Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weird.. 🤔 ..and yucky indeed! 😅

similar mix approach to this?

the bulk of the track's in the Front L&R, with little accents, synth pads (?) and other vocal bits in the other channels but all at much lower volume in the rest of the channels (including the Heights) than the Fronts, so the Front soundstage totally dominates.
You Dropped A Bomb On Me is an extreme example of Front/Rear channel volume discrepancy. Here is what the track looks like in 5.1 from Tidal and then after I adjusted channel volumes.
bombuntouched.jpg

bombvolumegain.jpg

Sadly, seems like a double stereo mix for this album. Actually sounded more discrete on my headphones than on a true surround system. Anyone else hear differently?
I put one of the songs from Full Moon Dirty Hearts, The Messenger, into Audacity and took a closer listen to the different channels with headphones. The odd thing is that different elements seem louder in different channels of the mix, though they're not totally discrete. Comparing front right to back right at 0:39 (end of chorus), for example, there are hand claps and then the de-tuned distortion (or slightly flat) guitar that are louder in back right. There's also less bass back in the back right. In the front right, there are still hand claps and de-tuned guitar, but they are much lower in the mix. Can this be accomplished with only EQ and not actually different mixing levels on the tracks? I don't know.

You Dropped A Bomb On Me is an extreme example of Front/Rear channel volume discrepancy. Here is what the track looks like in 5.1 from Tidal and then after I adjusted channel volumes.
View attachment 99348
View attachment 99349
i'd be curious as to what's going on musically in channels 5 & 6 / the Rears?

i doubt it's all that much, i was trying out this song earlier in 7.1.4 and every channel apart from 1 & 2 / the Front L&R just had some low level kinda trivial sound effect or isolated vocal or something, not any of the meat of the track at all, or anything that felt like it would necessarily be fundamental to the track?

i'd be curious as to what's going on musically in channels 5 & 6 / the Rears?

i doubt it's all that much, i was trying out this song earlier in 7.1.4 and every channel apart from 1 & 2 / the Front L&R just had some low level kinda trivial sound effect or isolated vocal or something, not any of the meat of the track at all, or anything that felt like it would necessarily be fundamental to the track?
You’re correct. The rear channels are most notably used for ancillary sound effects such as the sound of a falling bomb.

You’re correct. The rear channels are most notably used for ancillary sound effects such as the sound of a falling bomb.
there's seemingly the odd keyboard part, synth pads and harmony vocals in various channels popping up here and there in the Surrounds and Surround Backs and the Heights.. but aside from the faintly comic bomb dropping whistling sound effect in the Rears (5 & 6) which is also up in the Front Heights (weeeeeee! 💣 ) which i guess was supposed to simulate the feeling of the bomb dropping from in front and above the listener to behind the listener on the floor (?) if that was what they were going for?

everything else is all so low in the mix it's drowned out by the Front L&R which have like 90% of the tracks contents, so any effect of placement of any of the keys, synths, vocals etc anywhere else but upfront is lost 🤯

Jimmy Buffet!
edit...
Beat me to it. I should have refreshed the page. The other songs from a few months ago sounded good. I have good hopes for this.

Back