Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolby's recommendation for music is Music Light (just a touch of DRC)
I've never done anything with movies so best to do Google it or (Chat GPT), but but gut says 'Film Standard'
I would recommend 16 for TrueHD Channel Presentation for decodes

BTW: If you are doing encodes, I would also encode to 5.1.4 minimum. Even though you only have 2 on the ceiling now you may expand some day and an AVR with Atmos decoder will route .4 to your .2 nicely.
Thank you very much for the suggestions!
What I got from ChatGPT is that the recommended DRC profile is (obviously) environment specific.
Meaning that for environments like a home (theater) room with low ambient noise Film Light can be used, while in more noisier living rooms, Film Standard can be a good choice. Film Standard is also more closer to the DRC profiles used in the Cinemas (bigger room size and higher ambient noise)
In most cases, Dolby Atmos tracks on 4K Blu-ray discs are/should be mastered without significant dynamic range compression. Ultimately it depends on our personal preferences and the specific characteristics of the listening environment.
I have also found an older article with some DRC profiles related infos.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/surround-sound-explained-part-5

Hi Garry !
I just updated MMH to V 7.1.14.
I get an error when loading .MKV file into the Chapter Editor.
Here's a screenshot and a .TXT file with the file info from Mediainfo. I don't know if that helps but there it is.

Thx alot as always =)
\\ Robert

Skärmbild 2024-02-23 154208.png

Attachments

• Ny(tt) Textdokument.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 0
Oh dear. I've been leaving it as "Music Standard." Has anyone experimented here - how dire is the outlook? :-/

Try both and compare, but Dolby has always recommended 'Music Light' for music. Its in the MMH docs too.

MMH 7.1.15 Released:

Version 7.1.15 (February 24 2024)
-------------
Fixes:
Chapter Editor tool: Failed loading chapters from MKV files when using EU Locale (comma as decimal point)* - fixed
Channel Volume tool: Target Gain values not saved between sessions when using EU Locale (comma as decimal point)* - fixed
* regression caused by change in 7.1.14

Direct link to installer:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh7/MMHInstaller.msi

Try both and compare, but Dolby has always recommended 'Music Light' for music. Its in the MMH docs too.

Unfortunately my beloved AV Receiver is in for repairs :-(

A possibly stupid question but... does the DRC setting ("Music Standard"/"Music Light") tangibly change the encoding OR is it like DialNorm in that it is metadata that effects playback later?

I'm not impressed with Dolby calling something "Music Standard" and then recommending one called "Music Light" *facepalm* :-/

Where would we all be without this forum...! :)

I had a large wav file that were 11 songs concatenated and saved as a single file, about 2.18 GB.
I opened MMH and proceeded to add C & Lfe silent channels. The app finished in an instant. The original file was deleted (not in recycle bin) and I had to start over in Audition.
Next time I made two copies, however MMH added the silent channels no problem.

Got a little bit of an issue here wondering if you had any ideas Garry. I've been doing another massive rip session and had issues with MMH crashing (I think it's just my computer). Closed and reopened the app quite a few times and all was ok but now I'm getting this message:

Screenshot 2024-02-27 170427.jpg

I uninstalled and reinstalled both MMH and .NET runtime but to no success.

Ever seen this before Garry?

Got a little bit of an issue here wondering if you had any ideas Garry. I've been doing another massive rip session and had issues with MMH crashing (I think it's just my computer). Closed and reopened the app quite a few times and all was ok but now I'm getting this message:

View attachment 102386
I uninstalled and reinstalled both MMH and .NET runtime but to no success.

Ever seen this before Garry?
The former software tester in me says.... when do you get this screen exactly? Ie you open mmh and click what exactly? Or does it just do that on the main screen? Do you even see the main menu screen? Ie. Steps to replicate? :)

The former software tester in me says.... when do you get this screen exactly? Ie you open mmh and click what exactly? Or does it just do that on the main screen? Do you even see the main menu screen? Ie. Steps to replicate? :)
It does this whenever I open MMH now. I actually see the application open in my taskbar but the menu does not actually appear on my screen.

I have no idea what I did but whatever it was I screwed it up royally!

Would it be much work to add support for m2ts files in MMH Decoder? To avoid an extra step of extracting audio with a different tool :)

Reactions: GOS
The original file was deleted (not in recycle bin) and I had to start over in Audition.

Sounds like there was an error and you were using the ‘Overwrite’ option. Maybe use the sub-folder option which leaves your original source files untouched. Then it won’t get deleted if it can’t complete (and I could try to debug the original problem).

Back