MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing them live the other day, I was in the mood to grab a live Bluray. (The Styx concert with the the CYO is really good!)

71XUthhMLwL._SL1200_.jpg

Mix, mon bon ami?
right.. first impressions for my Pupster 🤗

bearing in mind i'm running this setup (Denon AVR-X2800H, CA651BD) 'Flat' with no EQ (not "Audyssey Flat", just as is with no EQ, no tone controls, or anything at all) this is, sorry, i can't sugarcoat it, one effing bright sounding presentation!! 😳

however, it's chock full of detail, at times it's remarkable what's been brought out in the mix..!! so many lovely things popping out 😍

unfortunately on certain tracks, like the title track, it's just all too fatiguingly attackingly bright for my sensitive little lugholes and so i had to reach for the tone controls to temper the top end 😖👂

now, my BDP/AVR combination can only do 7.1 Atmos so i'm not getting the full 7.1.4 experience i would get if this was streaming on Apple Music (wonder why it hasn't appeared there yet? the Anniversary set is all there but Lossless Stereo only for some reason and while the degree of Surround separation and action is variable from song to song, there's sufficient Atmos activity that maybe only 2-3 times did i find the presentation maybe a bit Front-centric and Flat (flatter than the mastering.. sheesh! 😅 )

the bonus tracks in Atmos seem way less interesting Surround-wise than the album itself and really for the most part may as well be Stereo 🤷🏻‍♀️

more to come (hopefully once it's streaming on Apple Music so i can judge it in 'Full Atmos' on my other setup) 🤞🙏

once you get past the initial 10 second 'animated' intro (with background music) you can either hit "play album", head to the track listing, or go to the audio setup menu.

the album's cover art is essentially used onscreen throughout as a screensaver which moves about slightly around the screen and fades up and down a bit in brightness as the music plays.

there's no onscreen text, song titles or indeed any onscreen info while songs are playing (last pic shows disc player's onscreen info).

the disc defaulted to Atmos on my setup.

Back