Music has dumbed down - since 1950

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one form of music that has IMO improved with time and that's Jazz.
Jazz, IMO, has always been timeless and current jazz musicians had an amazing legacy to improvise from!

But there does seem to be a dearth of great jazz vocalists in the tradition of Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Bessie Smith, Nina Simone, Billy Holiday, Etta James, Nancy Wilson et alia!

My very favorite up and coming female jazz interpreter is Samara Joy who harks back to that golden age sound.

Her debut album for VERVE 'Linger Awhile' is stunning!

I'm reading this while listening to "Home Invasion" by Steven Wilson. But then I'm a prog guy.
My opinion is that people are getting dumber. I'm ok with the music I like.
Getting DUMBER? Because of a basic lack of common sense and the fact they didn't pay attention in school, they blame everyone else for their lack of success!

DUH!!!!!!!

2966a388-65c2-49ad-b4cb-c07f555d3f49_text.gif

That is interesting, indeed. Any reference? I'm just curious about how it happened.

(We know that video killed the radio star. Sorry...just could not help myself.)
The bands could not afford to pay all of their musicians at union scale with the venue takes they usually got.

My father played trombone in a local big band, "The Stardusters" in the 1940s. It disbanded when the musician's union demanded higher pay.

The bands could not afford to pay all of their musicians at union scale with the venue takes they usually got.

My father played trombone in a local big band, "The Stardusters" in the 1940s. It disbanded when the musician's union demanded higher pay.
That is a shame because the big bands and their music were really fantastic. :(

Back