Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I was extremely p*ssed off having no heating, but my Floyd box set had turned up so that lightened my mood, but I felt too cold to enjoy listening to any music. Well the heating is still f***ed, but it is a bit warmer today. So I looked on QQ and saw that some 5.1 maybe hidden on the discs.

So I downloaded MakeMKV, ran it on the REVERBER/ATION disc, then downloaded multiAVCDH 4.1 (you need 3 additional plugins - Avisynth, fddshow, haali or it won't work), ran it to author a BD with a Top menu, chapters set-up etc., used imgBurn to burn to a BD-R. Stuck the resulting BD in my Denon, and I've got MEDDLE IN 5.1 DTS blasting out of my system. :51banana: So who gives a sh*t about f***ing heating now!!

Oh what joy :cool: :wave :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :woopie

Thank you :worthy Mr Jackson for a great mix, so clear now, this is how it should be heard.

So it's not just a simple plug in and play for a technophobe like me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well holy hell. I'd imagine people are tearing apart the other Blu-rays looking for other gems.

EDIT: Pardon me while I skip ahead to the 1971 Blu-ray for some MakeMKV-ing

EDIT to the EDIT: Is it cheaper and faster to change a Blu-Ray menu than to re-author a disc? If so, my mind begins to wonder.

Re-authoring is changing menus, etc. Someone forgot to hit the delete key while selecting one of the "assets" in the browser window is all. Left us a $35 bonus track!

Apologies if I missed this, but has anyone checked the 1972 Blu-Ray to see if the 5.1 mix of Obscured By Clouds is similarly hidden?

Well, with the glitches found on Floyd's WYWH disc a few years ago, and Tull's TAAB too, it's about time that a screw-up would be in our favor for once.

"They owe it to the people, we're so happy we can hardly count"

Questions re the BBC material:

Are all the sessions they recorded at the BBC present and complete?

Also, I read some of the sessions - I can't remember which - are in mono but have been available in stereo on boots. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't possibly know - I'm not well versed in all sessions. All the session that I am familiar with are present.

I am so happy for those that ordered the boxset for the hidden surprise Meddle in 5.1. As some others have said its about time that a mistake made is actually to the advantage of the consumer for once.
Here's hoping that Jame Guthrie changes his mind on the 5.1's being released for real since 1000's of people will already have one of the 5.1's anyways.
This boxset is still out of reach price wise for me so I will cling to the small hope that some of these surrounds get released separately or price reduction down the road which sometimes happens as was able to pick up Dark Side of The Moon Immersion used for $45 3 years after its initial release.

peter

If they had accidentally left Obscured By Clouds 5.1 on there as well, they would then have to rush release Immersion sets on these two titles at a speed like you ain't never seen. They would work out their god damn legal rifts like yesterday, and be done with it.

Seems Christmas came extra early for Floyd fans:)
I must say, I can't afford the box but this really makes me start to pine....

I think now they'll have to release this surround Meddle individually. It's out there, may as well capitalize now lol

I am so happy for those that ordered the boxset for the hidden surprise Meddle in 5.1. As some others have said its about time that a mistake made is actually to the advantage of the consumer for once.
Here's hoping that Jame Guthrie changes his mind on the 5.1's being released for real since 1000's of people will already have one of the 5.1's anyways.
This boxset is still out of reach price wise for me so I will cling to the small hope that some of these surrounds get released separately or price reduction down the road which sometimes happens as was able to pick up Dark Side of The Moon Immersion used for $45 3 years after its initial release.

peter

I'm with you on that. Just last week, AmazonUS was selling Pink Floyd's boxset The Endless River for $8.15 and David Gilmour's boxset of Rattle That Lock for under $10. Since I'm NOT a rabid PF fan and had NO interest in The Early Years it would be nice to have some of the contained 5.1/4.0 remixes of their individual albums as separate releases.......when the dust settles between Guthrie & company.

And I'm sure those who didn't shell out the money for the initial Early Years will be rewarded down the road with a significant price reduction if the trend of downward spiraling prices holds true.

I'm with you on that. Just last week, AmazonUS was selling Pink Floyd's boxset The Endless River for $8.15 and David Gilmour's boxset of Rattle That Lock for under $10. Since I'm NOT a rabid PF fan and had NO interest in The Early Years it would be nice to have some of the contained 5.1/4.0 remixes of their individual albums as separate releases.......when the dust settles between Guthrie & company.

And I'm sure those who didn't shell out the money for the initial Early Years will be rewarded down the road with a significant price reduction if the trend of downward spiraling prices holds true.

Or those who didn't shell out now will be forever regretting their loss of the Meddle 5.1 mix which got deleted and never arrived again on legit release. It can always go both ways.

The fact that the 5.1 of Meddle was hidden has taken me back to November 1971 and being 14yrs old listening in bed with the microphone of my cassette recorder held against my radio as John Peel played all of Meddle on his late night show on BBC Radio-1. Then 4 years later completely out of my tree as Floyd played Echoes in Quad at the Knebworth festival - happy days!

This news of the hidden 5.1 Meddle is both fantastic and, for those of us who couldn't afford the full box, so frustrating. I'm planning to buy the individual sets when they are released (hopefully) next year, so my fingers are crossed that the hidden mix will still be on there (of course, I'll need a crash course in ripping and burning BR discs in the meantime!). Can we all promise to keep this as on the down low as possible so that the powers-that-be don't find out? Pretty please??

This whole saga of the Floyd boxed set certainly has been an emotional rollercoaster....I've never had so many conflicting feelings about a music release in my lifetime of collecting!

Or those who didn't shell out now will be forever regretting their loss of the Meddle 5.1 mix which got deleted and never arrived again on legit release. It can always go both ways.

Yes, there's always that possibility but I'm sure enough 'casual' PF fans will rally for that Meddle Release as a stand alone BD~A release ......... and was it really a mistake or a concession to fans who balked at it not being included in such an extravagantly priced boxset? But even if I did have that boxset, I would be unable to extract Meddle from its hidden crevice [what's THAT all about] as I don't have the tools or knowhow involved [and I'm sure I'm NOT alone].

Back