Question about Multi-Channel speaker placement

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cygnus_X1

Hello,
I've done a ton of research but I can't figure this out. I have an Acura MDX which I play 5.1 FLAC files through USB and they sound great.
I've been converting DTS 5.1 files to FLAC to listen in the car, but I notice the channels looks a little different.
Normally files are 3F2R/LFE, which is 3 front, 2 rear, and LFE for the sub. That's how Acura demo files are setup and most professionally mixed 5.1 files.
When I look at the DTS files and convert them to FLAC with VLC Media Player, I notice all the files are 3F2M/LFE, which I assume is 3 front, 2 middle, and LFE for the sub.
That seems more like a 7.1 setup using the middle channels and not the rear channels. I'm not sure if that makes any difference on how a 5.1 system handles the middle channels. To me, they don't sound as good in my MDX.
Also, does anyone know of an easy to use software I can use to change the channels around from side to rear? I'd be willing to buy something like JRiver Media Center if it would work.
Thanks.

Back