Multiple turntable switch needed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All

I have one set of 4 speakers for A Quad set up 2 front 2 back I have 3 Quad Receiver I want to connect to my 4 speakers so I use 2 sets of stereo speaker switch box`s one for the front & one for the back speakers. Sorry a little of topic.

View attachment 41477View attachment 41478

The same you can do with line level out put to through 2 switch box`s for 4 out put from a stand alone SQ & QS & CD-4 units..

View attachment 41479
Good stuff ! I am planning on setting up a room for my equip in the near future and also will have to share speakers with other receivers in my collection. Kinda like the setups the stores had so one could check out equip

One for digitizing, one for day to day playback and one for 78s.
I keep a second headshell with a Shure 91ED outfitted with a 3mil stylus for 78. The best part? My table doesn't have a 78 speed. When I want to archive a 78, I record it at 45 then correct it in the software.

I too have had up to 3 tables hooked up at a time. One is a 4 speed changer for 78's, singles and talking books mainly. One is for CD4 with a strain gauge cartridge. One is for most 2 speed mono, stereo and matrix quad use. It can be fun trying out different features as well. Sometimes a gearhead can't pass up a good deal on another toy.;) I also have three different tape decks hooked up and a universal digital player. I recently acquired a Laser Disc player and might dip into that rabbit hole a bit too. No receiver has enough inputs for me.

I keep a second headshell with a Shure 91ED outfitted with a 3mil stylus for 78. The best part? My table doesn't have a 78 speed. When I want to archive a 78, I record it at 45 then correct it in the software.

I may go that route some day, though my primary turntable is a Sony PS-X75 and doesn't have the ability to track heavier than 3 grams. My current 78 cartridge is a Stanton 500, which wants more (though I can't remember how much). Or maybe 3 grams is the Stanton's bare minimum. Either way, laziness makes me less than enthused about changing headshells and all the re-alignment that would be involved.

As for recording 78s at 45, I'm really embarrassed that I only recently figured that one out. Not for actual vintage 78s, but for modern ones that play at 78 but require a microgroove (or even stereo) stylus. But then, I also only found out about the free Equalizer from the same guy who brought us ClickRepair.

I've also used the slow speed trick for warped records of various types. I've used my 78 turntable to capture a 78 that wouldn't only play without jumping all over at 33 and I've used the other one to capture a couple 45s that could only be played at 33.

I wish Equalizer had a setting for material captured at 33.333 that needs to be played at 16.666. Or maybe I just wish I understood the math well enough to create my own appropriate settings.

I too have had up to 3 tables hooked up at a time. One is a 4 speed changer for 78's, singles and talking books mainly. One is for CD4 with a strain gauge cartridge. One is for most 2 speed mono, stereo and matrix quad use. It can be fun trying out different features as well. Sometimes a gearhead can't pass up a good deal on another toy.;) I also have three different tape decks hooked up and a universal digital player. I recently acquired a Laser Disc player and might dip into that rabbit hole a bit too. No receiver has enough inputs for me.
My kinda thinkin !

Atrocity, if you use two same cartridges in separate headshells, you can use cartridge weights in the 78 headshell and stop playing with the counterbalance. I have two headshells for my changer so I can leave the styli alone. Both stylii for my Stanton 500 track 2 - 5 grams. I set mine both to play at 3 grams. I use an aftermarket 78 tip that stays in the groove reliably on all but a couple discs at 3 gr. Also, I don't know your equaliser program, but Diamond Cut had the ability to play any speed and change to any speed. You could also remove the RIAA EQ from the transfer at playback speed and restore it after speed change in the dirgital realm. That is how I used to record 16 rpm talking books.

Either way, laziness makes me less than enthused about changing headshells and all the re-alignment that would be involved.

Once you align that cart on that headshell it is aligned for use on that table. Swapping headshells won't change that. The only think you have to do when you swap is re-float the tonearm and reset the tracking weight.

I may go that route some day, though my primary turntable is a Sony PS-X75 and doesn't have the ability to track heavier than 3 grams. My current 78 cartridge is a Stanton 500, which wants more (though I can't remember how much).

Set it to three grams then tape a dime on the headshell. Voila! 5.5 grams.

I wish Equalizer had a setting for material captured at 33.333 that needs to be played at 16.666. Or maybe I just wish I understood the math well enough to create my own appropriate settings.
Well, the math on that one is pretty easy. It's a half. If you capture a 16 rpm record at 33 rpm and sample at 44.1 kHz, just play back at 88.2.

Atrocity, if you use two same cartridges in separate headshells, you can use cartridge weights in the 78 headshell and stop playing with the counterbalance. I have two headshells for my changer so I can leave the styli alone. Both stylii for my Stanton 500 track 2 - 5 grams. I set mine both to play at 3 grams. I use an aftermarket 78 tip that stays in the groove reliably on all but a couple discs at 3 gr. Also, I don't know your equaliser program, but Diamond Cut had the ability to play any speed and change to any speed. You could also remove the RIAA EQ from the transfer at playback speed and restore it after speed change in the dirgital realm. That is how I used to record 16 rpm talking books.
Yes, if both cartridges (and headshells) are the same this is great. For two different setups you have to rebalance each time.

Found this on Ebay this morning:

Nobsound12AX7+6Z5P Vacuum Tube Preamp HiFi Stereo Pre-Amplifier Marantz circuit.

It may not be phono preamp. I sent a message to the seller

Last edited:
Well, the math on that one is pretty easy. It's a half. If you capture a 16 rpm record at 33 rpm and sample at 44.1 kHz, just play back at 88.2.

Yes, the speed part is easy...it's the EQ that I'd have to think about. It may well be just as easy once I really look into it.

Yes, if both cartridges (and headshells) are the same this is great. For two different setups you have to rebalance each time.

And that's my issue...the main cartridge is an AT440MLa, which is quite a bit different from the Stanton.

The point about me misusing "alignment" when I really meant "balancing" is a good one, though.

The line of Sony TTs that includes my PS-X75 has a quirk that makes using weights impractical: There's a single knob that simultaneously adjusts VTF and anti-skate. I've taken to setting the knob to my preferred VTF, then using a digital scale to adjust the counterweight until the scale matches the knob. I like to think that's more accurate, but I could be fooling myself. Wouldn't be the first time!

And that's my issue...the main cartridge is an AT440MLa, which is quite a bit different from the Stanton.

The point about me misusing "alignment" when I really meant "balancing" is a good one, though.

The line of Sony TTs that includes my PS-X75 has a quirk that makes using weights impractical: There's a single knob that simultaneously adjusts VTF and anti-skate. I've taken to setting the knob to my preferred VTF, then using a digital scale to adjust the counterweight until the scale matches the knob. I like to think that's more accurate, but I could be fooling myself. Wouldn't be the first time!
I'm a 440 user also.

I'm in the market for a new TT and was considering this cartridge:
AT - VM540ML
Will probably only use it for regular LPs and QS/SQ. It has the Microline stylus, freq. response up to 27K.
Any thoughts on this one?
Seems very similar to the 440. I actually recently picked up a second hand 740 which I haven't mounted yet. The seller moved up to an AT33EV, so he threw in a shibata that fits them as well (440, 540, 740 and others have interchangeable styli). I threw the shibata on my 440 with the worn stylus and am so happy I feel no immediate need to mount the 740. I'll just hold on to it for a rainy day.

Back