Multichannel Tracks that Show of a Center Channel Speaker

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most obvious example I can think of is on Billy Joel's "The Stranger" SACD. For his two huge ballads, one uses his voice as "typical" in the right and left channels and the other uses voice only dead-center (I believe "She's Only A Woman") and it's pretty striking contrast on a good system.

Check out Stephen W Tayler's mixes of the Howard Jones albums. He rarely puts vocals in the center channel, but uses it instead for bass and other instruments to great effect.

From my listening spot, I honestly cannot tell the difference between a mix that uses the center channel and one that does not. Many times have I marvelled at a center image (lead vocals or what have you) and put my ear up to the center channel only to realize nothing was coming from the center, it was the imaging of the left and right speakers working its magic. I guess that is as it should be, is it not?

From my listening spot, I honestly cannot tell the difference between a mix that uses the center channel and one that does not. Many times have I marvelled at a center image (lead vocals or what have you) and put my ear up to the center channel only to realize nothing was coming from the center, it was the imaging of the left and right speakers working its magic. I guess that is as it should be, is it not?
That does in fact confirm you have your system dialed in precisely. :)

I can still tell... Move to somewhere else in the room out of the main listening position. Now you can tell the difference between dual mono and discrete center. I digress but this is a mix thing and the two can hit different. Losing the "wider" dual mono for discrete center when going from stereo to surround - when that happens with a mix - throws some listeners off.

But in the sweet spot it should fool you every time! Make you get up and walk up to the speaker and everything.

Check out Stephen W Tayler's mixes of the Howard Jones albums. He rarely puts vocals in the center channel, but uses it instead for bass and other instruments to great effect.
Actually that is not so - I do use the centre channel for main vocals most of the time - just not exclusively - I posted the following explanation previously...

'I tend to use the centre channel to focus the front centre image by sharing it with the front L and R for things such as the main voice, bass drum and snare and bass - but never for isolation. It's mainly to try and maintain the central position even if you are listening off centre....'

SWTx

Back