Pink Floyd PULSE Blu-Ray out in February

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's an approximation, film doesn't work that way. And 1080 is way less than 3500.
My point exactly, Owen. 4K will reproduce 35mm film more than adequately while 1080p [or 2K[ will NOT!

Larger format film like 65mm/70mm and VistaVision will still register quite well in 4K!

LOLOLOL, Boy this Pulse announcement really got our members spinning.
For now I'm just waiting for David Gilmour's new album in Sept. ;)

My point exactly, Owen. 4K will reproduce 35mm film more than adequately while 1080p [or 2K[ will NOT!
Hmm. This is going to depend on the grain of the film stock, which will vary between film types. And then there is how it was exposed and developed.

But if 35mm film is worth 3500 lines for the sake of argument, that tells me 4K (which has 2K lines) can only capture about half of the resolution and 8K (which is 4K lines) would be getting everything there is to be had from the negatives.
Larger format film like 65mm/70mm and VistaVision will still register quite well in 4K!
65mm/75mm and VistaVision deserve 8K transfers, and even that isn't good enough really. And when we get on to film IMAX, nothing digital that we have today comes within a factor of 10. Laser IMAX is a lie, it's nothing like as high resolution as film IMAX.

LOLOLOL, Boy this Pulse announcement really got our members spinning.
For now I'm just waiting for David Gilmour's new album in Sept. ;)

Well it's still the best concert I've ever seen and at this point I've seen a lot of them. And it was a staple to watch on LD. We probably spun those discs hundreds of times. Then later on DVD and finally the Blu. I'm definitely excited for an Atmos mix of this.

And I preordered the new album day 1. Everything I've heard from it so far says it will be worth it.

Concerning The Wall and it's delayed release, IMHO I think we'll see the release timing here make the Animals delay seem like a blink of the eye. We all know that Waters considers The Wall his special baby and he will do anything within his power to mess with Gilmore and delay it's Atmos release. A very sad situation for fans but that's just Waters and is hugely over inflated ego.
And the drama of all that mess is likely to put Gilmour off doing anything with the Wall. Would you want to go through all that again with Waters?

At least with Delicate Sound Of Thunder and Pulse those are live shows post Waters, I believe therefore Waters has no say in them at all.

Even better was me sitting in the stands of Soldiers Field in Chicago, one warm August night in 1994. An evening that was a night that is forever etched in my mind. :love:
It was Cyclone stadium for us in Ames Iowa. I can still remember what a spectacle it was. Especially the giant disco ball. Felt like the world was rotating around it. And the amount of people. Other have concerts sold more tickets just because they could allocate more to seating (Floyd sold every seat they could), but I've never seen more people there for a concert. We climbed up to the edge of the stadium and people were sitting on their car hoods on the side of the road as far as we could see and the parking lot of the adjacent arena was packed full. When the tickets went live it crashed the local phone system. Such an incredible concert.

And I can't wait to see what Alan does with it. He knows what it means to the fans and with his connection to the album I really think he will make sure it is as perfect as it can be.

Hmm. This is going to depend on the grain of the film stock, which will vary between film types. And then there is how it was exposed and developed.

But if 35mm film is worth 3500 lines for the sake of argument, that tells me 4K (which has 2K lines) can only capture about half of the resolution and 8K (which is 4K lines) would be getting everything there is to be had from the negatives.

65mm/75mm and VistaVision deserve 8K transfers, and even that isn't good enough really. And when we get on to film IMAX, nothing digital that we have today comes within a factor of 10. Laser IMAX is a lie, it's nothing like as high resolution as film IMAX.
Hi totally agree with you with regard to IMAX , I saw film IMAX at cape Kennedy space centre in the lat 1990,s and was amazed at the quality . I then went to see an IMAX presentation at the London science museum and couldn,t believe how different it looked . It appears that the IMAX description has been hijacked to just mean Larger Screen rather than the Highest Quality

a lot of things concern me about this.
while Guthrie's mixes are not that exciting from a surround standpoint, they are sonically very close to perfection, so while I'm sure Alan will be more adventurous with the surround placement, my concern is that a lot of Guthrie's sonic qualities will be lost in the new mix.
also as others have already pointed out, we got the restored Blu-Ray edition first in the "Later Years" box set 5 years ago and then another release in 2022 outside of the big box set.
so another release to buy within 2-3 years of the previous one?
finally if they are honestly going to release this later this year instead of "The Wall" then PF should get rid of their management cause they are doing nothing for us fans.
the best stuff is rotting on a shelf while we get more reissues of the same stuff...

:(
As far as Pulse, yeah it's overkill. I won't be buying it. I know Alan Parsons felt stiffed when DSOTM was surround remixed by Guthrie instead of asking him. Many have said that Alan Parsons' 70s Quad Mix was better than Guthrie's 5.1 mix. Perhaps this was Gilmour throwing Alan a bone, to work on Pulse?
Side bar: Roger apparently got dumped by his music publisher last year (for political reasons, and perhaps illegally) so there may be a lawsuit there. Not sure if that will have an effect on when The Wall is released. When they split with Rog in '85, he was to get everything (rights) involving The Wall so I'm not sure how much control "Pink Floyd" have, over the release of The Wall. The other variable is, Queen just sold their catalog for $1.25billion. Pink Floyd? "Hold my beer." Will they sell the catalog before or after the release of The Wall surround reissue?

It would be nice if they put all 3 versions of Pulse on this. The broadcast version, original video release version and the re-edit version all upscaled etc with Atmos et al.
Another I’d like would be to have the palace of versailles footage and live at the Omni dome for a 1987/88-90 anthology disc. Oh and La Carrera.

Last edited:
One point everyone has missed about the picture is that it was shot on video (for/by the BBC) in PAL 50i (625 lines although effectively it’s only 576 lines). For the most recent blu-ray and DVD remaster it was ‘filmised’ and looks horrid - IMHO - for it. Hopefully this new release will restore it back to the ‘live/video’ look.

One point everyone has missed about the picture is that it was shot on video (for/by the BBC) in PAL 50i (625 lines although effectively it’s only 576 lines). For the most recent blu-ray and DVD remaster it was ‘filmised’ and looks horrid - IMHO - for it. Hopefully this new release will restore it back to the ‘live/video’ look.
I only have the most recent blu ray release so have nothing to compare it to. But I agree that 'filmising' things for the sake of it is a mistake, it throws away the one advantage the original video has (more fields per second even if they are interlaced) and gains nothing in return.

It was Cyclone stadium for us in Ames Iowa. I can still remember what a spectacle it was. Especially the giant disco ball. Felt like the world was rotating around it. And the amount of people. Other have concerts sold more tickets just because they could allocate more to seating (Floyd sold every seat they could), but I've never seen more people there for a concert. We climbed up to the edge of the stadium and people were sitting on their car hoods on the side of the road as far as we could see and the parking lot of the adjacent arena was packed full. When the tickets went live it crashed the local phone system. Such an incredible concert.

And I can't wait to see what Alan does with it. He knows what it means to the fans and with his connection to the album I really think he will make sure it is as perfect as it can be.
It was the now-defunct Silverdome in Pontiac, MI in July of 94 for me. I thought sounds were coming from all around me, but I was so high and it was so loud I couldn't tell. Painted my ride for the occasion, too. My friend and I shaved our eyebrows and wore all black with the hammer insignia armbands. We got some strange looks. One guy came up to us and was "intrigued" by our outfits and asked us what we thought the hammers stood for. He obviously wasn't a huge fan. I'm pretty sure he wanted to kick our ass.
IMG_7451-2.jpg

It was the now-defunct Silverdome in Pontiac, MI in July of 94 for me. I thought sounds were coming from all around me, but I was so high and it was so loud I couldn't tell. Painted my ride for the occasion, too. My friend and I shaved our eyebrows and wore all black with the hammer insignia armbands. We got some strange looks. One guy came up to us and was "intrigued" by our outfits and asked us what we thought the hammers stood for. He obviously wasn't a huge fan. I'm pretty sure he wanted to kick our ass. View attachment 107887
Should have told him to make sure he rented the video tape of "The Wall" (the movie) and all his questions would be answered.

It was the now-defunct Silverdome in Pontiac, MI in July of 94 for me. I thought sounds were coming from all around me, but I was so high and it was so loud I couldn't tell. Painted my ride for the occasion, too. My friend and I shaved our eyebrows and wore all black with the hammer insignia armbands. We got some strange looks. One guy came up to us and was "intrigued" by our outfits and asked us what we thought the hammers stood for. He obviously wasn't a huge fan. I'm pretty sure he wanted to kick our ass. View attachment 107887
We were at the silver dome show also. Had seen them earlier in Cleveland and wanted to see it ahain.

A post on the Steve Hoffman forum confirmed that it is only the Dark Side Set and Encores that were remixed by AP. If you look at the DVDs, etc. from the Later Years set, they break up the show in 3 parts. The first set is referred to as Pulse. The second set as the DSOTM and third as Encores. Apparently now "Pulse" only refers to the first set?

I also saw the 1994 tour at the Silver Dome. Was a great show. Also saw them in 1987 at JFK, ticket cost $20.00, and Veterans Stadium Phila Pa, ticket cost $22.50. That JFK show was one of the the last times they played Echoes live.

Also it will apparently be audio and A/V.

A post on the Steve Hoffman forum confirmed that it is only the Dark Side Set and Encores that were remixed by AP.
So who has done the Atmos mix for the first part of the concert? Or is this release only going to be the second and third part of the concert, which would be bizarre?

A post on the Steve Hoffman forum confirmed that it is only the Dark Side Set and Encores that were remixed by AP. If you look at the DVDs, etc. from the Later Years set, they break up the show in 3 parts. The first set is referred to as Pulse. The second set as the DSOTM and third as Encores. Apparently now "Pulse" only refers to the first set?

I also saw the 1994 tour at the Silver Dome. Was a great show. Also saw them in 1987 at JFK, ticket cost $20.00, and Veterans Stadium Phila Pa, ticket cost $22.50. That JFK show was one of the the last times they played Echoes live.

Also it will apparently be audio and A/V.
I saw them at RFK stadium (DC) in 1994 July 10th. I’d agree with those that think it was the most spectacular concert they ever saw. The scope of the show was tremendous. I managed to get what the band had designated as the best area to experience the show (basically center floor about 60 feet out from the stage).

That concert had everything and it was performed meticulously and flawlessly. With all that said, the reviews of this new release would have to perfect for me to spring for another copy of Pulse.

Back