Multiple turntable switch needed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawmacias

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
So I am looking for suggestions for a quality multi switch that I can use to switch between three turntables. I am using a QRX 9001 for a receiver. The turntables are a Sansui SR 838, Dual 721 and a Technics SL-1200 MKS. Thanks in advance for your imput and knowledge! Robert

i don't have any suggestions sorry but a thought occured, with extra cabling looping in and out of a selector switch gizmo might there be a consideration of capacitance if you're using any of the turntables for CD-4 demodulating purposes?
(i may be overthinking things as usual! :unsure:

i don't have any suggestions sorry but a thought occured, with extra cabling looping in and out of a selector switch gizmo might there be a consideration of capacitance if you're using any of the turntables for CD-4 demodulating purposes?
(i may be overthinking things as usual! :unsure:
You betcha ! Unfortunately for me, I am not knowledgeable at all on the subjects of capacitance , resistance , interference, etc. That is why I am asking here on QQ and mentioned "knowledge" in my thanks. I am hoping someone has set up a multiple tt system (hopefully with a CD-4 tt included) . If not , I can set up a separate CD-4 sytem if need be. Lets see what info comes up first.

There are plenty of 3x1 or 4x1 Video-Audio component switch units for sale out there, including the much recommended Zektor thingummyjigs, only used I think. I would not know the ramifications on the capacitance issue, but if you used low-cap cabling for the CD-4 TT, wouldn't that cover it?

There are plenty of 3x1 or 4x1 Video-Audio component switch units for sale out there, including the much recommended Zektor thingummyjigs, only used I think. I would not know the ramifications on the capacitance issue, but if you used low-cap cabling for the CD-4 TT, wouldn't that cover it?

not sure, a Zektor type multichannel switch of the 4 channels post-demodulaton would be fine.. but from what i've gathered ideally you want to keep the interconnects as short as possible between turntable and demodulator with CD-4 and looping in and out of a switch at that stage might introdusssssce problemsssss of a sssssandpapery sssssituation... 🐉

not sure, a Zektor type multichannel switch of the 4 channels post-demodulaton would be fine.. but from what i've gathered ideally you want to keep the interconnects as short as possible between turntable and demodulator with CD-4 and looping in and out of a switch at that stage might introdusssssce problemsssss of a sssssandpapery sssssituation... 🐉

I've got a Zektor arriving today - so I'll see (eventually):)

Well so far it looks like I will use a separate receiver (1) for CD-4 playback. Another receiver (2) to play QS/SQ ,stereo , etc . Now I just have to figure the best way to share my speaker setup , if possible.

Why not use a phono preamp in an aux input or into a Zektor type switch? When I had difficulty with CD4 in my receiver, I used a CD4 demogitator into my Zektor and ran another for matix and 2 channel through the onboard phono input. These can be reversed as needed. Phono preamps can be had rather cheaply for starter units. This would also allow the use of moving coil or strain gauge cartridges as you see fit. A Zektor unit or Russound QT1 will be something you can not live without once you get it and will be cheap at any cost in the long run. No quad era receiver has enough ins and outs to satisfy me and all my "dead" formats. Few 2 channel ones would either and my apartment is too small for more than one main audio system.:cry:

Why not use a phono preamp in an aux input or into a Zektor type switch? When I had difficulty with CD4 in my receiver, I used a CD4 demogitator into my Zektor and ran another for matix and 2 channel through the onboard phono input. These can be reversed as needed. Phono preamps can be had rather cheaply for starter units. This would also allow the use of moving coil or strain gauge cartridges as you see fit. A Zektor unit or Russound QT1 will be something you can not live without once you get it and will be cheap at any cost in the long run. No quad era receiver has enough ins and outs to satisfy me and all my "dead" formats. Few 2 channel ones would either and my apartment is too small for more than one main audio system.:cry:
My thinking has become sooo linear of late. Glade you guys are willing to take the time to help.
Well here goes;
(1) CD-4 TT > Phono imput (no issues with impedance, capacitance).
(2) Multiple TT's > Zektor switch > phono preamp > Receiver aux imput.

Side note: Great time to figure this out . My refurbished 9001 is coming in today !

Just ordered a "Pro-Ject Audio - Phono Box" phono preamp. Will be in Friday. And if I remember correctly , I do have a av selector (will that work ok ?) switch from previous tv setups. Or do I need a Zektor ?

You will want to put the preamp before the switch, not after. You want to raise the output before the switch to stop extraneous noises.

Multiple TT's > phono preamp > Zektor switch > Receiver aux input.

You will want to put the preamp before the switch, not after. You want to raise the output before the switch to stop extraneous noises.

Multiple TT's > phono preamp > Zektor switch > Receiver aux input.
If I do that , I will need a phono preamp for each TT. At $99 a pop .

Hey, my 9001 just came in !!! QRXRestore sure know how to package !

Attachments

• 20190703_110901_resized.jpg
    20190703_110901_resized.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 20190703_111131_resized.jpg
    20190703_111131_resized.jpg
    983.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20190703_111647_resized.jpg
    20190703_111647_resized.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 20190703_112046_resized.jpg
    20190703_112046_resized.jpg
    682.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 20190703_112429_resized.jpg
    20190703_112429_resized.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190703_113345_resized.jpg
    20190703_113345_resized.jpg
    947.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
If I do that , I will need a phono preamp for each TT. At $99 a pop .

Hey, my 9001 just came in !!!

I do not know specific models but there are some that have have two or three inputs. They may be more expensive than two or more single preamps though. Putting the preamp after the switching unit is false economy as you will run into noise and hum issues. Congrats on the 9001!

Back