Rhino Blu-Rays not indicating Atmos signal on AVR

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brand new from Rhino-Seal I first released 1991, this new Atmos version released 9/6/2024.
Pretty dang good. Volume on the upside brings out the little things.
Ripped Blu Ray-MKV file-24bit/48Khz. DR's are 13's, 14's, 15, 17, 18.
View attachment 109100
Atmos did not light up on my receiver when playing this. I had to choose one of the several DD options instead. Am I missing something? Same is true for Carley Simon and Chicago. Atmos did light up for Black Sabbath.

Atmos did not light up on my receiver when playing this. I had to choose one of the several DD options instead. Am I missing something? Same is true for Carley Simon and Chicago. Atmos did light up for Black Sabbath.
It is best if QQ members don't pay attention to me as I think I tend to lay on the upbeat side.

It is best if QQ members don't pay attention to me as I think I tend to lay on the upbeat side.
I tend to be on the upbeat side myself...and, I enjoy your posts. But I've got a feeling something's not right with the Rhino Atmos series. Just checked my first bundle and the Doors lights up Atmos on my receiver, but not for Fleetwood Mac, Hootie and the Blowfish, and Alanis Morissette.

I tend to be on the upbeat side myself...and, I enjoy your posts. But I've got a feeling something's not right with the Rhino Atmos series. Just checked my first bundle and the Doors lights up Atmos on my receiver, but not for Fleetwood Mac, Hootie and the Blowfish, and Alanis Morissette.
I just popped in Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and my Sony STR-DN1080 lights up as Atmos.

I do, and gave it a try, but ATMOS did not appear in the display. On the other hand, The Doors and Black Sabbath display ATMOS immediately--as do my other ATMOS discs.
Yeah, my rhino atmos discs automatically start playing straight away. Do you have many other atmos discs to try to narrow down if it’s only this one?

I understand your point.
I'll start with what Clement stated above.
This is my own personal experience visual signal strength only.
My foundation speakers have two amps with needles, easy to see what's working and not. As an example Steven Wilson style of vocals center channel, a no brainer, all the time.
My height speakers have there own amp, but works a bit different, the two needles are a average of the fronts and the rears. There is a signal strength light also, this is the main focus. Albums that have great height strength, those strength signal lights fire right up, and the two needles are all in. Sometimes when listening to streaming ATMOS the height speakers do not even have a signal, even though it is a Dolby Atmos signal.
Ok, that's my visual experience on my own personal rig.

Next my audio experience, ears only.
One thing that I like about a good strong signal in Atmos is the bubble of sound, however this does not mean objects are all over the place.
The different versions of Atmos music I have listened to are literally all over the place.
Most common with a good signal, meaning all speakers firing with great strength.
1. Full envelope of sound.
2. Full envelope of sound, heights kind of reverb only but a lot of action on the floor foundation.
3. Full envelope of sound, floor and height speakers getting a lot of fun movement, things moving and tinkling all over the place.

It goes without saying there are degrees, multiples, of my 3 versions above, but when I vote on a Atmos mix, the above 3 are my first criteria.

I know for a fact that others can explain better than me, but I am always by myself when I listen and I have learned how to listen better by being a member of QQ, but as I said, it's just me by myself.

To me a very important factor should be considered and that is my mood, if I am rushed, forget it. New release music usually sounds better to me after a full album listen, the second or third time. I don't like to comment generally on a one time listen. Sometimes I have pen and paper while listening. I always find it funny when a member of QQ types "I'm half way through the first track and this is great".
But I understand as sometimes I type and make mistakes also.

Yeah, my rhino atmos discs automatically start playing straight away. Do you have many other atmos discs to try to narrow down if it’s only this one?
Of my Rhino Atmos discs, Black Sabbath and The Doors are the only 2 (out of 8) that display ATMOS immediately (like my other ATMOS discs). If you purchased the bundles, are you seeing ATMOS displayed on your receiver for all disc?

Of my Rhino Atmos discs, Black Sabbath and The Doors are the only 2 (out of 8) that display ATMOS immediately (like my other ATMOS discs). If you purchased the bundles, are you seeing ATMOS displayed on your receiver for all disc?
I bought the doors, fleetwood mac and hootie from the first bundle, all of them show atmos straight away. I wont be buying any of the new batch so cant help you out there, maybe your player needs an update is all I can think of, something to do with how the discs are encoded?

I bought the doors, fleetwood mac and hootie from the first bundle, all of them show atmos straight away. I wont be buying any of the new batch so cant help you out there, maybe your player needs an update is all I can think of, something to do with how the discs are encoded?
Will see if an update helps. Thank you.

No problem on my Onkyo TX-RZ50 with Rhino Atmos.
If you can manually flip through the surround settings with the remote it might help, IDK.
I mostly rip to .iso then I use PowerDVD Ultra to listen.....sometimes it gets stuck on doing it's on decoding and i have to switch it to bitstream.

I popped Alanis into my Sony X800 and my Onkyo R695 automatically went into Atmos mode

Back