Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going back to one of my fave Atmos albums of recent times... Still sounds fantastic!

Wet Leg - Wet Leg 💦🦵
Superb indie/alt rock album with a great Atmos mix to boot... 🥾

This great Isle of Wight band are supporting Pulp at Finsbury Park this summer (sold out!). I'm still hoping to somehow snag a ticket... 🤞

Hopefully they'll follow up with another great album sometime soon...
Just in case anyone missed this - their stuff works nicely in Atmos also stripped down:
Too bad they had cancelled their gig at a festival nearby last summer...

Finally had a chance to listen to Sting's Nothing Like The Sun in atmos. There is a lot to say about this mix. On the positive side it is far better than the atmos version of The Dream of The Blue Turtles. No obvious huge mistakes made in the mix concerning level and frequency response on this one. It is also much better than the DTS CD once released which had a sharp and mid range focused mix with some very weird eq of instruments. I was so irritated by that sound that I did a remaster of it for my own use. I got to know the original well through the process. Nothing Like The Sun is a child of it's time in good and bad. It is from a time where it was in fashion to add reverbs to almost every instrument. The original mix of NLTS is no exception. Lots of reverbs and digital effects. And also a little thin sounding like many contemporary albums. Nevertheless it was always my favorite Sting solo album. Great songs and great musicians. The original mix mainly done by Neil Dorfsman and Hugh Padgham has a lot of details. In Robert Orton's Atmos mix some of these finer details are lost. Percussion sounds more distant and is lacking both in transient response and depth which I know is possible to achieve from the original recordings. I like that the thinness of the sound is bettered. It sounds like an update. I also like that some of the digital effect are toned down, but at the same time some of the album's mood and atmosphere is lost because the reverb work is so simplified compared to the original. I also think the decay time on a lot of the vocals and drums are too short and not wet enough on several of the tracks. It is a little too far from the original IMO. It's is an immersive mix, but som of the songs could have had a better spread of instruments. Check e.g. Little Wing. What's the point of having so much stuck in centre front? I love having this album in atmos, but can't listen to it without wondering how it would have sounded with Steven Wilson's precise recreation and upgrade with the proper matching of outboard gear, reverbs and an ear for the finer details. (Let's hope it's not to long until they release his take on ABC's Lexicon of Love. It has every possibility to become one of his best atmos mixes!)

Back