HiRez Poll Leprous - MELODIES OF ATONEMENT [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Leprous - MELODIES OF ATONEMENT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new album from Leprous entitled "Melodies of Atonement", which has been mixed in Dolby Atmos and 5.1 surround by Bruce Soord.

71wT7VT33OL._SL1500_.jpg

81lwCytUQZL._SL1500_.jpg

Musically - the album is great. Leprous has its own style, so if you like this band, you will definitely like it.
The 5.1 mix is very good. There is a bit going on in the back - additional guitars, synthesizers, sometimes backing vocals.
In Dolby Atmos I only listened to the first three tracks and unfortunately it is another Atmos mix of Bruce Soord, which I do not like. Too many main elements can be heard constantly from the overhead speakers, which is tiring for me - I mean the main vocals and a large part of the guitars. For me it is very unnatural. I know, Bruce has this style of Dolby Atmos mixing (I have albums by Katatonia, Jethro Tull, Yes, The Pineapple Thief, Tesseract), but I simply do not like it. When it comes to Atmos mixes - I definitely put Steven Wilson in the first place.
However, I emphasize that I love Bruce Soord's 5.1 mixes.
And this Leprous album - I recommend it!

EDIT:
I listened to the entire album in Atmos today and I actually like it. I'll still say that the lead vocals should be moved forward and lower from the top. I also think that there's a lot more going on in the back in the 5.1 mix.
I'd rate it like this:
5.1 mix - solid 8,
Atmos mix - 6.
And musically I like the album more and more. (y)

Last edited:
This band is brand new to me.
Never heard of Leprous before.
So I listened to one track on Apple and decided I liked it enough to purchase this release.
Another of the reasons is that Bruce Soord, a man whose mixing skills I greatly admire, 5.1 and Atmos, mixed it.
I have listened to this album multiple times as it is one of those releases which just pleases my ears in every way.
I thoroughly enjoyed the Atmos mix.

A melodic 10

Full disclosure, Leprous is one of my favorite bands. And although this is not (as of today) my favorite album of theirs, I think it still warrants a 10. I hope this rating isn’t overly influenced by the excitement of hearing this band released in surround for the first time.

When I first heard the Atmos stream in Apple Music on release day, it felt like a 9 to me. But then my blu-ray arrived and I actually kind of prefer the 5.1, which puts it up to 10.

Melodies of Atonement is one of the less proggy Leprous albums. No 10-minute epics, etc. That’s a bit of a shame, but Einar is such a good vocalist that he carries an album that is a little more concise and direct. And I think the directness and conciseness to the rock sound of this album seems to translate to 5.1 better than Atmos. Those big guitar heavy choruses sound…big. However, there are a fair amount of keyboard textures that work very well in the rear speakers, along with the backing vocals. Einar is mostly mixed front and center where he belongs. The surround mix elevates the music, as any good one should.

Back