Question about Multi-Channel speaker placement

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cygnus_X1

Hello,
I've done a ton of research but I can't figure this out. I have an Acura MDX which I play 5.1 FLAC files through USB and they sound great.
I've been converting DTS 5.1 files to FLAC to listen in the car, but I notice the channels looks a little different.
Normally files are 3F2R/LFE, which is 3 front, 2 rear, and LFE for the sub. That's how Acura demo files are setup and most professionally mixed 5.1 files.
When I look at the DTS files and convert them to FLAC with VLC Media Player, I notice all the files are 3F2M/LFE, which I assume is 3 front, 2 middle, and LFE for the sub.
That seems more like a 7.1 setup using the middle channels and not the rear channels. I'm not sure if that makes any difference on how a 5.1 system handles the middle channels. To me, they don't sound as good in my MDX.
Also, does anyone know of an easy to use software I can use to change the channels around from side to rear? I'd be willing to buy something like JRiver Media Center if it would work.
Thanks.

Oh yes so he did...

I don't think I've tried using VLC Player to perform any type of encoding, maybe it's getting the channel assignments mixed up. In the past I have used software's such as UsEac3to or LameXP, or even FFmpeg. It's a shame his vehicle doesn't support native dts bitstreams.

That being said, @Cygnus_X1 have you tried muxing these .dts bitstreams into the .mka container. What audio containers does the player in your Acura MDX support?

From what I understand is that somewhere along the way the standard got changed. Channels once were (as you say) as follows Front Left, Front Right, Front Centre, Lfe, (Surround) Back Left and (Surround) Back right. Adobe Audition 3, which I still use has a "Matrix Mixer" which codes the channels that way.

Somewhere along the way things got changed so that you find now the surround channels are being coded a side rather than back. I use "Matrix Mixer" in Foobar to "correct" the channel assignments. Depending on what you are playing the files back on, reassignment of channels may or may not be necessary.

This is how to set up "Matrix Mixer" in Foobar to reassign side to back. Note that non intuitively the outputs are the channels shown vertically on the right side, while the inputs are across the top.

1730034912544.png

Back