Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There you go. Perfect! This was not an option when I bought the box, but, it was also long before the box went out of print and I managed to snag it on sale. Since it clearly states that the comp is taken from the same 2018 box set mastering, I'm sure it will sound fantastic. You won't be disappointed!
BTW, Amazon's price for this 2 disc compilation is actually $9 cheaper than Deep Discount's price and it will be delivered TOMORROW via PRIME!

https://www.deepdiscount.com/the-girl-from-chickasaw-county-highlights/600753956533

Reactions: GOS
Spirit...self titled debut from 1968. No need to say more. Enjoy!

View attachment 102113
View attachment 102114

Spirit - Fresh Garbage (1968)
View attachment 102115

Spirit - Taurus (1968)
View attachment 102116

Spirit - Uncle Jack (1968)
View attachment 102117

Spirit - Topanga Windows (1968)
View attachment 102118
"Taurus" was the center of a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for pilching a riff for "Stairway to Heaven."
It lost, but because Spirit was on tour with them, and played it, I can see a justification for the lawsuit.

And finally (for today at least), I think we here are too US / UK focused (note the one "s").

Greece is one of my favorite vacation sites, mostly for archaeology, but I like to go to flea
markets (sadly degraded in the Plaka, last time I visited, due to corporate takeover, sigh)
and search for 60s Greek rock.

Even without that, there are several fine compilations around. The best are 70s, really, and who
can forget Poll and Vangelis, but there are gems from the 60s:

Last edited:
1968 was such a crazy year. With everything that happened, in some respects it felt more like a decade than a single year. It was certainly a time of great experimentation in music and there is possibly no more of an experimental rock album in 1968 than the self titled debut from The United States Of America. It is difficult to categorize their sound...it is certainly psychedelic, but they also used lots of electronics and unorthodox combinations of instruments seamlessly woven into stream-of-consciousness song snippets. For as bizarre as it sounds, it somehow all managed to come together and make...some sense. The brain child of Joe Byrd, the album also benefits greatly Dorothy Moskowitz vocal stylings. Like I say...1968...it's the only possible explanation.

The United States Of America (front).jpg

The United States Of America (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1968 was such a crazy year. With everything that happened, in some respects it felt more like a decade than a single year. It was certainly a time of great experimentation in music and there is possibly no more of an experimental rock album in 1968 than the self titled debut from The United States Of America. It is difficult to categorize their sound...it is certainly psychedelic, but they also used lots of electronics and unorthodox combinations of instruments seamlessly woven into stream-of-consciousness song snippets. For as bizarre as it sounds, it somehow all managed to come together and make...some sense. The brain child of Joe Byrd, the album also benefits greatly Dorothy Moskowitz vocal stylings. Like I say...1968...it's the only possible explanation.

View attachment 102184
View attachment 102185

The United States Of America - The American Metaphysical Circus (1968)
View attachment 102186

The United States Of America - The Garden Of Earthly Delights (1968)
View attachment 102187

The United States Of America - The American Way Of Love (1968)
View attachment 102188
Cool!!
Music for people tripping played by people tripping.
This would have came in handy for me about 40 years ago. Unfortunately never heard of them and the ship has sailed.

One year later in 1969, Joe Byrd was back, but The United States Of America was no more. This time he resurfaced as Joe Byrd And The Field Hippies with a new album entitled, The American Metaphysical Circus (go figure!) Not quite as successful as its predecessor, it does however, have its moments. Byrd has a tendency to run amok without his previous band mates and Dorothy Moskowitz vocals are sorely missed. Still, it's worth a listen.

Joe Byrd And The Field Hippies (front).jpg

Joe Byrd And The Field Hippies (back).jpg

One year later in 1969, Joe Byrd was back, but The United States Of America was no more. This time he resurfaced as Joe Byrd And The Field Hippies with a new album entitled, The American Metaphysical Circus (go figure!) Not nearly as successful as its predecessor, it does however, have its moments. Byrd has a tendency to run amok without his previous band mates and Dorothy Moskowitz vocals are sorely missed. Still, it's worth a listen.

View attachment 102189
View attachment 102190

Joe Byrd And The Field Hippies - The Sub‐Sylvian Litanies: Kalyani / You Can't Ever Come Down / Moonsong Pelog (1969)
View attachment 102191
Wow, I think I like this better than the previous. Good stuff

As mentioned previously, in the mid-Sixties, Columbia Records hustled their roster of artists in and out recording studios at break-neck speed. But, even for them, I believe two new Buckinghams albums in the span of six months in 1967 must be some kind of record. Yet, amazingly, each album is pretty terrific. James William Guercio is operating at peak power and the band sounds great as ever. Plus, the hits...they're cooking on all cylinders here! It made perfect sense for Bob Irwin to release a remastered Time & Charges and Portraits together on a single CD. BTW, his mastering remains the best version of this twofer disc. In addition to the hits, don't miss "You Are Gone." Absolutely gorgeous, killer pop track.

The Buckinghams (front).jpg

The Buckinghams (back).jpg

Without question, one of the finest and most influential debut albums to come out of the mid-Sixties is Laura Nyro's, 1966 classic, More Than A New Discovery. Originally signed to the Verve Folk label, after this startling debut, Columbia Records quickly snatched her up. As good as her early Columbia albums are (and they sure are!) there is an extra bit of magic at play here. The laundry list of brilliant songs on display is dazzling and downright staggering. Classic in every sense of the word and beautifully produced, too. Rev-Ola's stunning 2008 remaster is easily the best way to experience this fantastic album on disc. More Than A New Discovery...Indeed!

View attachment 102134
View attachment 102135

Laura Nyro - And When I Die (1966)
View attachment 102136

Laura Nyro - Blowin' Away (1966)
View attachment 102137

Laura Nyro - Billiy's Blues (1968)
View attachment 102138

Laura Nyro - Wedding Bell Blues (1966)
View attachment 102139

Laura Nyro - Stoney End (1966)
View attachment 102140

Columbia rereleased this as "The First Songs". It is a crime against humanity that she died so young.

Doug

It really is hard to beat this as a sixties song, sung by the incredible Signe Anderson who was at least the equal of Grace Slick. This is the alternate take which I prefer as it's a bit "grittier" than the standard version.

I have been listening to this album a lot. lately. and it has taken its place as tied with ABAB as my favorite JA albums.

Doug

I have to agree with Gos I quite like the selection you chose from Joe Boyd and the Field Hippies. I never had the album my friend got it but I don't remember hearing it
Thanks for posting this and United States of America.
I always felt Garden of Earthly Delights could have been released as a single. Was it?
I understand the CD has bonus tracks
Not for every one but this was a period in history when experimental music could be recorded and released and we are the richer for it
You could be right @Uncle Obscure that 1968 was the best year.

And finally (for today at least), I think we here are too US / UK focused (note the one "s").

Greece is one of my favorite vacation sites, mostly for archaeology, but I like to go to flea
markets (sadly degraded in the Plaka, last time I visited, due to corporate takeover, sigh)
and search for 60s Greek rock.

Even without that, there are several fine compilations around. The best are 70s, really, and who
can forget Poll and Vangelis, but there are gems from the 60s:

The dancing girls all look so beautiful and graceful but the guys look like dorks.

:D

Doug

Cool!!
Music for people tripping played by people tripping.
This would have came in handy for me about 40 years ago. Unfortunately never heard of them and the ship has sailed.

We took trips up to the Twin Cities to go to concerts. Oh, or wasn't that your meaning?

I know, a damn drug joke.

:D

Doug

Not a chance!
I finished watching the rest of "The 60's", DLJ.

Now I think I know why my memories weren't all positive about the movie....
That ridiculous, made for TV, happy Hallmark ending. It kind of undermined the seriousness of all the crap that they all endured for the first 3 hours. LOL..

Don't get me wrong, everyone loves a happy ending and it certainly felt good, but come on....

With all that said it was still a good ride. If I'm still around, I will watch again it in another 20 years.

I finished watching the rest of "The 60's", DLJ.

Now I think I know why my memories weren't all positive about the movie....
That ridiculous, made for TV, happy Hallmark ending. It kind of undermined the seriousness of all the crap that they all endured for the first 3 hours. LOL..

Don't get me wrong, everyone loves a happy ending and it certainly felt good, but come on....

With all that said it was still a good ride. If I'm still around, I will watch again it in another 20 years.

I kinda like the ending it reminded me of what didn't happen with an old love. I was happy to see it worked out for them. :love:

James Brown / Star Time - It's 1965 I'm a junior at Westmont High, Campbell, CA. JB was very popular in our school so when we heard he was coming to the San Jose Civic my buddy and I got 4 tickets, my first concert, I was so stoked!!! This is pre-hippie days, I was styling my suede boots, pegged slacks, dressed shirt (sweater optional) and sporting a jellyroll hair style. Prime for the concert we headed out, much to our surprise after we got seated and looked around we were the only white people there. James came out and we were mesmerized just blown away. To this day it was not only my first concert but the best concert I've ever seen!!! This is a great box set covering his most significant recordings the sound quality is good and the amazing SM3 makes the stereo tracks sound much better. Here's some selections for your listening pleasure:

"Think" (1960)
"Night Train" (1961)
"Prisoner Of Love" (1962) in my top 5 JB tunes
" It's A Man's Man's Man's World" (1966) in my top 5 JB tunes
James Brown:Star Time.jpg

Back