Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Columbia rereleased this as "The First Songs". It is a crime against humanity that she died so young.

Doug
Unless I'm mistaken, Doug, The First Songs didn't get a digital remaster upgrade when Al Quaglieri and Mark Wilder revisited the bulk of Laura Nyro's catalog some twenty odd years ago. The old Columbia CD is a mess. Not only is the mastering bad, but for some strange reason they rearranged the tracks from their original running order. It's a shoddy release overall that was obviously done with little care. They didn't even get the spelling of "Goodbye Joe" correct. More Than A New Discovery never got a proper CD release until Rev-Ola issued it in 2008. I believe the most recent remaster is the Real Gone twofer that contains the MONO version of the record. That remaster is solid, albeit there is no stereo. Either one of the remasters is ten times better than the old clunky Columbia mashup. As always, YMMV, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. LOL!

The First Songs.jpg

A Little Magic... (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy for 1960 Think is a great song. I was lucky to see him in the 1990s at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles.

Here are a couple for you, the Beatles of Mississippi with a lead singer who looked like Peter Noone...The Gants. I Wonder is a keeper song. Also the Beau Brummels underrated Triangle, mildly folk psych.

Attachments

• IMG_20240225_085530855_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240225_085530855_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240225_085557913.jpg
    IMG_20240225_085557913.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Rhino has always done a great job of exploiting its popular NUGGETS brand. And, here's another compilation you can add to the list... Love Is The Song We Sing (San Francisco Nuggets 1965 - 1970.) There is much to like about this 4-disc CD collection, aside from the horrible inset sleeves perfectly designed to scratch your discs when you want to remove them. LOL! The 120 page hardcover book the set is packaged in is a breezy read with interesting factoids and some great vintage group photos. Here's a representative taste of the 77-track compilation.

Love Is The Song We Sing (front).jpg

Love Is The Song We Sing (back).jpg

A couple of years later, (I mentioned they were good at this) Rhino followed up with another 4-disc NUGGETS set called Where The Action Is! Los Angeles Nuggets 1965 - 1968. Despite the same ultra annoying disc holder sleeve thing and a hardcover book with fewer pages (48), to me, this is the better collection. I think it is more varied, includes more rarities and is way more eclectic, which in my book is a really good thing. This time around 101 tracks are jammed onto the four CDs. Here's a taste...

Where The Action Is! (front).jpg

Where The Action Is! (back).jpg

Rhino has always done a great job of exploiting its popular NUGGETS brand. And, here's another compilation you can add to the list... Love Is The Song We Sing (San Francisco Nuggets 1965 - 1970.) There is much to like about this 4-disc CD collection, aside from the horrible inset sleeves perfectly designed to scratch your discs when you want to remove them. LOL! The 120 page hardcover book the set is packaged in is a breezy read with interesting factoids and some great vintage group photos. Here's a representative taste of the 77-track compilation.

Instant buy for me on release in 2007, as a fan of the SF scene from afar since I became a teen in 1967.
Project assistance credit to our own @ForagingRhino .

The book is spectacular, with previously unseen photography and notes on the famous and obscure.
Starting with the front inside cover photo by the great Jim Marshall.

1708881913417.jpeg

1708881999982.jpeg

As for the CDs, they were removed to jewel cases to travel in the car with me, until I retired & got off the road.
Now safely in poly sleeves in their spot in the back cover of the book.

A couple of years later, (I mentioned they were good at this) Rhino followed up with another 4-disc NUGGETS set called Where The Action Is! Los Angeles Nuggets 1965 - 1968. Despite the same ultra annoying disc holder sleeve thing and a hardcover book with fewer pages (48), to me, this is the better collection. I think it is more varied, includes more rarities and is way more eclectic, which in my book is a really good thing. This time around 101 tracks are jammed onto the four CDs. Here's a taste...

View attachment 102264
View attachment 102265

Kaleidoscope - Pulsating Dream
View attachment 102266

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - If You Want This Love
View attachment 102267

The Yellow Balloon - Yellow Balloon
View attachment 102268

The Rising Sons - Take A Giant Step
View attachment 102269

Sagittarius - The Truth Is Not Real (Mono Single Version)
View attachment 102270

Van Dyke Parks - Come To The Sunshine
View attachment 102271

Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart - Words (Demo)
View attachment 102272

Great compilation of previously unheard tracks!

Discovered this on Apple Music, incomplete due to licensing issues, but the track listings are complete even if they don't play.
Searching individual tracks on Apple allowed me to make a playlist that filled most of the gaps.

Just listened to the final ten cuts on Disc 4 on a walk the sunshine a few days ago.
Tracks 94-96 feature acoustic & electric sitars that trip me out every time! ☮️ ✌️

1708883226619.png

Last edited:

You are, without a doubt, the king of compilations, Uncle Obscure.

Holy Barbenheimer, Batman! Just imagine you're the son of Elliot and Ruth Handler the founders of Mattel Toy Company. Your sister is THAT Barbie and you're THAT Ken in real life. Sounds crazy, right? But, it's true. And, somewhere along the way, your folks set you up with your own recording studio so you can live out your rock 'n' roll dreams (and also be a convenient tax shelter for the family business.) Then, you go and sign a duo to your record label, Canterbury. Thanks to Ken Handler, that is precisely how The New Wave came into being. Leave it to the great Steve Stanley to dig up this gem of an album and give it the Now Sounds treatment. Little Dreams: The Canterbury Recordings collects all of The New Wave's output circa 1966-1967. The originals are, for the most part, excellent (especially "Little Dreams.") And, their rendition of "Autrefois (J'ai Aime Une Femme)" from Jacques Demy's 1964 film, "The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg," is a real standout. Check it out below...

The New Wave (front).jpg

The New Wave (back).jpg

Holy Barbenheimer, Batman! Just imagine you're the son of Elliot and Ruth Handler the founders of Mattel Toy Company. Your sister is THAT Barbie and you're THAT Ken in real life. Sounds crazy, right? But, it's true. And, somewhere along the way, your folks set you up with your own recording studio so you can live out your rock 'n' roll dreams (and also be a convenient tax shelter for the family business.) Then, you go and sign a duo to your record label, Canterbury. Thanks to Ken Handler, that is precisely how The New Wave came into being. Leave it to the great Steve Stanley to dig up this gem of an album and give it the Now Sounds treatment. Little Dreams: The Canterbury Recordings collects all of The New Wave's output circa 1966-1967. The originals are, for the most part, excellent (especially "Little Dreams.") And, their rendition of "Autrefois (J'ai Aime Une Femme)" from Jacques Demy's 1964 film, "The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg," is a real standout. Check it out below...

View attachment 102285
View attachment 102286

The New Wave - Little Dreams
View attachment 102287

The New Wave - Autrefois (J'ai Aime Une Femme)
View attachment 102288

The New Wave - Shadows Of Goodbye
View attachment 102289
And yet another one for my “gotta get me on of these” discs!

Back