Tim Bowness - Powder Dry new album with Steven Wilson 5.1 mix (CD/DVD-V + FLAC Download)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really, really hope you guys can get something positive out of those negotations (assuming they're happening?). It's not only about the Atmos mixes of Haken and Pure Reason Revolution. The 5.1 mix of Symphony X's Paradise Lost comes to mind... it's pretty good, but it was only released in DD.
Just about to back Jonathan up on this

So anyway, how are people finding Tim Bowness's album music and mix-wise? I'd love to hear thoughts.

I've only listened once and plan to do so again today. On that initial listen, I was struck by the Hammill influence, not vocal-wise, obviously, but in terms of musical ideas.

I'm curious myself and I'll stream it on Tidal before deciding whether I want to invest in the surround edition or not, but I need the right mindset - as said before, I tend to find albums with too many short tracks incredibly distracting and totally messing with my focus as a listener. I guess it's the downside of being a proghead and loving Close to the Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans (among many others) too much :ROFLMAO:

I really like his older albums and his voice, so other than that, I see no reason why I shouldn't enjoy this one. But, certainly, an 8-track 40 min album would have been on paper much more attractive to me than a 16-track album of said duration.

I'm curious myself and I'll stream it on Tidal before deciding whether I want to invest in the surround edition or not, but I need the right mindset - as said before, I tend to find albums with too many short tracks incredibly distracting and totally messing with my focus as a listener. I guess it's the downside of being a proghead and loving Close to the Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans (among many others) too much :ROFLMAO:

I really like his older albums and his voice, so other than that, I see no reason why I shouldn't enjoy this one. But, certainly, an 8-track 40 min album would have been on paper much more attractive to me than a 16-track album of said duration.
So love Topo Oceans! And of course Close to the Edge.

I was more in the mood (prepared?) for the album this time around. As an avid VDGG fan from way back, yep I sure can hear Hammill-ish ideas (even something like the foghorn from Plague of Lighthouse Keepers). In fact, the album is positively bursting with creativity. And one good thing about so many short songs is, if you're not keen on the one you're listening to right now, no problems! There's another one coming right up. But actually, I liked them all. And you'll be happy to know there are two 'long' songs. One almost five mins and another just over four mins. :)

Unfortunately, you won't be able to suss it out on Tidal beforehand. It's 5.1. It sure would be great mixed to Atmos though.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to suss it out on Tidal beforehand. It's 5.1. It sure would be great mixed to Atmos though.

No, I mean in stereo. I always listen to any album first in stereo anyway, often many times before I give the multichannel mix a spin. I only need to check out the music - as for the 5.1, it's a SW mix, so I have the certainty it will be a good one.

I'd surely welcome the Hammill influence if I hear it too!

Back