Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, but I think Rhino has enough surround material from The Dead to do a multi-album box akin the recent Joni Mitchell Asylum Years set.
I thought I remembered a statement somewhere from Steven W awhile back that his mixes were part of a larger project the Dead had planned which would tie into this idea.

Could you please provide a link to the version of the album with the atmos tracks? I'm in Canada and tried what you said - clicking on multiple versions of How Much I Feel on Apple Music which were on multiple comps but non were Atmos and can only see one vsn of Life Beyond LA. Frustrating

Ick posted links to the two Atmos tracks back in post #12,620 of this thread, so you should be able to find them from those. I think the album link is:

But as Ick said later, the mixes aren't discrete at all, they seem to be stereo-everywhere, and on my 5.1 system, the center channel is silent.

The latest Bryan Ferry compilation album is out, looking forward to checking it out tomorrow.
Isn't it a Bob Clearmountain mix, BTW?
here we go! πŸ₯³πŸ˜»βœŒοΈ

Oh yes, these definitely sound like Clearmountain's work. Heavy use of center, but lots of discrete stuff all around. The horns in "Let's Stick Together" come blaring from the rear, just as I'd hoped.

it was in a way a slightly strange choice to start remixing Queen's albums in Atmos (if that's what this is, the start of a remixing programme, i mean) as it's such a basic original recording but it feels like they've eeked some cool stuff out of the tapes and if it is indeed the start of a series (we know it seldom usually is with these things! πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ ) then it's a good place to start and i can see why the band felt like the album needed some sprucing up in a way, maybe.

there's definitely been some jiggery-pokery going on, drums sound so modern it's almost as if they've been re-recorded but they have nice oomph so they're not like crisp packets now! πŸ™ŒπŸ˜‹

the basic Atmos layout remains the same throughout, the bulk of the track (rhythm section and Freddie's Vocals) are mostly in the Front Left and Right.

there's no isolated vocals hard in the Centre that i could detect (although i wasn't exactly expecting them to be mixed that way i was still disappointed, if that makes any sense at all.!? 😜🀣 ) and Freddie's vocal is often sent reverbed to other channels.

backing vocals are often in the Rears/Surround Backs and a lot of lovely heroic guitar work pops up and pans about the Sides/Rears/Surround Backs to great effect! 🎸⚑️πŸ₯°

the "i just get two steps nearer to my grave" refrain in "Keep Yourself Alive" pops up behind you from the Surround Backs for instance, which is rather fun!

the tracks with the most use of the Heights are i would say "My Fairy King" (guitar sweeps suitably majestically from above!) and "Jesus" (refrain vocals blast out from on high!) however, most tracks barely do anything interesting or much at all with the Heights apart from muted Freddie vocals (tantalisingly isolated.. if they weren't so grungey thanks to Atmos streaming compression i may just listen to them in isolation for fits and giggles πŸ‘€πŸ˜…).

"Modern Times Rock n Roll" has Roger's vocal blasting out up there at full pelt everyw now and again in the track, which is definitely a cool move.

i'm out for the rest of the day now but will revisit the mix over the weekend.
right now, after one proper full listen to the mix in aggregate (in 7.1.4) and a 2nd bitty listen picking bits of the mix apart,
i'd say i'm happy enough with the Surround-y-ness of it, by and large.

hopefully they tackle Queen II next 🀞that could benefit from a remix more than this one tbh, also it's one of my all-time favourite albums by anyone and easily in my Queen Top 5 LPs so keeping everything crossed for that and pleased as Punch for what we have now πŸ™πŸ˜œ

Underworld's new album Strawberry Hotel is out today, sadly it doesn't appear it's in Atmos anywhere despite at least one of the singles (Denver Luna) being mixed in Atmos. Great dynamics though, DR9 for an electronic album's stereo mix in 2024? Damn!

Back