Queen's first album gets deluxe edition, but disappointingly no surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colsky

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Last edited:
It would be quite the coup if SDE would get to do a physical release of the Atmos version.
There is no announcement of this box site on the SDE site yet, which *could* implicate something. (but then again, it couldn't)
Given that Sony Music own all of Queens back catalogue now this really would be quite a coup for SDE...

Last edited:
Queen's first album has been remixed as Queen I in various formats, CD vinyl and cassette and giant boxset.

https://www.queenonline.com/news/pr...emixed-remastered-and-expanded-out-october-25

Right at the very end of the article it says: Also available in Download / Streaming / Atmos

Annoyingly the £150 boxset includes a load of CDs I either don't want (sessions and outtakes) or already have (BBC sessions, Rainbow live) and an LP. All I want is CDs 1 and 2 (which I can have for £19.99) and the last 4 tracks on CD 6 (live tracks I don't already have). £130 is a lot to pay for 4 live tracks, two of which are taken from cassette recorded in 1970.

The single is only available in 7" vinyl, I'd like it on CD single. And the Atmos is nowhere to be seen on physical media, which is an annoying omission from a £150 boxset. Take the blasted LP out and give me a blu ray! Or better yet just put the content of the entire 6 CDs and Atmos on one blu ray!

Justin Shirley-Smith did (except for the Night At The Opera tracks) those incredible 5.1 mixes for the Greatest Hits DVD. It has no mention of who did the Atmos but if it is him we can hope that it will be a discrete mix.

It would be quite the coup if SDE would get to do a physical release of the Atmos version.
There is no announcement of this box site on the SDE site yet, which *could* implicate something. (but then again, it couldn't)

I hope you are right. It would be fantastic to get a lossless physical Atmos released via SDE.

Streaming Atmos links:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ming-via-tidal-apple-amazon.31491/post-803636
1000009634.jpg

Last edited:
This pre order box set and the older box set News Of The World are beautiful box sets.
I am a huge Queen fan, top 5 musical groups for me.
I passed on the previous and this new box set because of no surround.
I am a box set collector and it is hard for me to pass up on these but I am just so happy with my Queen Stereo SHM SACD's, that I can't justify.
I do highly enjoy my 5.1 DVD-V Video Greatest Hits Disc 1 and Disc 2.
Plus the two DVD-A 5.1 0f The Game and A Night At The Opera.

I wonder, now that the members/survivors of Queen no longer own any part of there music if this was in the plan at point of sale or if this is the new owners decision and they are planning continued box sets?
Hopefully someone in there business office has knowledge of the surround sound community.

7 discs, including the album remixed, but really disappointed there's no surround. And over £200 (currently) at Amazon or £150 at Queen's own store!

https://queenonlinestore.com/products/queen-1-super-deluxe-edition-boxset

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DCMDJ...hWw_aem__RhE8lIyMy_3cMLNKlbV9g&tag=shtv.uk-21
You would've thought with Brian May's interest in all things 3D he might well have included a surround disc, even if it was only available in the box set. Just like the Revolver release that wasn't to be, so not only The Beatles lose out on sales, Queen are doing the same thing. Must be great not to need money ;)

I wonder, now that the members/survivors of Queen no longer own any part of there music if this was in the plan at point of sale or if this is the new owners decision and they are planning continued box sets?
Queen bring something out every year around this time of year, presumably to catch the Christmas market. They've been doing it for over a decade. So this could have been in the planning long before the sale of their music.

Queen online store appears broken. I can't login with my existing username and password, nor does creating a new one work. Password recovery never sends me an email.

EDIT: managed to create a new account finally. Looks like they lost my old one since the new one has the same email address.

Last edited:
Seriously? No Atmos? No 5.1? Really , in this day and age, they would have sold a lot more copies had they included the two Hi-res mixes, kinda sad ,I know what I won’t be purchasing.

Back