OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you determined whether it's just reading the FL/FR from the 5.1 FLAC or can you create a 5.1 FLAC with 10 seconds material in each channel one at a time and hear it circle around the car properly?
It's interesting, Charlie at DM Motors/Sound tested the B&O in two different Audi's using 5.1 FLAC files. They both passed the 5-channel test but had a weird problem with the LFE subwoofer channel. You can see the review here.

Well, I tested the B&O in an Acura ZDX today. It sounds really good, on par with the ELS. However, I could not get it to play discrete 5.1, no matter how I changed the settings. The rear channels would keep playing through the back and front speakers. An MDX with the ELS played it perfectly btw. Unless I was doing something wrong, it looks like we're losing that feature. I look forward to seeing more test of the B&O system in Acuras.

2017 Audi A4 with Bang & Olufsen MMI system - plays FLAC files off of SD/USB. Supports 2.0, 5.0, 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1. :D

The Atmos mixes (ripped from BluRay) of PG's i/o, SW's THC, and PJ's DM all sound great in 7.1 from the driver's seat. The heights are treated as sides.

4.0 does not work correctly - seems like it treats the file as a 3.1. :confused: Easily worked around in Audacity by putting in a silent front center channel to make the file a 5.0.

2017 Audi A4 with Bang & Olufsen MMI system - plays FLAC files off of SD/USB. Supports 2.0, 5.0, 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1. :D

The Atmos mixes (ripped from BluRay) of PG's i/o, SW's THC, and PJ's DM all sound great in 7.1 from the driver's seat. The heights are treated as sides.

4.0 does not work correctly - seems like it treats the file as a 3.1. :confused: Easily worked around in Audacity by putting in a silent front center channel to make the file a 5.0.
Great.
I am not sure what all your abbreviations mean, PJ's and DM (Downmix).
Anyway I find interesting.
Your Audi plays 7.1?
I built a 5.1 in my car (2021 Dodge Challenger), sounds fantastic, but I have to reformat a lot of titles. I have yet to try an Atmos recording to see how it sounds in my 5.1.
My multichannel 4.0 and 5.1 SACD's I reformat to 24bit/44.1Khz, seems to be best.
The stereo SACD's I do not need to reformat as long as they are no larger than DSD64.
I use a Cambridge CXU Universal Player as the source with a AC/DC convertor for power.
My player on my PC is JRiver and there is a function called Convert Format, super simple and fast, and you do not lose the original file.

Great.
Your Audi plays 7.1?
I built a 5.1 in my car (2021 Dodge Challenger), sounds fantastic, but I have to reformat a lot of titles. I have yet to try an Atmos recording to see how it sounds in my 5.1.
My multichannel 4.0 and 5.1 SACD's I reformat to 24bit/44.1Khz, seems to be best.
The stereo SACD's I do not need to reformat as long as they are no larger than DSD64.
I use a Cambridge CXU Universal Player as the source with a AC/DC convertor for power.
My player on my PC is JRiver and there is a function called Convert Format, super simple and fast, and you do not lose the original file.

Pearl Jam's Dark Matter (Atmos Blu-ray)

Great.
Your Audi plays 7.1?

Sorry for that- Peter Gabriel's i/o, Steven Wilson's The Harmony Codex, and Pearl Jam's Dark Matter.

I was very surprised that it correctly supports the 7.1 FLACs.

Mercedes-Benz doesn't seem to be getting much love in this thread, so allow me to expand on the Mercedes COMMAND 5.0 system, used in most Mercedes-Benz vehicles from around 2014 to around 2020. In my particular case, it is paired with the Harman/Kardon Logic 7 Surround Sound system in my 2019 SLC roadster.

While the system supports audio playback from the SD card slot in a variety of formats (WMA, AC3, MP4, but notably not FLAC), none of these formats support playback of 5.1 encoded media. You either get silence, or the audio gets folded down to stereo.

5.1 surround sound appears to be only supported by the DVD drive. The good news is that both DVD-V (using PCM, DTS, and AC3 encoding) and DVD-A are supported.

One final tip is that you will want to know is to turn off the Logic 7 expander. While it does a resonable job of expanding stereo audio to surround sound, it is not smart enough to know when you are listening to true 5.1 content, and will therefore try to apply its "fake" surround sound algorithm unnecessarily to 5.1 audio.

Back