Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, back on topic. My guesses are:
Bette Midler - The Devine Miss 'M'
Herbie Mann - Hold On, I'm Coming
David Gates - First
James Taylor - Gorilla

Any of the above would be absolutely welcomed additions to my library, but at this point, I'll buy every Quadio Blu-ray Rhino has the wherewith-all to release.
While these are respectable quad mixed albums, I'd want a stronger title than Gates, I mean a classic with hits, and more hits. And then to follow that up with Mr. Mellow Baby James, is too much mellowness for me. You gotta admit that is pretty darn mellow, no?

And I think I want Push Push or MJQ before that live Mann.

So yeah, too mellow, and then not one of the more important Jazz record(s) all in my opinion.

Yeah, so I need a hot screamin' jazz album, a wild R&B romp, and more real hit songs, oh and less mellowness after having Seals & Crofts, America, Gordon, Roberta and whatever else it was that really cooled the temp. But Bette Midler is demo quad, a wild-fun ride, and major platinum album with many more units sold than Gates got as a solo artist.

Last edited:
While these are respectable quad mixed albums, I'd want a stronger title than Gates, I mean a classic with hits, and more hits. And then to follow that up with Mr. Mellow Baby James, is too much mellowness for me. You gotta admit that is pretty darn mellow, no?

And I think I want Push Push or MJQ before that live Mann.

So yeah, too mellow, and then not one of the more important Jazz record(s) all in my opinion.

Yeah, so I need a hot screamin' jazz album, a wild R&B romp, and more real hit songs, oh and less mellowness after having Seals & Crofts, America, Gordon, and whatever else it was that really cooled the temp.
IMHO David Gates is the strongest title of all those listed!

That is not much of a clue, most of the Quadio's so far have never been released before in digital format. Off the top of my head "Chicago Transit Authority" is the only one released more than once, first as a DTS DVD then as part of the Chicago Box set.
It’s not much of a clue, but it eliminates titles previously released by AF or whoever. So no Best of Bread or Spectrum, for example.

“suite: clouds/rain” was the only single from the album and was not a hit.
It's an amazing composition, though--and not necessarily what you'd expect from David Gates. And the album is brilliant. I hope it eventually gets a Quadio release, along with the other Gates solo effort. But I'd sooner guess, on the basis of the two-toned brown spine, that the Elektra release is Baby I'm a Want You.

I said he had a hit and I didn’t say it was from this album did I.
No. But the post you responded to was about this album. So why should I think you were talking about some other album?

🤷‍♂️

No one ever said he never had a hit. Most everyone remembers “Goodbye Girl” from the hit movie of the same name, I would think.

No. But the post you responded to was about this album. So why should I think you were talking about some other album?

🤷‍♂️

No one ever said he never had a hit. Most everyone remembers “Goodbye Girl” from the hit movie of the same name, I would think.
I could not remember whatsoever a particular hit and what album it might be on. And I stated I was not going to look it up. I imagined it being the title track from “Never Let Her Go” but even that draws a blank. But yeah his solo career has little going for it besides some pretty tunes and nice mellow productions. Good background stuff.

Last edited:
Back