HiRez Poll Oldfield, Mike - TUBULAR BELLS 2003 [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Mike Oldfield - TUBULAR BELLS 2003

• Total voters
If memory serves, this is a complete re-recording. The orig recording's multitracks were used by Oldfield as references when recording the new parts - all of what you hear in the 2003 release is re-recorded. I believe the DVD-A booklet details all the "new" instruments he used and how it was recorded.

I was very wary of this re-recording when it was announced, but it won me over once I heard it.

I actually really like the mix, although I see how some may find it over the top. It's one of the few experiences I've had where, with just a glass of wine and closing my eyes, I completely lost my bearings and had moments of vertigo. And it was not a big glass of wine ;)

I have the quad mix of the orig recording on SACD, so I've got the best of both worlds. Totally different experiences.

Felix,
That is a perfect summary of how I feel about this disc. It is indeed a bit over the top, but that is exactly why I like it so much. You don't have to take it "seriously" to enjoy it. The sonics to me are absolutely brilliant, and I love the panning and crazy stuff - for this type of music. The level changes that Neil mentions don't bother me, maybe because I am not as familiar with the original. If I feel like listening to the original, I have the SACD, but for goose bumps I pull this one out.

I'd ask the seller some questions about this set. Just never seen it before. It probabbly is ok as more than one seller has it up for sale

I remember announcing that collection with DVDA but I didn't buy it because I was interested in the DVDA only.

From tubular.net archives:
HighFidelityReview.com reports that the Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A will be released on Nov 03 in UK and will include excerpts from the original Tubular Bells demos. Update: seems to be delayed until Dec 1 (2003)

The DVD audio/video box set including Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A, Tubular Bells II (Edinburgh Castle) DVD, Tubular Bells III (Horseguard’s Parade) DVD, and The Millennium Bell (Berlin) DVD will be released on Nov 17 and will cost £35. Update: Nov 24. Update: Jan 2004.
and a link: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7803

FYI - I thought I'd found it on another site (new) for a very reasonable price, but they cancelled my order.. as "unable to get further stock of this item from our supplier".:(

I already have this one, but thought it would have been a useful trade....:eek:

This box set was released in Australia and definitely included the DVD-A. I cannot say for sure that the UK set was identical, however it sure looks the same. I actually bought a couple of these for friends from an online store here that didn't know what it was and had it on special for A$30, about £15 at the time.

An 8, but you can't dance to it. I just listened to this in the car a few days ago. 10 for fidelity. 7 for performance. I much prefer the original on SACD, CD-4, or SQ (for people with four ears, or so the sticker said.)

Get yer tubes tied!

The original Surround SACD is excellent. Even though it was the very first major label Surround SACD. It stands up well.

If it is the real thing, and there is no good reason to suspect otherwise given the artwork is a direct replica of the DVD-A sleeve, it is well worth snagging at the used price just for the DVD-A version. Boy, does it give the subs a workout!!
I am actualy losing count of the number of versions out there in surround of this title.....

I haven't compared them but I know that the dynamic range of the SHM version is slightly larger (DR14 vs DR12).

An '8'.
Completely over the top mix and sounds fab, pee's all over the DVDV and SACD in the fun stakes! I love it!
Plus I got it for about £12 sealed on Amazon UK when they were having a clear out a couple of years ago.
Win/Win..!

Can anyone tell me if the DVD in "The Complete Tubular Bells; 30th Anniversary 3 CD limited edition; Mike Oldfield" is truly the complete 2003 DVD-A?

Can anyone tell me if the DVD in "The Complete Tubular Bells; 30th Anniversary 3 CD limited edition; Mike Oldfield" is truly the complete 2003 DVD-A?

No, it isn't. The 2013 2CD/DVD set is yet another remix of this piece.
There is the original Quad, the stereo derived from it, the 2003 DVDA & the 2012 2CD/DVD set (containing Dullby Dirgital only) but also available as a 5.1 FLAC download at Bowers & Wilkins

No, it isn't. The 2013 2CD/DVD set is yet another remix of this piece.
There is the original Quad, the stereo derived from it, the 2003 DVDA & the 2012 2CD/DVD set (containing Dullby Dirgital only) but also available as a 5.1 FLAC download at Bowers & Wilkins

I'm waiting with pennies in my hand for the inevitable blu-ray audio of Tubular Balls..!! (y)

I relly forgot how good this sounds, much better even than the quad-sacd (of course it's a re-recording). A ten from me.

tubularbells2003_dvdaudio.jpg

Back