June 2019 DV Releases (MFSB, Guess Who, Herbie Hancock, and Donald Byrd)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High-Res artwork!

81X%2BIzjf3ML._SL1429_.jpg

81r9XQ%2BaYZL._SL1430_.jpg

81xTcuhgqUL._SL1429_.jpg

91TF5dJTt5L._SL1429_.jpg

Hmm -- I have the Best of the Guess Who from Audio Fidelity in quad -- I assume this is the same mix as DV is now offering (the AF is out of print)? Rockin' would be a new addition, though, and on the same SACD (sell my AF?). Sextant is a must!

(edit: wait! Best of the Guess Who II. I'll see if that is different from the AF)

Hmm -- I have the Best of the Guess Who from Audio Fidelity in quad -- I assume this is the same mix as DV is now offering (the AF is out of print)? Rockin' would be a new addition, though, and on the same SACD (sell my AF?). Sextant is a must!
The DV release is Best of Vol II. AF released Vol I

(edit: wait! Best of the Guess Who II. I'll see if that is different from the AF)

BOTGWVII should sound better than Vol 1 (as the old Quad record of Vol 2 did) and Rockin' is one of the better Guess Who album Quad mixes with some fun panning :SB can't wait to get me lugholes round this lot! 👂

Yes, I confirmed that on the DV site -- interesting that "Heartbroken Bopper" appears twice on the SACD now (as part of Rockin' and as part of the Best II).

similar thing happened with the Lynn Anderson DV SACD, two different surround mixes of "Rose Garden" on one disc! i beg your pardon but it never rains it pours on Rose's garden! 🌹☔

So does "Guns, Guns, Guns".

And except for other compilations, I don't think "Albert Flasher" appears anywhere else

...and "Glamour Boy" on the Best Of Vol 2 Quad is not only an interesting edit but a different surround mix from the mix on the #10 Quad also on DV SACD! wow! :rocks

good golly miss molly i am SOFCKINEXCITEDICANBARELYCONTAINMYSELF!!!!!!!! 🤯

Yes! Great news!

Philadelphia Freedom in discrete quad, finally! (it was an SQ-only release like Johnnie Taylor's Eargasm). I have the Best Of Vol. II CD-4 and it's excellent - the mix is miles ahead of the Vol. I quad. And the Donald Byrd title is a cool surprise - does this open up the possibility of more UA titles from D-V? There's two War quads (Deliver The Word & The World Is A Ghetto) from that label with excellent mixes.

However - I am a bit bummed about two things, one being the master tape situation with Sextant (obviously not the fault of D-V) and the other being that the MFSB release isn't a two-fer with the quad mix of Love Is The Message (which included "TSOP", the Soul Train theme). I guess they're saving one for another batch down the line.

Last edited:
...and "Glamour Boy" on the Best Of Vol 2 Quad is not only an interesting edit but a different surround mix from the mix on the #10 Quad also on DV SACD! wow! :rocks

good golly miss molly i am SOFCKINEXCITEDICANBARELYCONTAINMYSELF!!!!!!!! 🤯

When I see these DV releases I have to pinch myself....is this 2019 or are we back in the 70's....this is awesome...it gives us "non quaddies"(back then) a chance to go back and get these titles now:SB

However - I am a bit bummed about two things, one being the master tape situation with Sextant (obviously not the fault of D-V) and the other being that the MFSB release isn't a two-fer with the quad mix of Love Is The Message (which included "TSOP", the Soul Train theme). I guess they're saving one for another batch down the line.

Yes, Love Is The Message would make a fine future Surround SACD release all by itself. :)

I'm guessing that Michael did a great job with Sextant. I'm certainly willing to take the chance. I have a few titles (e.g. Rick Wakeman Journey) that are sourced from commercial copies and they honestly sound fine, to me.
Of course the standard should be the masters, but more HH quad, in the best quality possible, is a good thing.

Back