Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"It was the blackout of 1965 and while this record was playing the turntables were slowing down, at first Dan Ingram couldn't figure it out"

You might think this is weird....but believe it or not Jonathan King actually had that very song mixed into quad !
And presented it with other tunes , on January 01 1978 for a Matrix H Quad broadcast, as part of a best of BBC MATRIX H from 1977.
That song was probably the poorest of the ones he featured though, ....
The best was a quad mix of The Stanglers No More Heroes ,title track ,....with an incredible guitar solo at the end circling your speakers.

Anyway thought I'd interject that FYI information, as it seemed appropriate.

Now maybe....maybe...one day someone (I hope)with that broadcast of the Stranglers in quad (77) will be kind enough to post it up on u tube for everyone interested.

Fizzy 😊

In the best Floydian tradition, they've had another slip and PF's official YouTube channel is showcasing some Dark Side outtakes:

Enjoy them while you can, I bet they will be eventually removed, assuming they will be part of the forthcoming box set in March. There's some interesting stuff in there, sounds like complete takes from the recording sessions (that we've heard and seen as fragments in Pompeii, for example).

Oh, on top of this PF released today 18 live recordings (bootlegs) from 1972 in streaming platforms and Hdtracks. Quality is shitty in general, but artwork is the same (kind of) as the outtakes. I hope they won't include all the bootleg in the boxset either.

In the best Floydian tradition, they've had another slip and PF's official YouTube channel is showcasing some Dark Side outtakes:

Enjoy them while you can, I bet they will be eventually removed, assuming they will be part of the forthcoming box set in March. There's some interesting stuff in there, sounds like complete takes from the recording sessions (that we've heard and seen as fragments in Pompeii, for example).

Oh, on top of this PF released today 18 live recordings (bootlegs) from 1972 in streaming platforms and Hdtracks. Quality is shitty in general, but artwork is the same (kind of) as the outtakes. I hope they won't include all the bootleg in the boxset either.

Interesting, they put up a bunch of shows this time last year but they’re all gone. I remember at the time people claiming it was some sort of copyright dodge, “releasing” the bootleg recordings so they don’t become public domain. I bet these disappear in a few months.

Interesting, they put up a bunch of shows this time last year but they’re all gone. I remember at the time people claiming it was some sort of copyright dodge, “releasing” the bootleg recordings so they don’t become public domain. I bet these disappear in a few months.

Yeah, the live recordings are most likely to extend their copyrights. Funny enough, I cued up the one listed as Southampton January 23, 1972. It's definitely the wrong date. A few dead giveaways, first there are backup singers. Also it includes performances of "On the Run" and "Great Gig" (not "Travel Sequence" or "Mortality Sequence"). None of this would have been happening in January '72. I think it's actually the November 16, 1974 performance from London, but I'd have to give it a closer listen. If it is actually 11/16/74, they needn't have bothered for a couple more years.....also half of that was officially released on the Dark Side Immersion box in significantly better quality.

Just download them...oops..a floydian slip...

What do "trance remixes" have to do with 1972? 🤨

Also, the copyright notice is different - whereas the albums have "Pink Floyd Records", these say "Pink Floyd Music Publishers".

You might think this is weird....but believe it or not Jonathan King actually had that very song mixed into quad !
And presented it with other tunes , on January 01 1978 for a Matrix H Quad broadcast, as part of a best of BBC MATRIX H from 1977.
The best was a quad mix of The Stanglers No More Heroes ,title track ,....with an incredible guitar solo at the end circling your speakers.

Now maybe....maybe...one day someone (I hope)with that broadcast of the Stranglers in quad (77) will be kind enough to post it up on u tube for everyone interested.

Fizzy 😊
with the mention of the stranglers , drummer Jet Black passed away last week. I didn't even reaalize he was still alive, as he was very old even way back when. For the moment, at least there is the Hj version of "Burning up time" that is also on one of those broadcasts. I had heard recently that the BBC was moving the audio archives or something to that effect, so maybe some lost tapes will turn up?

anybody want some Atmos? ;)

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 8.09.54 AM.png

Fizzy 😊
That's funny!

I posted that because it's a song about everybody going to the moon, and there was a huge blackout during it's broadcast = everybody going to the dark side of the moon? A stretch for sure.

Interesting it was mixed into surround!

Back to DSotM: it will be a huge marketing opportunity if they mix it into Atmos. For Dolby and whoever owns the rights to their catalog now.

Yeah, I've also seen allusions to DSOTM in Atmos pop up on Reddit. I wonder if there will also be a new stereo mix.

Yeah, I've also seen allusions to DSOTM in Atmos pop up on Reddit. I wonder if there will also be a new stereo mix.
That may have been my post. I shared the image in post #71 (giving credit to @rtbluray) on Spatial Songs to share with that community, and in the hopes it drives an internet sleuth to do some digging to find out more.

As someone who doesn't have the Immersion Set disc, It would be neat to see a simple disc-in-sleeve like Animals 2018 with the original stereo, original quad, original 5.1, the Atmos, and maybe like a needle drop of a first press or something. Not likely, but hey, a man can dream

Last edited:
That may have been my post. I shared the image in post #71 (giving credit to @rtbluray) on Spatial Songs to share with that community, and in the hopes it drives an internet sleuth to do some digging to find out more.

As someone who doesn't have the Immersion Set disc, It would be neat to see a simple disc-in-sleeve like Animals 2018 with the original stereo, original quad, original 5.1, the quad, and maybe like a needle drop of a first press or something. Not likely, but hey, a man can dream
I think the credit this time should go to our colleague @rontoon who shared the pic first at pinkfloydz forum and Y!

Back