Prince "Purple Rain" Dolby Atmos Mix (Blu-ray Audio to be released later this year)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No love for Cher??? Janelle Monae??? Mandy Moore???
And David Bowie in THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH, JUST A GIGOLO and THE HUNGER!!!! .... And even a nod to Rock superstar Justin Timberlake who is not bad as well!

And why NOT MICK JAGGER who co starred in PERFORMANCE, BENT, FREEJACK and NED KELLY among others.

Last edited:
Henry was great in Feast and I rather enjoyed him in He Never Died.
What do you want to do today?
I'm doing it.

But yeah, he acts as well as he sings...

I have not seen this mentioned anywhwere. 4K reissue of the movie:
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=34483
No Atmos but new 5.1 mix of the audio for the movie:
"The film's audio was also restored from the original Dolby Stereo (LCRS) archived 35mm magnetic film source elements containing the separate dialogue, music, and effects (DME) tracks. These restored elements along with the 20th anniversary's 5.1 multi-channel print master were used to complete a newly remastered 5.1 presentation for the film."
Being that itā€™s the movie and states ā€œremasteredā€ rather than ā€œnew mixā€; I donā€™t have a lot of faith for an other than typical live Prince style sound. Which is mainly audience in the rears. Iā€™m still hoping the album gets a 2024 5.1 mix thatā€™s at least as good as what they did with DaP.

had created a thread after searching for "Prince" only to see there was already a thread under "Purple Rain" so now the thread title is updated with this obviously awesome news!

:)
excerpt from the rhino announcement:

"The new ATMOS presentation of Purple Rain has been meticulously mixed from the original multi-track master tapes by former Prince engineer and award-winning ATMOS engineer Chris James. It is available now via all participating Digital Service Providers on June 21, with an audiophile Blu-ray to be released later in 2024.

ā€œAs we begin what will be a year-long celebration of the 40th anniversary of Purple Rain, we are thrilled to present Princeā€™s masterpiece in ATMOS, providing an immersive, surround auditory experience of Princeā€™s legendary album. This highly crafted release will present Princeā€™s iconic work with a greater sense of space and depth while preserving the beautiful songs that have shaped pop culture and touched the lives of countless fans around the world.ā€

- Paisley Park Enterprises"

*anyone heard the Atmos on Apple Spatial, etc. yet?

"The new ATMOS presentation of Purple Rain has been meticulously mixed from the original multi-track master tapes by former Prince engineer and award-winning ATMOS engineer Chris James. It is available now via all participating Digital Service Providers on June 21, with an audiophile Blu-ray to be released later in 2024.

ā€œAs we begin what will be a year-long celebration of the 40th anniversary of Purple Rain, we are thrilled to present Princeā€™s masterpiece in ATMOS, providing an immersive, surround auditory experience of Princeā€™s legendary album. This highly crafted release will present Princeā€™s iconic work with a greater sense of space and depth while preserving the beautiful songs that have shaped pop culture and touched the lives of countless fans around the world.ā€

yes. not a fan.

yes. not a fan.

Blu~ray.com's review of Warner's new Native UHD4K remaster of PURPLE RAIN [completely remixed new Soundtrack in DTS~HD MA 5.1]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Purple-Rain-4K-Blu-ray/357839/#Review

71uS2xGMFUL._SL1500_.jpg

I had family over last night who never heard Atmos. I played When Doves Cry for them. (My first time hearing it). Their heading are still spinning.

So if Rhino has a press release on this, does that mean they will be releasing/selling it? Or is this going to be specifically an SDE release?

Also, I doubt they'll do this, but I really hope they do a specific 5.1 surround mix, too. The fold-down sometimes can be a bit bland compared to a dedicated 5.1.

Back