Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I continue my Myutopia DVD-A deep dive for @steelydave . Here is another active 5.1 mix and more from the press release:
DJ Motiv8 From Hip Hop to Drum and Bass – Producer, DJ Motiv8 has established himself as one of the most respected figures in the hip-hop world using his signature "electro-organic" sound. He has produced tracks for Madonna, Billy Idol, 'N Sync, members of Bell Biv Devoe, Jurassic 5, and Black Eyed Peas. This DVD-Audio disc incorporates a true blend of hip hop with a drum-n-bass tempo, featuring Tippa Irie, MC Twileeze, Dante Santiago, Goldenboy the MC and others.
Another sound explosion winner from Myutopia!
View attachment 107393 https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-cell-series-mw0000392399
https://www.discogs.com/release/1359842-DJ-Motiv8-From-Hip-Hop-To-Drum-And-Bass

What are these mixes like in terms of instrument placement, generally? Any ping pong movement or swirls or just static mixes, and do the mixes vary from track to track?

What are these mixes like in terms of instrument placement, generally? Any ping pong movement or swirls or just static mixes, and do the mixes vary from track to track?
Sometimes the fronts and backs are "big stereo" with vocals isolated in the center or across the fronts. The mixes vary from track to track. Sometimes the bass is isolated in the center. Often vocals will bounce back and forth (I'm thinking of DJ Haul and Mason) between fronts and rears. The music is mostly electronic, so sometimes synths will be isolated in the rears or record scratching shows up there. It may have something to do with the age of the tracks, too: some of the music is contemporaneous and those mixes are more sophisticated; some of the music is from mid- to late-90s or unreleased and those tracks have less surround action. All in all, i'm enjoying this revist, though i will take a break or two given that i prefer a more eclectic ride when sating my surround muse!

Last edited:
JMA - THE HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS
Rhino Quadio/Atmos 7.1

* I'm a little conflicted by these, I enjoy the Atmos 7.1 mixes/sound much better than the Quad. However, some of the Quad instrumentation has a more interesting rear mix for me than the Atmos. The problem for the Quads, is that Joni's vocals are mixed sort of center/everywhere, which I don't like at all. The Atmos has her main vocals up front and Center like I prefer. So, a bit of a miss all around; but still a great set to finally have!

JMA THOSL ATMOS 7.1.jpg

More Myutopia magic! This one has some nice surround action with vocals and live instrumentation. From the press release:
DJ Haul & Mason –DJ Ha ul and Mason, LA's 4 turntable demolition team, offer rare and unreleased tracks guaranteed to blow both speakers and minds. Collaborating with a diverse group of LA area musicians and MCs, the dynamic duo fuse live instrumentation with a traditional hip-hop style production reflective of their myriad projects over the past years. DJ Haul & Mason captures a modern beat architecture that is both straight up hip-hop and uniquely LA.
Mind blown!
DJ Haul & Mason.png
https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-cell-series-mw0000391910
https://www.discogs.com/release/1363844-DJ-Haul-Mason-DJ-Haul-Mason

More Myutopia magic! This one has some nice surround action with vocals and live instrumentation. From the press release:
DJ Haul & Mason –DJ Ha ul and Mason, LA's 4 turntable demolition team, offer rare and unreleased tracks guaranteed to blow both speakers and minds. Collaborating with a diverse group of LA area musicians and MCs, the dynamic duo fuse live instrumentation with a traditional hip-hop style production reflective of their myriad projects over the past years. DJ Haul & Mason captures a modern beat architecture that is both straight up hip-hop and uniquely LA.
Mind blown!
View attachment 107410 https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-cell-series-mw0000391910
https://www.discogs.com/release/1363844-DJ-Haul-Mason-DJ-Haul-Mason
I haven't thought about those in a long time. I've got 1-8 of the Cell series.

Time traveller:>) Jethro Tull Broadsword Jan. 27, 2023 Check Disc :alien: The difference is menu spelling...affects the sound...:LOL:;)
kxBRwWA.jpeg

Synthetic chiefs with frozen smiles holding unsteady courses.
Grip the reins of history, high on their battle horses.
And meeting as good statesmen do before the T.V.
eyes of millions, hand to hand exchange the lie -
pretend to make the clasp.

Time traveller:>) Jethro Tull Broadsword Jan. 27, 2023 Check Disc :alien: The difference is menu spelling...affects the sound...:LOL:;)
kxBRwWA.jpeg

Synthetic chiefs with frozen smiles holding unsteady courses.
Grip the reins of history, high on their battle horses.
And meeting as good statesmen do before the T.V.
eyes of millions, hand to hand exchange the lie -
pretend to make the clasp.
Yeah that's the way I spell disc as well. MS tries to push DISK down our throats. lol.

Djabe & Steve Hackett. I honestly don't understand why there aren't more Djabe fans on QQ.
Anyway...Djabe & Steve Hackett - Back To Gyor. Simply superb.

View attachment 107427
i'm a fan! 🙋🏻‍♀️🤩🙌
(i just got a bit sidetracked the last few years by ye olde Quad records and tapes! 👀🤣 )

IMG_9041.jpeg

from top L; "Take On" DVD-A, "Slices Of Life" DVD-V, "Sheafs Are Dancing" DVD-A, "Update" DVD-A, "Forward" DVD-A, "Witchi Tai To" DVD-A.

think i have a few more Djabe gems tucked away (maybe more DVD-V than DVD-A’s? 🤔 ) but these were handy dandy on the shelf so took a quick pic for forum fits 'n giggles 🥳😋

i'm a fan! 🙋🏻‍♀️🤩🙌
(i just got a bit sidetracked the last few years by ye olde Quad records and tapes! 👀🤣 )

View attachment 107441

from top L; "Take On" DVD-A, "Slices Of Life" DVD-V, "Sheafs Are Dancing" DVD-A, "Update" DVD-A, "Forward" DVD-A, "Witchi Tai To" DVD-A.

think i have a few more Djabe gems tucked away (maybe more DVD-V than DVD-A’s? 🤔 ) but these were handy dandy on the shelf so took a quick pic for forum fits 'n giggles 🥳😋
I'm mos' def' a fan! A search of my discogs collection reveals 11 discs (plus a pair with Hackett). I would LOVE to see more poll threads for Djabe releases (i can only find 5).

Back