Reavon Blu-ray DVD-Audio SACD player coming out in Europe.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Reavon looks like an interesting development, will wait and see what our fellow QQr's post about it's performance.
I just posted a comment on that Australian guy's YT review of the Reavon and he thanked me for it. I wrote:

Reading through the comments, it’s apparent that many do not understand what market the Reavon UBR-X200 is trying to capture. It’s trying to fill the audiophile vacuum left by the Oppo UDP-205 and to come the closest to the Oppo’s audio capabilities in a single universal disc player. It’s for audiophiles who want SACD and DVD-A playback (and with a “Pure Audio” mode) along with all the other 4K video stuff that other brands have. Price comparisons to Panasonic 9000 models are irrelevant if you don’t play those discs, and another poster saying he “wouldn’t pay $500” clearly indicates no serious interest in audiophile capability either.

This is a niche product for those audiophiles who missed out on buying an Oppo-205, but who don’t want to pay the (now crazy) prices for a used one. All that being said, as a “niche” person myself who paid AUS$2,468 for a region-free Oppo-205 back in 2017 (which has turned out to be a bargain), I agree with the general sentiment that the Reavon-X200 is indeed overpriced (it doesn’t match the Oppo’s audio capabilities, and yet is over AUS$400 more before any region-free hack).

He replied:
Very well said and completely agree, thank you for standing up to for all them audiophile fans out there. 💪🍻 Thank you for watching.

I agree with the general sentiment that the Reavon-X200 is indeed overpriced (it doesn’t match the Oppo’s audio capabilities, and yet is over AUS$400 more before any region-free hack).

There is a alternative way of making the comparison of course. Quite possibility it was the OPPO that was under-priced. Maybe it was their inability to make enough profit on their players that was a significant reason in the decision to abandon the market.

Maybe it was their inability to make enough profit on their players that was a significant reason in the decision to abandon the market.
Yes, that was what I read: the Oppo players were indeed profitable, but their phone business was far more profitable, so that's why the players were dropped. But let's face it, the audiophile market at which the 205 model was pitched at was never going to capture a mass audience (how many folk own SACDs, never mind DVD-As, and how many of those who do, bought the 205?) Plus, it had an even darker future as streaming was becoming more popular. I remember back in 2017 when I was researching whether to buy a 205 or not, a lot of folks on audiophile forums were laughing at the US$1300 cost as far too expensive.

"Audiophile"? and no HDCD? For the hundreds of HDCDs I own... No thanks.

I feel your pain, Gimme 4. Don't you just love it when a format, in this case HDCD, is hawked and then all capability to play said format disappears? Even the Oppo 205 does not support HDCD while the 105 does. You have to ask yourself if there was something about the cost of HDCD rights that propelled Oppo to drop support of the format in the 205.

I'm sure at $1300 for an Opp 205 you'd get loads of takers now. I'd have two.
For sure Owen, the moment I saw Oppo was leaving the market, I ordered my 205 that very day from them. A major blunder by me not buying 2 or even 3; could have maybe sold the 3rd one later and payed for the other 2 😣

For sure Owen, the moment I saw Oppo was leaving the market, I ordered my 205 that very day from them. A major blunder by me not buying 2 or even 3; could have maybe sold the 3rd one later and payed for the other 2 😣

I missed it entirely, it was a year later before I found out. Must have been living under a rock or something.

I snagged my 105 at a good price direct from Oppo as a re-furb model. No regrets it's worked perfect. I have no plans to move to 4K & it has some streaming apps built in that I like and other niceties that the Reavon does not.

In nearby Independence MO there is a quality AV store that actually stocked some Oppo products. My older son in law works in high end sports sales & traded a bunch of stuff for an Oppo 205D at only a token price. He's had it set up but it's been in the box maybe 2 yrs now as he never listens to music in his HT, and if needs to play a disc he just uses his Play Station. Some people :cautious:.
He also hasn't gone to 4K because like me he would need a new very 'spensive projector for that. But if he does upgrade his projector the Oppo will be ready to go.

Can the 200 convert Multi Channel FLAC files and play them through it's 5.1 or 7.1 Analog outputs? The video comment hasn't tested that yet apparently.

Reavon UBR-X200 internal build
Reavon UBRX200.jpg

Back