Multiple turntable switch needed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not know specific models but there are some that have have two or three inputs. They may be more expensive than two or more single preamps though. Putting the preamp after the switching unit is false economy as you will run into noise and hum issues. Congrats on the 9001!

If I do that , I will need a phono preamp for each TT. At $99 a pop .

Hey, my 9001 just came in !!! QRXRestore sure know how to package !

I do not know specific models but there are some that have have two or three inputs. They may be more expensive than two or more single preamps though. Putting the preamp after the switching unit is false economy as you will run into noise and hum issues. Congrats on the 9001!
So by that argument; if I had two TT's running through a switch , from switch into "phono" input , wouldn't I get noise and hum ? Because the switch is before the built in phono preamp.

So by that argument; if I had two TT's running through a switch , from switch into "phono" input , wouldn't I get noise and hum ? Because the switch is before the built in phono preamp.

this is a very interesting point because (while i acknowledge each installation is different) i get much less hum/noise when i connect the grounding wire of my turntable to my Pro-Ject Phono Box S than when i connect it to my CD-4 demodulator, even though the turntable is hooked upto the CD-4 demodulator first and then looped back out to the Pro-Ject Phono Box 🤷‍♂️

You would be putting the switch output into an auxilliary or tape input. Don"t put the switch into a phono input. If you use a preamp for the other turntables, you want to raise the gain before any switch with a preamp to stop noise as it will need less amplification and less chances of amplifying outside noises and distortions.

You would be putting the switch output into an auxilliary or tape input. Don"t put the switch into a phono input. If you use a preamp for the other turntables, you want to raise the gain before any switch with a preamp to stop noise as it will need less amplification and less chances of amplifying outside noises and distortions.
Oh no, I wouldn't do that. I was just using -
I had two TT's running through a switch , from switch into "phono" input , wouldn't I get noise and hum ? Because the switch is before the built in phono preamp. - this as an example for arguments sake.

i don't have any suggestions sorry but a thought occured, with extra cabling looping in and out of a selector switch gizmo might there be a consideration of capacitance if you're using any of the turntables for CD-4 demodulating purposes?
(i may be overthinking things as usual! :unsure:
You are not overthinking it at all. There is no good switch that I know of, especially for a CD-4 usage.

sonik-wiz actually turned me on to this and probably knows details about it, I needed a switch for TT, Denon DVD-3910, SMv2 and TEAC A-2340.
If you are switching between a table and line level sources, then I strongly suspect you are using a phono pre before the switch, which would invalidate your setup as a test for the OP.

You will want to put the preamp before the switch, not after. You want to raise the output before the switch to stop extraneous noises.

Multiple TT's > phono preamp > Zektor switch > Receiver aux input.
Multiple TT's > multiple phono preamps > Zektor switch > Receiver aux input.

If I do that , I will need a phono preamp for each TT. At $99 a pop .

Here, this will save you a hundred bucks on three, and it is a fabulous sounding little pre, with outboard power, switchable capacitance, a rumble filter and a trim pot with clipping light. It's a great piece of gear.

https://www.amazon.com/ART-DJPREII-Audio-Turntable-Preamplifier-x/dp/B000AJR482

And I forgot to mention that it is an aluminum case. At this price range they are usually plastic.

Last edited:
If you are switching between a table and line level sources, then I strongly suspect you are using a phono pre before the switch, which would invalidate your setup as a test for the OP.
Sorry markshan, not sure what you're trying to say here, are you saying a TT to a phono pre and on through the Zektor will not operate correctly for input into a Surround Master? Or just certain types of LPs like CD-4, QS/SQ or even out to an AVR for normal stereo LPs?

Sorry markshan, not sure what you're trying to say here, are you saying a TT to a phono pre and on through the Zektor will not operate correctly for input into a Surround Master? Or just certain types of LPs like CD-4, QS/SQ or even out to an AVR for normal stereo LPs?
No, what I am saying is that to share a switcher with line level device like a CD player would require a pre amp for the table to bring it up to line level. If you are doing that, then your experience with the switcher wouldn't validate if the OP can use the same switcher at phono level. But he seems content to get three phono pres, so it's a moot point anyway.

No. You would need a phono pre for each table before the switch for it to work.
I am going to use Circular Vibes suggestion about using a preamp with multiple inputs and do away with the switch altogether.

TT >
.............. >Multiple input preamp >Aux input (Receiver)
TT>

The CD-4 TT will go directly into the phono input (Receiver)

How is that? Now all I have to do is find that multiple input phono preamp.

Last edited:
I am going to use Circular Vibes suggestion about using a preamp with multiple inputs and do away with the switch altogether.

TT >
.............. >Multiple input preamp >Aux input (Receiver)
TT>

The CD-4 TT will go directly into the phono input (Receiver)

How is that? Now all I have to do is find that multiple input phono preamp.
Let me know what you find. My strong suspicion is that any like that will be far more expensive than three of the ARTs, but I haven't specifically looked.

Hi. All

I have one set of 4 speakers for A Quad set up 2 front 2 back I have 3 Quad Receiver I want to connect to my 4 speakers so I use 2 sets of stereo speaker switch box`s one for the front & one for the back speakers. Sorry a little of topic.

The same you can do with line level out put to through 2 switch box`s for 4 out put from a stand alone SQ & QS & CD-4 units..

Last edited:
So I am looking for suggestions for a quality multi switch that I can use to switch between three turntables. I am using a QRX 9001 for a receiver. The turntables are a Sansui SR 838, Dual 721 and a Technics SL-1200 MKS. Thanks in advance for your imput and knowledge! Robert

I have a friend who wants to do this, he wants me to make him up a switch box. I don't really see why you guys require three turntables. Two maybe, with one optimised for CD-4. I would connect that directly to an outboard demodulator. A
switch box could add noise to the system and would require an extra set of cables with added capacitance, OK for stereo but detrimental to CD-4.

I have a friend who wants to do this, he wants me to make him up a switch box. I don't really see why you guys require three turntables. Two maybe, with one optimised for CD-4. I would connect that directly to an outboard demodulator. A
switch box could add noise to the system and would require an extra set of cables with added capacitance, OK for stereo but detrimental to CD-4.
Yeah , my hobby is collecting vintage stereo equip that catches my interest. So I have multiple TT's . So I like playing my TT's and don't want to keep unplugging them . So I really don't "require" them , but I just enjoy them.
My CD-4 TT is going to be set up directly to he phono input on my receiver as suggested from this thread.
Collecting ain't no fun if I don't play with the stuff !

Back