Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crow was a great band.

The little "I Love You" riff has been stuck in my head (I dislike the term, "earworm") since it was posted the other day.

Doug

Johnny Rivers is a true American original. His uncanny ability to weave songs in and out of different musical genres has served him well over his highly successful multi-decade career. He had a particularly fertile period in the mid to late sixties with several big hits. In 1968 as psychedelic music was all the rage, he recorded Realization. Not a half-baked "concept" album or anything loopy like that. Rather, it is an excellently produced song cycle done the Rivers way, and it includes what I think are two of his very best ballads. Here is "Look To Your Soul," "The Way We Live," and "Summer Rain" as presented on the Realization album.

Realization (front).jpg

Realization (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds a bit odd to say it now, but back in 1969, the first bread album was a total blind buy for me. I took notice of the eye catching cover art when I saw it on the rack at my local record shop. When I flipped it to the back side and observed it was an Elektra release, I took it straight to the counter and bought it. That's how we did it back then...LOL! I didn't know or make the connection between David Gates songwriting past and his association with hits like "Popsicles and Icicles" by The Murmaids, etc. But, what I did quickly learn is that the self-titled bread debut disk was a very accomplished affair full of catchy, hooky songs with impeccably clean production. IMO, it remains as solid of a first effort as any band could hope to release.

Bread (front).jpg

Bread (back).jpg

Okay. I guess it's time. Touch was mentioned up thread and no sixties retrospective is complete without at least a look-see. For decades, their sole vinyl slab has often been hailed as the first Progressive Rock record. Myself, I tend to think of it as more of a transitional album that lies somewhere between psychedelic and prog rock. It definitely contains both elements. The vinyl I picked up on its release in 1969 is a splashy, elaborate affair with a unique gatefold cover and pockets that held the disk and a giant full color poster. London Records affiliate label, Coliseum, spent mega bucks on it and they made a big deal about heralding the vinyl's new '20/20 Sound' process. I'm still not sure what the heck it is...or was... In any event, the Touch album is a compelling listening experience, but I have yet to find a good mastering of it on CD that doesn't require at least some tweaking to relieve the brick-walled harshness of the thing. If you can find it, the OG vinyl is the way to go to fully appreciate Touch.

Touch (front).jpg

Touch (back).jpg

Heaven Is In Your Mind, Traffic's U.S. debut album is a psychedelic tour-de-force, and I have it in my Top 3 of the genre. Much like Meet The Beatles has an arguably better track lineup than its UK counterpart, the same can be said for Heaven Is In Your Mind versus the UK version, Mr. Fantasy. The U.S. album garnered two hits, "Paper Sun" and "Mr. Fantasy," to which the album was later renamed. Otherwise, this incarnation of Traffic is rather different than what followed. As good as the band's followup albums are, in some ways, Heaven Is In Your Mind is my favorite Traffic album, especially in its original U.S. release configuration. I still frequently revisit it.

Heaven Is In Your Mind (front).jpg

Heaven Is In Your Mind (back).jpg

I respect good drummers.....but this would be like the Beatles continuing with just Ringo.
Thanks @hafquark for that sample of Wizards from Kansas I listened I liked and I bought a copy online.....as well as another one here and there are two more CDs I plan to get thanks to @Uncle Obscure
The Wizards cd is in a book I have called the Acid Archives which deals mainly with private pressings of unknown groups so I had read of them.

Edit corrected attribution for Wizards.

Last edited:
One of the best garage rock groups to come out of New England in the mid-Sixties, The Remains managed to release just one self-titled album on Epic Records in 1966. This is another one of those records that was MIA for decades until it got a proper and excellent digital remastering for a CD in 2007. Unfortunately, as is the case with what seems like all physical media in 2024, it is no longer in print in new condition.

The Remains (front).jpg

The Remains (back).jpg

Back