Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The DTS-CD used the '70s quad mix, while the DVD-V has a new 5.1 remix from the multis by Ed Cherney (also responsible for the 5.1's of Bonnie Raitt's Nick Of Time and The Wallflowers' Red Letter Days). Curiously, both surround mixes omit the majority of the "Space Intro" that comes before the title track (missing multis?). I tend to opt for the 5.1 as the sonics are superior and the mix is a bit more adventurous, but the quad is a fun listen too as there are some interesting alternate bits like the extended version of "Take The Money & Run".
Thanks, Jonathan, for the clarity on the mix.

I have both the DTS CD version, and this one. The DVD-Video version from Edsel label. This version has a fairly different mix in places. One of my favorite parts is during Fly Like And Eagle. The "tick/tock" is in rears (left, then right). On the DTS CD, that part is more anchored in the front (or maybe center....certainly not rears)

View attachment 59138

And, just to say the obvious.....this has got to be one of the most KILLER album covers of all time. I mean, he is in FULL head-bang mode. hahahahaha...love it.

This arrived today.
1604971627819.jpeg

that is absolutely AWESOME! I LOVE the release--gives my system a great workout! Did you have anything to do with The Complex?
https://www.discogs.com/Blue-Man-Group-The-Complex/release/532953
The complex was the live DVD if I remember right. For that one, I was involved in the process of choosing what sizes of drums were best for the drum setups, as well as the acquisition/purchase of the drums, which were made by an Austin based drum company called Fibes. At the time, they were the only folks making clear drums. Since then, those kind of drums have become more popular and common again. The Complex was kind of a result of the work that went into the Audio DVDA as well as the first Vegas show, where BMG expanded on the original 3 piece band that had been in the existing shows up until that time. The backing musicians on that DVD are a 'murderers row' of killer players, and great folks, to boot.

Last edited:
Back