HiRez Poll King Crimson - ISLANDS [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - ISLANDS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
Does anyone else hear a high-pitched noise in the track Islands? It starts somewhere around 6 minutes into the song. It sounds like my ear is ringing, but it's coming from the left speaker (on stereo). I've tested both CD and DVD-A and they both have it. Anyone else have this issue?

Only a decade later, but I just got this disc and am having the exact same issue. Is this what it's like to have tinnitus? Spectrogram view in Audacity does show a tone at around 17 or 18k starting near the six-minute mark.

Islands High-Frequency Tone.jpg

Only a decade later, but I just got this disc and am having the exact same issue. Is this what it's like to have tinnitus? Spectrogram view in Audacity does show a tone at around 17 or 18k starting near the six-minute mark.

I see this also with Audacity. Just when the trumpet start at aprox 06:00 in the two surround channels. But I cannot hear anything abnormal in my system, apart from a very slightly bothered trumpet by the high pitch. My ear cannot hear anything at such 17kHz high frequency.

Living in the South, we are (of course) subject to many rainstorms, and I love blasting this 5.1 loudly when one is in progress :D.

KC takes me back to my early youth. In that way, they will always live in my heart. And all the recent box releases are way beyond my teenage dreams / fantasies! So much so, I haven't explored it all yet. But I will eventually, and be grateful for the latter-day chance.

Listening to the DVD-A for the second time today.
This one is amazing, better than I remembered. This album deserves more attention, or at least I don't know many fans of it. And the 5.1 mix is perfect for me! The lyrics of Ladies of the Road haven't aged well, but it is so catchy, and that gorgeous vocal arrangement for the chorus...
An easy 10.

BTW, the first time I heard this record was in an awfull 4th generation argentian vinyl pressing, with the noise floor closer to the main vocals level! The 30th anniversary version was already a blessing to me, and then the surround mix elevates the experience to preposterous levels of blisfullness.

Listening to the DVD-A for the second time today.
This one is amazing, better than I remembered. This album deserves more attention, or at least I don't know many fans of it. And the 5.1 mix is perfect for me! The lyrics of Ladies of the Road haven't aged well, but it is so catchy, and that gorgeous vocal arrangement for the chorus...
An easy 10.

BTW, the first time I heard this record was in an awfull 4th generation argentian vinyl pressing, with the noise floor closer to the main vocals level! The 30th anniversary version was already a blessing to me, and then the surround mix elevates the experience to preposterous levels of blisfullness.

Same just happened to me.

The 5.1 mix really improves the listening experience.

Super job Steven Wilson on this one. Solid 10.

Islands has never been my favorite KC album. In fact, i've always thought it's hard to believe it's a KC album (only Sailor's tale really sounds "Crimsonian" by exaggerating a foot). But the melancolic "ambiance" has always been fascinating for me.
This 5.1 remix is a revelation. My EG CD was a very bad entry to this piece. I put a 10 without any reserve on the technical work.

Last edited:
How did I miss this poll?!

This 5.1 remix puts on a finishing touch that this album never had and opens up the fidelity in a shocking way!

My 1st copy was the late '80s EG half speed mastered vinyl. So a really classy introduction to begin with and I avoided some really bad copies apparently. This remix reinvents it in all the right ways.

Both this and Lizard are the "in between" albums for sure. These might be some of the best Wilson remixes though as he has brought them up near the standard of the rest of the albums in a way.

How did I miss this poll?!

This 5.1 remix puts on a finishing touch that this album never had and opens up the fidelity in a shocking way!

My 1st copy was the late '80s EG half speed mastered vinyl. So a really classy introduction to begin with and I avoided some really bad copies apparently. This remix reinvents it in all the right ways.

Both this and Lizard are the "in between" albums for sure. These might be some of the best Wilson remixes though as he has brought them up near the standard of the rest of the albums in a way.
"In between" is a very judicious wording.

Lizard is excellent.
I never picked up on all the hocketing going on throughout this album originally. Liked it well enough even if I might have called it "in between". Wilson essentially finished this mix and just nailed all those arrangement balances! Both of these albums are a light year beyond expectations!

I never picked up on all the hocketing going on throughout this album originally. Liked it well enough even if I might have called it "in between". Wilson essentially finished this mix and just nailed all those arrangement balances! Both of these albums are a light year beyond expectations!
There is no bad King Crimson albums, there is only albums not as good as others...

Last edited:
The worst would still be near the very top of my favorites list!
So... that's Earthbound, right? Best version of 21st Century Schizoid Man ever!
In fact, due to poor sound quality reported in all the reviews i could have read, i've never listen or buy this one. Should i change my point of view ?

Poor? Nah... much worse than that. But best version of 21CSM. A few other cool moments if you're in the right mood (for lo-fi). Some of the comments about the drum solo I read cracked me up... and are quite accurate. Earthbound is included in the box if you have the Islands bluray set.

Back