HiRez Poll Mitchell, Joni - THE ASYLUM ALBUMS (1972-1975) [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Joni Mitchell - THE ASYLUM ALBUMS (1972-1975)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
For me it's an 8.5 rounded up to 9 for the poll.

The execution of the overall package is second to none - the artwork and packaging are flawlessly executed, and as an overall package comprising stereo, quad and Atmos mixes it represents an excellent value and a blueprint for how these kinds of multi-album sets should be done.

Having said that, the reason I can't give this full points is because the quad mixes - which are the main draw for me - seem to be flat transfers and don't have the same vocal presence and upper-midrange sparkle that the stereo and Atmos mixes do. I get that with the single-disc Quadio releases there might not be the budget for name-brand mastering given the niche interest level, but with a prestige release like this one I would've liked to have seen the same attention paid to the quad mixes as the other two streams on the disc.

As I said, at $80 this box represents a considerable value, but in this economy, for a turd miner like myself it still represents a considerable outlay and I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting things to be as good as they can be. Rhino obviously understands the value of using a skilled mastering engineer given that Kevin Gray is involved with their audiophile LP reissues, and though I'm loath to spend any more money than I already do, I'd grudgingly admit that I'd pay an extra few dollars for releases like this if it had his name, or Bob Vosgien's, (or that bloke from across the ocean who's done so much good work) or someone of that ilk on the hype sticker.

Back