New Pineapple Thief box set!!! 8 disc bluray 5.1and Atmos!! How did we find our way!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with this ripping thing. I just put the disc in the player and start listening. When I'm finished listening for the day I stop and turn off the player, and the next time I will play from it, I turn on the player and it starts from were I left off last time. I see no big problem with the cursor not moving. My player shows the number of the track that's playing and on the screen the songs are numbered, so easy to see what's on. :cool:
No doubt, a blessing and a curse, definitely only for OCD Type A folks like me.

Everyone has their own method to rip the discs, I think, depending on the player features.

I decided years ago, when designing the Storage method for multimedia, to get a Player that could "play" via network exactly the DVD/Blurays with all the menus. Then I got several PopcornHours, then DUNE, and then Oppo with jailbreak. I keep now DUNE and Oppo depending on what media to play.

For this, I always do a full ISO rip of the DVD/Bluray. This Pineapple Thief big Blu-Ray with the 7 albums ripping lasted me about 40 minutes.

I store all ripped DVD/Blurays in ISO full disc, and when I need a particular track or individual file or song for whatever reason, I then extract/convert (with the corresponding tool) from the disc files stored in the server/NAS.

I do not have that experience with individual songs/tracks that other may have playing from PC/foobar2000, for example, But my goal was always to have the same experience as playing directly the optical disc with its menus, directly online, without having to load the physical disc on the player. This, because I am usually a listener of full albums. (I hate playlists...)

Jeez, I thought my Bluray writer was getting worn out as my TPT BD also gets errors such as error while ejecting disc when all I have done is actually try to boot the thing. I have been using DVDFab Passkey for the past several years then I'll use DVDAE to extract what audio content I desire. Currently, I too am ending up with my BD trying to load while taking forever to fully load or actually not at all. Although, when I do open DVDAE, sometimes the content will definitely show but alas, as of this current moment my DVDFab isn't unlocking the region lock restriction in order to actually rip my audio. Instead, I'm getting that BD+ business where I can't even push play to choose what I need.

All in all, what I've heard of the Atmos mixes sound marvellous! One thing I do need to check however, is to see whether the stereo remixes are actual new mixes over the recent remixes or not...

No way man, I cannot get all that far with all this ripping, I'll read later.
That said, thank you, I understand.
I am getting two feelings here:
1. All this on one BD-V is quite exceptional, finally someone proved it can be done with audio.
2. With the problems, on my end, not talking about others, this is a good example to have put all this info on two Blu Rays.

This one Blu Ray sucks, to be blunt.
Hi, is it working for you now? Otherwise please try to do it in two steps. First put the disc in and perform "backup" in MakeMKV (don't load disc) and after that rip the audio data from the backup "File - Open Files".
You should also try to turn off / turn on your PC before your next try. Sounds funny, but that sometimes also worked in similar situations for me.
Good luck!

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. My gut keeps telling me, it might be my external drive, so I decided to order new as I have had some recent very minor issues lately.
Ordered: PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-XD08B USB 3.2 Gen1 (USB Type-C) / 2.0 Slim Portable BD/DVD/CD Writer
It will arrive tomorrow, and I will know instantly if it is the drive, I can always return.
I thought about one of those disc cleaners, pop the disc in the unit and it cleans the unit, but I did not purchase.
I did order a bottle of cleaning solution for all future discs.

I have now done a full listen in Atmos of Abducted At Birth previously known as Abducting The Unicorn.
I have also read the book starting on Page 1 through Page 13.
Great info of the beginning for Bruce.
The surround and music is exceptionaly good, really enjoying it.
R-12005708-1537474712-7437.jpg

Slowly working my way through the Blu-ray as none of these are short albums. Mightily impressed with the music, the sonics, and Bruce Soord’s immense talent. Blows my mind to realize he wrote, recorded, mixed, and literally played every instrument heard across these 7 early TPT albums!

The 5.1 mixes are excellent and the fidelity is superlative. I listened to one of the stereo CDs on a friend’s very high end stereo-only rig and it sounded magnificent. The book is one of the most detailed and informative books included with a boxset in recent memory with great insight to each album and young Bruce.

I realize TPT’s melancholic Brit bent isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but miss out on this musical treasure trove at your own risk. Boxset of the year candidate for sure!

Boxset of the year candidate for sure!
I can't think of many boxes I've enjoyed as much as this one - usually the liner notes and non-surround content are a one-and-done read/listen for me (sometimes not even), but every aspect of this set is worth exploring thoroughly. I can't wait for part 2, and I'd even spring for a part 3 if he were to revisit the last three albums in Atmos.

Jeez, I thought my Bluray writer was getting worn out as my TPT BD also gets errors such as error while ejecting disc when all I have done is actually try to boot the thing. I have been using DVDFab Passkey for the past several years then I'll use DVDAE to extract what audio content I desire. Currently, I too am ending up with my BD trying to load while taking forever to fully load or actually not at all. Although, when I do open DVDAE, sometimes the content will definitely show but alas, as of this current moment my DVDFab isn't unlocking the region lock restriction in order to actually rip my audio. Instead, I'm getting that BD+ business where I can't even push play to choose what I need.

All in all, what I've heard of the Atmos mixes sound marvellous! One thing I do need to check however, is to see whether the stereo remixes are actual new mixes over the recent remixes or not...
The cds sound great, in case someone only has a stereo rig and is in doubt of buying the set, don’t hesitate. It has better mastering and sound like remixes to me.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. My gut keeps telling me, it might be my external drive, so I decided to order new as I have had some recent very minor issues lately.
Ordered: PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-XD08B USB 3.2 Gen1 (USB Type-C) / 2.0 Slim Portable BD/DVD/CD Writer
It will arrive tomorrow, and I will know instantly if it is the drive, I can always return.
I thought about one of those disc cleaners, pop the disc in the unit and it cleans the unit, but I did not purchase.
I did order a bottle of cleaning solution for all future discs.
Do let me know. Maybe my BD Writer is reaching the end of its shelf life as I have owned my Samsung writer for around 10 years I reckon.

Do let me know. Maybe my BD Writer is reaching the end of its shelf life as I have owned my Samsung writer for around 10 years I reckon.

I cross my fingers. My only ripper is a BD writer ASUS BW-12B1ST, also ten years old.

A few months ago I had similar problems with read errors. I opened the PC case and checked the sata cables. The connection to the sata port on the board was loose, not hooking the tab. I reattached all the sata cables and it still works fine.

Side anedote: I have an LG WH16NS40 and I couldn't rip Nothing But The Truth with either MakeMKV or DVDFab. I checked for a new firmware and flashed my drive (1.00 -> 1.05). I then discovered that the new firmware didn't permit ripping and didn't permit flashing to an older version. While scouring the web about my issue, I found out that there was a procedure to flash to an older version that permitted ripping. It was a very complex procedure, but I managed to get back to version 1.03. I found everything on the MakeMKV forums.

So, check if you can flash your drive but also check if flashing is safe for ripping.

I've managed to listen to a couple of tracks and I've get the all the boxset ripped without any hiccups...

Sounds pretty good, mix is really good. I'm not that well versed in The Pineapple Thief but like some of the stuff. I'll get round to some of the longer / heavier music at some point when the mood takes...

Just wondered if there's any associated artwork for the 8 Days / 8 Days Later albums?

I couldn't find anything so decided to mock up another cover, but I'd rather have the real thing if they exist? I want to try and differentiate from the associated albums...

This is what I've used so far...

8 Days
folder.jpg

8 Days Later (I used a a sightly darker and different CD cover for 10 Stories Down)
folder.jpg

First of all, sorry mods for kind of making this a problem on ripping talk, but I think we are on topic of this new release.
Anyway, thanks @perzon57 plus others. I dusted off my Blu Ray remote, hit the status button and now see the track/time, etc. They call the track C, I guess that stands for chapter. I manually moved the cursor in this picture on the disc.
I have to look further, maybe I can change the unit screen to show this instead of just the running time like it does now?
IMG_4348.jpg

I've managed to listen to a couple of tracks and I've get the all the boxset ripped without any hiccups...

Sounds pretty good, mix is really good. I'm not that well versed in The Pineapple Thief but like some of the stuff. I'll get round to some of the longer / heavier music at some point when the mood takes...

Just wondered if there's any associated artwork for the 8 Days / 8 Days Later albums?

I couldn't find anything so decided to mock up another cover, but I'd rather have the real thing if they exist? I want to try and differentiate from the associated albums...

This is what I've used so far...

8 Days
View attachment 93782

8 Days Later (I used a a sightly darker and different CD cover for 10 Stories Down)
View attachment 93785
Both are the second disc of their respective albums, so I just use the artwork of the main album. I managed to find them both before the boxset was announced and they weren't easy to find (at reasonable prices).

Back