Listening now to this cassette

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I opted for a bit cheaper solution: dbx II simultaneous play/rec and an h/k 3 head, 3 motor w/B. C & hx pro. Bet my dbx cassettes are less noisy than many of your equivalent CD's. Not so compatible, I grant you.
I also went the DBX route even for Vinyl but the DBX encoded disc selection was 'sparse' at best. Also applied it to cassette recordings. Still, QL, 1.7/8 IPS from 15 or 30 ips masters is still a STRETCH.

We sold BASF at Pacific. Also TDK, MAXELL and Pacific Stereo brand, our private label cassettes and reels. Made for us by Ampex.

I used BASF FeCr for a while. They could easily get dropouts. I switched to a deck which could record on the new metal particle tape. Went back to TDK & Maxell.

Deface the Music - Utopia
Best of Lightnin Hopkins

Pacific Stereo brand, our private label cassettes and reels. Made for us by Ampex.
I have exactly one Pacific Stereo by Ampex reel...and it's the only one out of hundreds I own that clearly needs to be baked. And, of course, what's on it is an irreplaceable one-off. Grumble.

What's New Pussycat - Tom Jones
Inherited this from a Friend's Dad. First time I'm playing this tape. It is in a clear plastic case. Tape has Ampex paper labels and likely came in a soft black plastic snap case. No nr...

Reactions: GOS
What's New Pussycat - Tom Jones
Inherited this from a Friend's Dad. First time I'm playing this tape. It is in a clear plastic case. Tape has Ampex paper labels and likely came in a soft black plastic snap case. No nr...
A couple years ago I digitized a few of those Ampex cassettes, which I had gotten for Chr*stm*s circa 1972. All but one played fine, the one that didn't just needed to be mounted in a new shell, after which it played perfectly.

I'm in the process of digitizing all my cassettes recorded from radio, mainly interviews with Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, and Floyd. "Innerview" w/ Jim Ladd, Off the Record with Mary Turner, and Rockline mainly. But I have some Labor Day specials where they run down an entire band career (Stones) with the songs and albums interspersed with interview clips. I plan on using this content on YT. I also have the Roger Waters special where he runs down every track from The Wall album. The Stones interview and listening to the Emotional Rescue album.

I want to get rid of my tapes. And I just sold all of my TDK and Maxell cassettes for $1.50 each plus media shipping. After tossing out the ones with signs of wear, I had 130 tapes and it took me 30min. to find a buyer. So I just made $180 on used TDK and Maxell. Many were SA and SA-X, and XLII-S top of the line.

So anyway, I found a really cool tape stashed away in the collection which just got transferred to digital. A Holophonics by Zuccarelli Labs official demo. Cool effects in surround. But get this, there are three cuts (not found elsewhere) of Lee Oskar the harmonica player from War included. I must have fished this out of the used bin for .50 at some point. And nobody has up'd it to YouTube, so I have something cool here to put up on my channel.

Lots of cool bits I have come across. I have a Bud Light commercial by Adrian Belew (taped from mid-80s radio) which I don't think anyone has up'd yet. Some cool things.

I might even have a short Dylan interview of him discussing his new album on Columbia called Blood on the Tracks.

It's going to be fun clearing out the clutter, transferring and uploading a ton of unique recordings if I can stay one step ahead of the heat.

Last edited:
Bought my 1st used prerecorded cassette at a Vintage Stock store on the 60th anniversary (2023-08-30) of the intro of the compact cassette - Loggins & Messina Full Sail (Dolby B NR + it has the advisory about turning down the treble when listening on non-Dolby equip.).

A quick listening check using DPL 2 music - reasonably good fake surround sound when played on a Sony CFD-S70 boombox (without Dolby B NR), the sound quality is pretty good for being about 1/2 century old.

Kirk Bayne

20231103_163536.jpg

This is the first Beatles cassette I've ever bought!
I held off listening to the song yesterday so I could fire up the ol' tape deck. The song is... quite nice. I'm sure it means a lot to Paul and Ringo, so I'm happy for them 😊

this one I have in a promo cassette from when I used to work at Tower Boston 87-88, got another (used) copy which sounds REALLY good!..great lil' record and great Elvis cover...
MDQtMjc0Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

My latest cassette I picked up is Ric Ocasek Beatitude. Actually sounds pretty good for a prerecorded cassette on type I tape.
Got it to play in my car.
Sadly the music is too 80s sounding so do not like it as much as his second album This Side Of Paradise. My cassette of that one got a lot of play until the tape broke inside the shell. While I can easily replace the pressure pads breaking open the case to get at the tape is another matter. Was able to replace it with the CD version.

My cassette of Hendrix Nine To The Universe has developed the typical screeching and play stopping issues. I will replace it with the vinyl version. This album has never been released on CD so that is the only choice. Some great jams to listen to.
I may try some silicone spray on the tape and see if it helps.

Last edited:
Back