SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Alanis and Hootie showed up 2 weeks ago with no additional fees/taxes.
Fleetwood Mac and the Doors are at customs awaiting clearance. Should I have any additional fees/taxes added on, I will start doing my Rhino buys through Warner Canada when available.
I have started ordering from Warner Canada to avoid the reclaiming tax process. Typically you need to wait 2-3 weeks longer than Rhino orders for new releases. That being said, I received the latest 4 atmos releases on Monday of this week which I thought was good. Current discount of 15% being offered which makes the Warner Canada purchase on par with Rhino after taking into account international shipping and exchange rate.

Yes, The new Joni Quads are giving me a BD+ error
I copied all 4 using DVDFAB. I will try ripping them tomorrow with dvdae but I assume that they will work since the copy protection has been removed.It's going to take me awhile before I vote but on the first two, it's Dolby Atmos in the lead for For The Roses and Quad for Court and Spark. I'm not crazy about the Quad of FTR. The ATMOS is not perfect as well as I think the top end could be taken down a bit. The Quad of Court and Spark beats the Atmos as I think that the piano and vocals for instance are clearer. I like the placement of everything better as well. Isn't it great that we have a choice though.

Last edited:
DVD Audio Extractor + AnyDVD HD also works.
I didn't know that Anydvd hd could make an exact copy of a Blu-Ray with the copy protection removed. I like to put the entire disc on my hard drives so that I have the menus etc intact. I will settle for an mkv file when that doesn't work for some reason.

Does anyone know how to make a Marantz AVR behave like this (duplicate the surrounds in the rears) with all four channel recordings? I like the way it sounded with the rears playing as well as the surrounds. In the case of For The Roses, it added just the right sense of space to the rear soundstage.
My Yamaha plays 7.1 all the time for both 4.x and 5.x streams without me doing anything. The back speakers are duplicates of the surrounds and play at the same level. To me this sounds way better than without the extra speakers.

Last edited:
I copied all 4 using DVDFAB. I will try ripping them tomorrow with dvdae but I assume that they will work since the copy protection has been removed.
DVDAE works fine when ripping from the copy where the protection has been removed by DVDFAB. I was able to rip everything on all 4 discs. Now for the laborious and time consuming task of tweaking things to my liking.

Last edited:
I didn't know that Anydvd hd could make an exact copy of a Blu-Ray with the copy protection removed. I like to put the entire disc on my hard drives so that I have the menus etc intact. I will settle for an mkv file when that doesn't work for some reason.
Yep this is what I’ve done for all the Rhino Quadios so far, still waiting on the Joni box. AnyDVD HD can rip to either .iso or folder structure. There’s an option to leave the copy protection in place if you want that for whatever reason.

Yep this is what I’ve done for all the Rhino Quadios so far, still waiting on the Joni box. AnyDVD HD can rip to either .iso or folder structure. There’s an option to leave the copy protection in place if you want that for whatever reason.
It's all in what we are use to I guess.

Mine arrived today from Warner Music Canada in Toronto (hand delivered by Purolator), so none of those import fees from the US. I can understand making facsimiles of the original albums for optical disc packages, but trying to read the lyrics in the sleeves? To render an old British expression into polite terminology: if they expect us to read them, they're extracting the urine. :p

Back