Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From your lips to God's ear. :SG

Sal, one would think that within the music community, Steve Wilson's remixing skills would be somewhat legendary, but Waters' insistence on his old standby, James Guthrie precludes all rationale. Wasn't Waters even aware that in the surround community, Alan Parson's original 4.0 remix of DSOTM was much preferred over Guthrie's 5.1 remix......by a significant margin?

Sal, one would think that within the music community, Steve Wilson's remixing skills would be somewhat legendary, but Waters' insistence on his old standby, James Guthrie precludes all rationale. Wasn't Waters even aware that in the surround community, Alan Parson's original 4.0 remix of DSOTM was much preferred over Guthrie's 5.1 remix......by a significant margin?
IMHO, There's always been something not right with Waters brain and thinking directions. But I got in trouble the last time we were talking about Roger here sooooooooooooooooooooooo. LOL

It's all been said before. There's always been tension between Roger and David and there was a huge breakdown when The Early Years was released. Apparently no one ever bothered to get Roger's approval for the 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC. A combination of spite and territorial pissing (Guthrie is the only one supposed to be working on the Floyd's pre-Wall catalog) saw Roger disapproving these mixes which had to be pulled at the 11th hour and artwork and publicity for the box had to be changed. This cost David and company a lot of grief and expense.

Roger worked with Guthrie on the Animals 5.1 and new stereo mixes and wants to see it released. It will eventually be released but in the meantime Gilmour's simply seeking some payback by stalling the project.

First off, I had no idea that pulling the 5.1 mixes of "Meddle" and "Obscured by Clouds" from the Early Years box set proved to be so costly for the band. No wonder David is still pissed about that, but I'm sure both the "Animals" and "The Wall" 5.1 mixes will be released after this year once David and co release the new editions of "Delicate Sound of Thunder" outside of the Later Years box set (unless of course the next releases are the new version of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" and/or "PULSE" outside of the Later Years box set.)

:)

It's one thing to dislike Guthrie's approach to surround mixing (I'm not a big fan of it either), but to proclaim that the band having him do the 5.1 mixes 'precludes all rationale' makes no sense to me whatsoever. I love Steven Wilson's work, but why would Gilmour & Waters entrust someone they've never worked with before to remix The Wall instead of the guy who co-produced, recorded & mixed the original album?

You also have to remember that much of what we hear in the final 5.1 mixes of DSOTM and WYWH is likely a result of the band's input during the mixing process. Guthrie was interviewed about the DSOTM remix back in 2003, and he details how the band had him 'tone down' certain aspects of the 5.1 and make all kinds of other changes. He also mentions that the band listened to the original quad mix and deliberately chose not to use it for 2003 SACD release. Fortunately for us quad fans, the quad mixes have been included in the last few box sets.

Good to know that this project is moving along! And does Roger even need the rest of the band to agree to release anything Wall related? Wasn't that part of the deal in the 80s? Gilmour was granted access to use the name in exchange for Roger to have control of The Wall? Or did I mishear something?

The recording is owned by Pink Floyd Music Ltd. which is an equal ownership between Roger, David, and Nick.
Plus David Gilmour is a co-producer on the original Wall album, along with Roger, James Guthrie, and Bob Ezrin.

Hmmmm. Waters/Guthrie or Gilmour/Jackson? Give me the latter any day of the week.

Neither mixer completely hits the mark 100%
Andy's mixes are more sonically immersive, but James' mixes have a higher sonic quality to them.
I think James is still the best person for remixing the Floyd's catalogue in surround sound.

AMEM (y)

I do hope for everyone that The Wall becomes a reality sooner rather than later but to be honest I have little interest.
I probably listen to Animals a couple times a month for one of my Pink Floyd fixes, along with just about every other post Adam Heart Mother album in my library.
On the other hand, it's been years since I played The Wall for enjoyment. If I never heard a bunch of middleschoolers scream "hey teacher, live those kids along" again I'd be at peace with it. LOL

Posted from phone? The lyric is, "Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone!"

It's one thing to dislike Guthrie's approach to surround mixing (I'm not a big fan of it either), but to proclaim that the band having him do the 5.1 mixes 'precludes all rationale' makes no sense to me whatsoever. I love Steven Wilson's work, but why would Gilmour & Waters entrust someone they've never worked with before to remix The Wall instead of the guy who co-produced, recorded & mixed the original album?

You also have to remember that much of what we hear in the final 5.1 mixes of DSOTM and WYWH is likely a result of the band's input during the mixing process. Guthrie was interviewed about the DSOTM remix back in 2003, and he details how the band had him 'tone down' certain aspects of the 5.1 and make all kinds of other changes. He also mentions that the band listened to the original quad mix and deliberately chose not to use it for 2003 SACD release. Fortunately for us quad fans, the quad mixes have been included in the last few box sets.

By the same token, Alan Parsons did a phenomenol engineering job of DSOTM and an equally gorgeous QUAD 4.0 remix and 'the boys' poo pooed his remix and enlisted Guthrie to do a 'tamer' remix and if I correctly read all the QQ threads over the years, the Parsons' remix is more revered.

You're right, Jonathan, Waters and Gilmour can choose whomever they want, if they could just reach a gentleman's agreement, to remix their back catalogue but wouldn't it be ducky if they enlisted the uber talents of Steve Wilson with whom, I'm sure, they are in some way acquainted or at the very least heard of his skills through their musical grapevine to perhaps lend a more contemporary remixing approach to their classic opuses...for a new millennium.

Unless they're saving that for the ATMOS remixes.

Last edited:
Yes, it's wishful thinking on my part, but I think we can count four (as of yet) unreleased 5.1 mixes by the band: Obscured by Clouds, Meddle, Animals and The Wall. By combining these to the Quad mixes of Atom Heart Mother, The Dark Side of The Moon & Wish You Were Here and the 5.1 mixes of The Dark Side of The Moon & Wish You Were Here, I'm hoping a box set could be put together. That's one box set I would buy instantly. I also believe it could be a big seller.

Having burned out on the Wall years ago, and not being a fan of Guthrie's 5.1 mixes (I think his 5.1 of Dark Side of the Moon suuuuucks), I'm probably going to pass on this. I know it's an iconic album, but I really can't listen to it anymore

Guthrie, recipient of the British Knights of the Meh for surround mixing.

Neither mixer completely hits the mark 100%
Andy's mixes are more sonically immersive, but James' mixes have a higher sonic quality to them.
I think James is still the best person for remixing the Floyd's catalogue in surround sound.

Maybe they should work together great sounding surround mix

Didn't Roger basically get The Wall in the divorce? That may have just been about performing it live but I feel like this could have applied to the movie (thus, the Roger-centric DVD) and possibly the album too?

Didn't Roger basically get The Wall in the divorce? That may have just been about performing it live but I feel like this could have applied to the movie (thus, the Roger-centric DVD) and possibly the album too?

As I said earlier, The recording is owned by Pink Floyd Music Ltd. which is an equal ownership between Roger, David, and Nick.
Plus David Gilmour is a co-producer on the original Wall album, along with Roger, James Guthrie, and Bob Ezrin.

Back