Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may not feel like it since some of the recent releases from the band are things that many of us aren't interested in, but in recent years there has been a steady flow of stuff coming:

5/17/24: Animals Atmos blu-ray
4/19/24: Dark Side of the Moon picture disc
12/8/23: Atom Heart Mother CD/blu-ray
10/13/23: Dark Side of the Moon Atmos blu-ray
7/28/23: Wet Dream CD reissue (with blu-ray following shortly after)
3/24/23: Dark Side of the Moon 50th anniversary box
3/24/23: Dark Side of the Moon live at Wembley '74
10/21/22: "Hey Hey Rise Up" single
9/16/22: Animals 5.1 blu-ray (plus box set shortly after)
4/29/22: A Saucerful of Secrets mono LP (general release following an RSD exclusive release a few years prior)
10/29/21: A Momentary Lapse of Reason box set
4/30/21: Live at Knebworth 1990
11/20/20: Delicate Sound of Thunder CD/Vinyl/Video
12/13/19: The Later Years box set

That's just in the last five years, and I may have even missed a couple of things. So it's not like there's any reluctance on the part of the band to reissue the old catalog. However, with Gilmour's forthcoming album looming, I doubt we'll see any old Floyd albums getting any sort of reissue until he's done with the promotional cycle for it. Wish You Were Here was a September '75 release. So we probably won't see the 50th anniversary reissue of that come until late next year. Will they fit something in between that and DG's album? Possibly. Given the rate of releases above, it's not outside the realm of possibility.

the stereo remix of "Animals" came about because of their dissatisfaction with the original stereo mix, not the case with both "Dark Side" and "Wish You Were Here". I think the only new mix we are likely to get for WYWH is a Dolby Atmos mix.
Do you think they would change their minds in the future tho?

Mainly as I heard that the dark side master tape is pretty worn out and had few seconds recorded over thanks to a blunder by MFSL.

For Wish You Were Here unless it was bounced multiple times prior to the final mix down then I don't think it would benefit quite as much as a Dark Side remix.

Mainly as I heard that the dark side master tape is pretty worn out and had few seconds recorded over thanks to a blunder by MFSL.

For Wish You Were Here unless it was bounced multiple times prior to the final mix down then I don't think it would benefit quite as much as a Dark Side remix.
I can't see them remixing anything else in stereo. Animals was the exception to the rule (and AMLOR, of course).

Really? Where? In the middle of Gilmour's Money guitar solo?

I still think it could be released later this year, but if it doesn't make it out by the end of the year, then I fear we won't see or hear it until 2026, cause the release for 2025 is bound to be 50th Anniversary editions of "Wish You Were Here", including a very probable Dolby Atmos mix of the album
Definitely. More scarfs and stickers and postcards and other obscure tools 😬 but if you're patient enough to dig through all of that there are also those discs you paid for, somewhere on the bottom of the box 🎁 look carefully. But I won't lie I will be the first in the world to pre-order

Definitely. More scarfs and stickers and postcards and other obscure tools 😬 but if you're patient enough to dig through all of that there are also those discs you paid for, somewhere on the bottom of the box 🎁 look carefully. But I won't lie I will be the first in the world to pre-order
They should have Gerald scarfs.

That hypothetical Blu-ray needs to include the original quad mix without the damned editing that ruined the version in the Immersion box.
Given that the DSOTM quad wasn't on the 50th anniversary box at all, I wouldn't have my hopes high. And I don't see how they can deal with the edit if they want to keep all versions of the album running more or less at the same time.

Perhaps the solution would be a separate blu-ray that only contains all the vintage quad mixes? There was an authoring error with the AHM quad on The Early Years, so WYWH wouldn't be the only one that could do with an update. Throw in the mono mixes of Piper and Saucerful while you're at it. Oh, and the full version of "Pigs on the Wing".

Alternatively, they could sell the original quad mixes standalone via Immersiva Audio Album. I mean, why go through the trouble of remastering all the original stereo mixes and putting them on HDTracks in high resolution, but then treating the quad mixes so much worse? They're historical artefacts just like the stereo versions, and aside from "Echoes" they were all released pretty widely back in the day.

Last edited:
have my hopes high. And I don't see how they can deal with the edit if they want to keep all versions of the album running more or less at the same time.
Just put the ones with different running times in different titles. To make the format dictate what the music can be is crazy. Though, having said that, I've often wondered if the different edit almost 50 years ago was simply a flat-out mistake (as is how side one ends on the US SQ pressing) that they felt justified in correcting. But even if that's the case, it irritates me because that little difference (along with a few others) was a big part of the fun of the quad version.

There was an authoring error with the AHM quad on The Early Years
I either missed that completely or have forgotten about it. Can you expand on that? I wonder if it's something that I was never aware of because I've never actually played the disc. I just stuck it in the computer and snagged the bits.

Gerald Scarfe Scarf.jpg

Back