Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A flood! It would be great, following @JCDC's lead, to create a running, publicly available, comprehensive list of quad and 5.1 titles available on Apple Music and Tidal.
And a separate library, one for 5.1, the other for Atmos releases!!
Can't keep up with all this fabulous music.
This sure is fun.

Last edited:
I have a Q8 conversion of ZZ Top's Tres Hombres. Great surround tracks from a 3 piece blues band.

They had some overdubbed guitar parts to work with in the surround mix as well, as is evident by the deconstructed front/rear guitar lick throughout "La Grange". Same goes for Rush's A Farewell To Kings - the band is technically just a three piece, but there are all kinds of extra percussion parts and sound effects on the multitrack that help make the 5.1 mix more interesting. I don't think there's all that much extra studio production to exploit on those Stevie Ray Vaughn albums.

True, that’s a good one!

ah me jim'lad! i do beseech thee to try ye olde Quad of Lewis Ramsey's my upended pyjamas, if you have-nee all-readee! i wager a trio's never been so Surround-y in all of Christendom so
it hasn'ee! oooh-ahhrr-haaarrr, me
hearties!! (etc.)

no idea why i did all that as a drunk pirate. oh well, legless Quad beats lossless Stereo anyday!! ooh-arr-ooh-arr-ayyy! 😜

A flood! It would be great, following @JCDC's lead, to create a running, publicly available, comprehensive list of quad and 5.1 titles available on Apple Music and Tidal.

Even if the Quad release lists on this site could be updated at this mixes emerge, it would be helpful.

As we all know, it's very difficult to keep track of these releases unless you are actually sat watching the records you want to hear - as I am doing with my playlist.

It's really frustrating that there isn't a way to properly filter them by searching on Apple Music. I don't even think it's possible through their API. I have limited understanding as I'm not a techie but I don't think there is any kind of flag for searches at all.

I don't think there's all that much extra studio production to exploit on those Stevie Ray Vaughn albums.
that's how I was thinking about it also!

ah me jim'lad! i do beseech thee to try ye olde Quad of Lewis Ramsey's my upended pyjamas, if you have-nee all-readee! i wager a trio's never been so Surround-y in all of Christendom so
it hasn'ee! oooh-ahhrr-haaarrr, me
hearties!! (etc.)

no idea why i did all that as a drunk pirate. oh well, legless Quad beats lossless Stereo anyday!! ooh-arr-ooh-arr-ayyy! 😜
yup, got that Ramsey Quad around here somewhere, too long in storage to remember how the mix is :unsure:
And who the heck do ya think you're dealing with here anyway Freddie Baby, some quaisi wanna be, Steel Bear Trap mind like @sjcorne's :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I have a Q8 conversion of ZZ Top's Tres Hombres. Great surround tracks from a 3 piece blues band. Very active rears. I keep hoping for Apple or Dutton to release a cleaner version of it.
I had a version of this for some time (maybe from vinyl?) which I just knew couldn’t possibly be balanced correctly. I made my own version - and then when I got a copy of the Q8 version, I found the balance was almost exactly the way I had re-balanced it. Woo hoo.

I don’t normally like overly aggressive surround mixes of rock combos with guitars coming from behind me, but it works for this one IMO.

Found a couple more Dolby Audio titles this afternoon:

Elvis Presley - That's The Way It Is
The Byrds - Byrdmaniax
Cool. Thanks.

Edit: There is more than one version of Byrdmaniax on Apple Music. The 2022 version is the one with the 11 songs in Atmos (+ 4 stereo bonus tracks thus no Dolby Audio designation). The 1971 version has 15 stereo tracks.

Same, but sorta opposite with Elvis. The newer Deluxe Edition is all stereo only. The older 1970 version is quad Dolby Audio, but has 2 stereo bonus tracks - thus again no Dolby Audio designation.

Last edited:
Thanks so much to everyone, esp. @fredblue, for surfacing these old quad and 5.1 titles that are showing up on Apple as Dolby Audio! Any tips on how you manage to hunt them down? I don't usually see them listed in Apple's Spatial Audio section, or its corresponding genre playlists...

you're very welcome, its a pleasure! 🤗 there is no easy way to find them right now unfortunately, you have to search through all the tracks of all the artists you knew had old Quads and hope you find the Quad gold!!

Found a couple more Dolby Audio titles this afternoon:

Elvis Presley - That's The Way It Is
The Byrds - Byrdmaniax

wow!! 🤩 stunning find!!

this marks the first time the Quad of Byrdmaniax has been officially available outside of Japan and the first time its been legitimately released anywhere in discrete Quad since the Japanese Quad LP release was SQ-encoded! Apple's really delivering the goods now, amazing!! 👍 👍

Back