Leprous "Melodies of Atonement" 2CD+BD-A w/ 5.1 & Atmos (InsideOut) 8/30/2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have bought this for the mix, the music is not that bad, but the price is too high. The price is the same that I paid for each of the Fish box sets, and they are of much more value to me.

The new album just arrived today, but I won't be back home until Wednesday, so it will have to wait. But I did listen to it yesterday on Tidal (stereo, with headphones). My first impression was pretty good. Leprous can be hit or miss for me, perhaps more than any other band I appreciate, so I wasn't sure what to expect despite having enjoyed the previously released songs from this album. It was reassuring to see that, at least to a certain extent, I liked every single song during that first spin, something I can't say about half of their releases. It seems less layered and more direct, as previously indicated by the band (no guest musicians, just the core of the band here) but it still seems to be interesting enough for a multichannel mix thanks to that modern synth work and some nice vocal hamonies. I'll check that hopefully soon.

If I had to rank their albums (from best to worst) it would look like this:

1) Bilateral
2) Pitfalls
3) Tall Poppy Syndrome
4) Aphelion
5) Malina
6) Coal
7) The Congregation

Judging by that first listen, I'd put the new album in 4th place, but that might change a lot with subsequent listens.

So, as you can see, it's almost the exact opposite of that Metal Hammer list. I know many people seem to hold The Congregation in high regard, but to me it's completely impenetrable despite numerous attempts to appreciate it throughout the years. I love the chorus of the song Third Law though, but that's about the only truly interesting bit of that album for me.

I don't understand exactly what is happening to mine. Days after I get a tracking number, it was just processed through Langley today.
Sort of anxious to hear them as I never heard of them until it was mentioned on QQ. So of course I ordered. :rolleyes:

I don't understand exactly what is happening to mine. Days after I get a tracking number, it was just processed through Langley today.
Sort of anxious to hear them as I never heard of them until it was mentioned on QQ. So of course I ordered. :rolleyes:
..and so today it arrived without notice or fanfare? Strange. Already got everything ripped and scanned. Ever scan an artbook in a printer sized scanner, taking multiple scans? Piece it together in PhotoShop? Well that's sorta my thang. Y'all know what I'm sayin'?

Shakespeare said: A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one. :unsure:
I may not be fly, but I'm the guy.

o_O

Captura de pantalla 2024-09-14 a las 18.26.57.png

Back