Pink Floyd PULSE Blu-Ray out in February

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are making me crazy, it is exactly this:
"Alan is delighted to announce the new stereo, 5.1 and Dolby Atmos mixes of the recently completed Pink Floyd: Live at Earls Court in London 1994 that played the entirety of The Dark Side Of The Moon."

Do you want me to make a new thread?

Pulse was PF recorded live at Earls court in 1994, why are they calling it something different is my question? Is it not the same show as Pulse???

[watching now] Sound quality is top notch (for a live show). Video transfer done well, vibrant and dynamic. I have a large screen and it's enjoyable to watch despite it being a legacy format. I never had the DVD and may have never seen the video for it before. Had the CDs, which I think most did. The Momentary Lapse/Division Bell era stuff sounds all too same-y for me. Everything through The Wall on here are good performances. Boxed set quality good. This is a good value at $30-ish, probably would have been fine paying full price to be honest but don't tell PF/Amazon that. lol

Only nit (and I read this in reviews) is that occasionally I notice the out of sync video/audio, as a musician that's like fingernails across a chalkboard. It would seem like something obvious that could have been avoided, or corrected if that was the case.

I like that Gilmour is heavily involved, as front man and plays a lot of the leads. He carries the show. I feel that's missing with Waters stuff post Floyd, and I much prefer Waters over Gilmour (as solo artists and vocalists).

It's nice having classic concerts by this band getting re-released in better formats. I missed out on much of this at the time as I wasn't as interested as I am now.

I do have to ask -- what's up with the coked up 80s reject second percussionist? His 'performance' seems a bit tone deaf, he knows he's playing with Pink Floyd right? Not Miami Sound Machine!? [nevermind, wikipedia answered this for me. tl;dr he was a bad idea to inject energy into the show, but instead IMHO sticks out like a sore thumb]
The percussionist is Gary Wallis and deserves a lot of respect as he's about the only guy on stage moving, making up for the otherwise lack of stage presence. Gilmour hired him but was also doing coke during that time so singling out Wallis isn't fair. Have you seen Guy Pratt doing standup comedy? Coked to the gills.

I hope they use some AI upscaling to help the video. I'm in for the audio side alone, but that would be a nice bonus. Now waiting for the pre-order link :D

I hope they use some AI upscaling to help the video. I'm in for the audio side alone, but that would be a nice bonus. Now waiting for the pre-order link :D
I hope they don't and they leave it unmolested. I've been unimpressed with the AI video upscaling I've seen to date. Give it 10 years to mature and maybe it'll do some good.

finally if they are honestly going to release this later this year instead of "The Wall" then PF should get rid of their management cause they are doing nothing for us fans.
Concerning The Wall and it's delayed release, IMHO I think we'll see the release timing here make the Animals delay seem like a blink of the eye. We all know that Waters considers The Wall his special baby and he will do anything within his power to mess with Gilmore and delay it's Atmos release. A very sad situation for fans but that's just Waters and is hugely over inflated ego. :mad:

The blurb from Alan sure makes it sound like it's just the Dark Side performance.
I don't know, I guess time will tell.
AFAIK I've seen everything out from the Pulse recordings and only have one concern. The performance used for closing recording of Comfortably Numb is the one I will always think of when the "greatest guitar solo" ever captured is discussed. David has done some killer renditions in the past and since, but the one on that master has never been bettered, the emotion poured into his playing is just incredible.
Notice my avatar. LOL

I hope they don't and they leave it unmolested. I've been unimpressed with the AI video upscaling I've seen to date. Give it 10 years to mature and maybe it'll do some good.

I've seen it be good. I feel like it's worth investigating. I know this, blown up on my screen the current Blu Ray needs help. A lot of help.

I've seen it be good. I feel like it's worth investigating. I know this, blown up on my screen the current Blu Ray needs help. A lot of help.
Unfortunately Pulse was shot on video (???) so they can't really make it look any better than it already is, regardless of upscaling.

Unfortunately Pulse was shot on video (???) so they can't really make it look any better than it already is, regardless of upscaling.

Oh I'm aware of that. AI takes frame data from multiple frames and uses that to create detail. It can be effective, but (as @Owen Smith points out) it can be detrimental too. The latest efforts have been more hit than miss. I don't expect it to look like a pristine modern HD transfer, but if they can coax it into looking better and fixing some of the issues I'd like them to try.

Ironically the remastered Delicate Sound of Thunder looks miles better than Pulse now. It was shot on film. I think 16mm.

The blu ray of Pulse looks fine on my 32" 1080p screen, clearly showing everything there is to be had from an SD studio quality video source. I don't know what more anyone can expect, you are seeing it as good as the live video feed in the recording system on the day.

Last edited:
Ironically the remastered Delicate Sound of Thunder looks miles better than Pulse now. It was shot on film. I think 16mm.
Opinions online differ, some say 16mm but the majority including press releases about the remastered blu ray say 35mm. I agree it looks excellent, but that's because 35mm film is good enough for 4K.

Opinions online differ, some say 16mm but the majority including press releases about the remastered blu ray say 35mm. I agree it looks excellent, but that's because 35mm film is good enough for 4K.
FYI, Owen, 35mm film is said to have 3500 lines of resolution so 4K will more than adequately reproduce it. 1080p not quite!

The blu ray looks fine on my 32" 1080p screen, clearly showing everything there is to be had from an SD studio quality video source. I don't know what more anyone can expect, you are seeing it as good as the live video feed in the recording system on the day.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the transfer itself or that it isn't accurate to the source. Just saying that with the technology available, why not try to improve it? It's a pretty problematic picture (especially at 68x51") , but any video from the time trying to capture that concert would be. I had it on LD, DVD and have it on Blu Ray. Just hoping for some kind of improvement on the video side this go around. Like I said the Atmos audio alone will get me to purchase it again, especially with Alan Parsons doing the work.

I wasn't sure on 16 vs 35mm for Delicate Sound of Thunder. I'm just glad something replaced the LD copy and it looks this good.

Back