Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all act like the world turns depending on what titles are selected, and when tracking and delivery happens. It's only music on discs.

But some of us having been waiting a rather long time to hear these gems. 50 years to get these out to the market in a playable format is way too long. But Still it's pretty amazing stuff. Ears are tickled to death.

Kinda off topic, kinda on topic, has anyone made a list of labels and/or artists (rights) acquired by WMG since the 1970s WEA group quad era (potential Quadios)?

Kirk Bayne

My glass is over one-half full! I like being grateful for the good things that were mixed in quad, and grateful for what ones have come out on discreet silver discs.

These are some real top prime quad masters we've seen severed up on silver platters. But that is not even mentioning "Full Sail" "Spectrum" any of the "EW&F" or "AWB." Then Randy Newman, Mingus, and Sly and the Family Stone.

Manifesting positivity through gratitude.

Yes!

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Ten Years After - A Space in Time
Jeff Beck - Wired
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark

IMHO David Gates is the strongest title of all those listed!

I've read many of your posts and it's very apparent that your knowledge is waaaay beyond mine on quad issues. So I read your replies with due respect, as I do most others here, even when the terminology is above my head
I've never heard of David Gates, BUT never heard of Charles Minus, which I love now.
Donny Hathaway is growing on me as is Gil Evans., as I was unfamiliar with them.
Iam playing David Gates Cloud Suites right now thru BT to my system from Apple music.............O boy, this is a hard no from me.

Maybe Iam jaded, as I listen to War with my morning coffee every morning to start my day. IMHO the very best of all the releases so far.
In respect to Rhino and FG, Iam not excited about the upcoming release's, but will probable support their effort in hopes future releases will be more inline with my old, narrow minded taste in music

never would have guess that, why do you look for those, does it tell when a album title was released???
That's just a hint that ForagingRhino has given us. The colour scheme of album cover is carried over to the spline of the Quadio disc. Based on that I think that we have guessed some of the new titles already.

That's just a hint that ForagingRhino has given us. The colour scheme of album cover is carried over to the spline of the Quadio disc. Based on that I think that we have guessed some of the new titles already.
Oh, thanks so much, now i get what you all are talking about. Do you have that post that shows those spines, must have missed it. Thanks for enlightening me.

Oh, thanks so much, now i get what you all are talking about. Do you have that post that shows those spines, must have missed it. Thanks for enlightening me.
I went to your link "foraging rhino", got it, thanks again.

I've never heard of David Gates,
David Gates was the lead singer of Bread. His solo albums are soft rock and sound very much "Bread" like. Not every artist or release will turn everyone's crank. There are a few well respected and very popular artists that I personally can't stand, but to each their own!

based on the spines of the jewel case artwork that Foraging Rhino recently shared here, my best guess for the next Quadio batch is.. 🤞😅

IMG_8621.jpeg

from top L;

Bread "Baby I'm-A Want You" (Elektra),
"Graham Central Station" (Warner),
Bette Midler "The Divine Miss M." (Atlantic),
Duke Ellington "New Orleans Suite" (Atlantic)

alternative options for the Duke Ellington title depending on colour variation of the white on grey spine include;

Herbie Mann "Hold On, I'm Comin'" (Atlantic),
James Gang "Miami" (Atco)

Last edited:
David Gates was the lead singer of Bread. His solo albums are soft rock and sound very much "Bread" like. Not every artist or release will turn everyone's crank. There are a few well respected and very popular artists that I personally can't stand, but to each their own!
his 2nd solo Quad (1975's "Never Let Her Go") is much closer to a Bread album for my money than "First" which, with it's 8 minute + Clouds/Rain suite, etc., is in some ways quite a departure from Bread.

i so wish Rhino could unearth an unreleased "Guitar Man" album Quad mix, the timing's right with it coming out smack bang in 1972 and beyond the big name title track there's solid tracks like "Sweet Surrender", "Fancy Dancer", "Tecolote", "Yours For Life" etc., i'd love to hear in Quadio.. 🙏🤞

i so wish Rhino could unearth an unreleased "Guitar Man" album Quad mix, the timing's right with it coming out smack bang in 1972 and beyond the big name title track there's solid tracks like "Sweet Surrender", "Fancy Dancer", "Tecolote", "Yours For Life" etc., i'd love to hear in Quadio.. 🙏🤞
Hard to believe that it was never done given its popularity and the timing. It would be fantastic if it does exist and gets released!

Hard to believe that it was never done given its popularity and the timing. It would be fantastic if it does exist and gets released!

I think the fact that the album was released in 1972 and WEA didn't start releasing quad LPs until September of 1973 has a lot to do with this. Probably not wanting to oversaturate the market they chose to release the greatest hits album (which came out in stereo in 1973 as well, so it was the "current" album) and Baby I'm-a Want You as an "older" hit catalog album, having originally been released in January 1972.

Having said that however, it is possible that an unreleased quad mix of Guitar Man does exist - an interview with Jac Holzman (who aside from being president of Elektra Records was also in charge of WEA's entire quad program) in Record World magazine in March of 1973 had this little nugget:

1719943202655.png

Given that they only ended up releasing two, the most likely candidate for the third is Guitar Man - I definitely don't think it's referring to Best of Bread, Volume 2, which didn't come out until May of 1974, more than a year after this was written.

Back