not the original that appeared on the original album. That fact made me lower my overall rating from 10 to 9. Interestingly, the accompanying CD sounds incredible when played through the Surround Master, Involve 4.1 mode,

After a rocky start with this one, I was finally able to hear it in all its 5.1 DTS-HD glory. I don't do Atmos, so no evaluation on that option. The surround mix is quite active, and delivers well on a well-engineered album. My only criticism is that the version of "No One Is To Blame" is not the original that appeared on the original album. That fact made me lower my overall rating from 10 to 9. Interestingly, the accompanying CD sounds incredible when played through the Surround Master, Involve 4.1 mode,
I have been listening to this album since it first came out. This IS definitely the original version of “No One Is To Blame”. At least on the US version.

I have been listening to this album since it first came out. This IS definitely the original version of “No One Is To Blame”. At least on the US version.
I could be wrong, but I think nakedonjaybird believes the Phil The Shill version of the song, which was the hit on American charts, is the original version, which it isn't. It was re-recorded with Hugh Padgham as engineer.

Yes it was always the original version recorded with all the other songs at Farmyard Studios, produced by Rupert Hine and recorded and mixed by yours truly.

The Phil Collins/Hugh Padgham single version was recorded some time after Dream Into Action, and eventually appeared on the next album, One to One. I expect if a new version of that album is made then that version will appear there - as it should!!!

I would not have chosen to include it on this release, I wanted these to be the actual material presented by this team.

SWTx

Last edited:
Yes it was always the original version recorded with all the other songs at Farmyard Studios, produced by Rupert Hine and recorded and mixed by yours truly.

The Phil Collins produced single version was recorded some time after Dream Into Action, and eventually appeared on the next album. I expect if a new version of that album is made then that version will appear there - as it should!!!

I would not have chose to include it on this release, I wanted these to be the actual material presented by this team.

SWTx
I just want to say these two HoJo releases are bucket list records to be in surround for me! I am SO not disappointed. These are some of the best I have heard!

It's not the version we were playing on the radio in 1986. I was DJ'ing at that time, and this is not the version we played, but it was definitely Howard Jones.

It's not the version we were playing on the radio in 1986. I was DJ'ing at that time, and this is not the version we played, but it was definitely Howard Jones.
well Dream Into Action with the original version came out in March 1985 - so the song was remade especially as a single (by a different production team) for radio play in March 1986.

This box set release is specifically a revisit to the album from 1985.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of that.
Since you wrote:

"My only criticism is that the version of "No One Is To Blame" is not the original that appeared on the original album. That fact made me lower my overall rating from 10 to 9,"

perhaps you will consider changing your vote to a 10! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Since you wrote:

"My only criticism is that the version of "No One Is To Blame" is not the original that appeared on the original album. That fact made me lower my overall rating from 10 to 9,"

perhaps you will consider changing your vote to a 10! Stay Surrounded, Comrade
I give it some consideration, after another play.

Agreed. I was on the radio at that time, too, and this sounds nothing like the popular version - at least here in the states. Not sure what it was in the UK, where this disc was released. I know others have said the re-recorded version is available on another album, but it would have been nice if they also included it on this one as a bonus track. That's the only thing about this disc that is very disappointing for me.

I voted 10.
Oh boy, here we go, a lot in my head. I think I will unload my brain slowly.
I purchased directly from Cherry Red, no problems.
All my listening/watching was of the Blu Ray.
Hard Disc: Put in player, easy menu navigation and listening/watching. This was just to confirm the ease of such.
Ripped Disc: I used MKV for Blu Ray Rip and MMH for tagging. All played through JRiver PC player. All listening done this way via a ripped file either a MKV file or a FLAC file.
Liner Notes: Fantastic and must needed component for listening experience. What the reader will learn is that Howard Jones and Stephen W. Tayler have both a intimate relationship with this music as Stephen was the original engineer.
The two combined now years later set out to have this new 2024 release be a surround experience, taking artistic liberty that I personally found fantastic, not sticking with the old way as others might say, "we wanted to stay true to the orginal mix". I personally find that old fashioned and prefer this new thought process.
On Screen Graphics: More fantastic and was a reason that I did certain ripping tactic that I normally do not do, I'll explain later. You will learn more about the on screen graphics in the liner notes.
5.1 Listening: My rip stayed to the MKV file, which I never do with 5.1's, I always rip to FLAC. I wanted the on screen graphics, therefore the MKV file made more sense. The negative I thought would be that now this forces me to use HDMI out to get the on screen graphics, but proved to be a good decision. For testing I did use my analogue outs for the DTS HD MSTR signal and I seemed to prefer the same signal via HDMI DTS HD MSTR.
5.1 Sound: Exquisite, exactly how I like it, great mid range and deep bass, did not bother my Tinnitus with annoying highs. Surround sound, perfect, fun and engaging. Some minimal gapless tracks like between 5 & 6.
Listening was a MKV file, DTS HD MSTR, 24bit/96Khz. DR's are 12's, 13's, 14's.
Atmos: Sure great, only two tracks so not a lot to sink your teeth into. I felt the main takeaway from the two Atmos tracks was the height ambience. If you do not have Atmos capable, no worries the fun is in the 5.1 mix. The Atmos MKV file, 24bit/48Khz. DR's are 14 & 15.
Stereo from Blu Ray: FLAC file, 24bit/96Khz. Dr's are 10's and 11's. Great room ambience, sound stage has great height with wall to wall effect.

Ending: A must for the surround enthusiast in a very special New Wave genre. I am a huge fan of Stephen W Tayler and now a fan of Howard Jones, with this Dream Into Action.

Please keep Poll Threads Pure to your listening experience only.

An easy 10 from me! Same goes for Human's Lib btw. This entire package is just about perfection. SWT's mixes here are demo quality. I had several friends over who are HoJo fans and they all could not believe how amazing this sounded. When that synth line in the chorus of Things Can Only Get Better seems to slowly ripple out toward and past you.....just wow. I love how you can now hear just how many little synth and percussion bits there are going on in these songs. It really shows the genius of all involved in making this record.

I could be wrong, but I think nakedonjaybird believes the Phil The Shill version of the song, which was the hit on American charts, is the original version, which it isn't. It was re-recorded with Hugh Padgham as engineer.
It's also, to my ears, an alternate take. I was playing this song on the radio in 1986, and that's what I compare it to.

Back