Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The foam insulation goes down 2 feet from top of slab. This helps to keep the soil below the foundation from freezing and expanding. Important for the foundations longevity. If the soil near and below freezes it can add pressure to the foundation
How do you prevent the insulation absorbing water?

I find this interesting. The rules between different parts of the country are so varied. I naturally assumed the stricter requirements would be in Buffalo rather than in Michigan.

Here, for residential work, the minimum footer ground depth is 42" . It used to be 36" and if you wanted to be extra sure on a given build, you went to 48". The idea being that those were the max frost depths and anything buried at least that deep would never freeze. I can only assume the addition of insulation in some way enhances that.

Ricky do you know the min frost depth where you are?
LMQ
Frost depth in Michigan is 42"

0l

What type of projector and size screen are you using now? Getting new stuff for the new room?
Hi Sonik
my current set up is a projector. An oldie. SharpVision XV-Z10000. Its been a fine performer. Change bulb occasionally ( every 2 or 3 years ).
72" screen. So - Im kind of Living In The Past.
I will be going Sony laser projector - not sure which model. Id love to have the one that goes by nickname The Raptor but that puppy is out of my price range.
Screen size will be 120"
So - yes - some new stuff for the new room. And Ill time travel from 2002 to 2024. It will be awesome to have new video to watch the Detroit Lions win it all this coming season

Hi Sonik
my current set up is a projector. An oldie. SharpVision XV-Z10000. Its been a fine performer. Change bulb occasionally ( every 2 or 3 years ).
I will be going Sony laser projector - not sure which model. Id love to have the one that goes by nickname The Raptor but that puppy is out of my price range.
Screen size will be 120"
So - yes - some new stuff for the new room. And Ill time travel from 2002 to 2024. It will be awesome to have new video to watch the Detroit Lions win it all this coming season
Thanks for the info. That's quite interesting.
My screen size is 8' which is perfect for my room size & viewing distance. My older son in law, inspired by my set up, purchased a Sony projector & a DIY 8' screen. He had much more room width than I did so eventually he got a 10' Elite screen.

Now realizing that is only an increase of 12" either side diagnol you might not think it's that big of an increase. But really the the difference is huge. I had a pic of him standing with the new screen behind the old one & the latter was dwarfed by the larger size. When you watch football & they show close ups, you're gonna feel like you are inches away from the players. Way to go!

Hi Sonik
Screen size will be 120"

If you're interested in 4k material and don't want to invest in outboard video processing, I would strongly suggest looking at the current JVC offerings. They are the only options that currently offer a Dynamic Tone Mapping solution for 4K HDR. We've been able to do head to heads with the current Epson, Sony and JVC offerings at Mwave and it's really not close without some form of outboard processing for the Epson and Sony projectors. A Lumagen or MadVR video processor does make it a pros/cons comparison at least, but that's adding several thousand to the cost of the setup.

Edit: If you want more info, please feel free to ask. Projection, 4K HDR and the good/bad of what's out there can get confusing.

Last edited:
And from his massive sand box in North New Salem, MI, Ricko is observing

345backfillexcavator.jpg

My parents house has under floor and attic crawlspaces, and that allowed me to install a load of CAT 6 network cabling and completely rewire the mains electrics. My dad used them to install under floor heating downstairs and then I insulated below that, this in a house built in 1960.

By contrast my house was built in 1987 and has concrete floors downstairs. I can't do a damned thing, and the concrete floor is uninsulated (standard when it was built) hence I get cold feet in winter. I'll take the crawlspaces any day.
I’ve done wiring in every hoise I’ve owned, even those on slabs, but it’s always involved attic crawl spaces. This house, I’ve added lines for my listening room and garage, as well as running RG6 & CAT6 to several rooms. That job is about half done.

In my 2-story house + basement in Virginia, I took advantage of a siding replacement project to run three pipes from the attic crawl space to the basement. Came in very handy.

I expect we’ll be getting a new panel in a year or so when we put in solar.

Project update
Backfilling on the barn is complete. Saturday I will put the conduit in for the speaker wiring -
Cement floor to pour on Monday ( weather dependent) and framing to start on Wednesday
Just one other question about the backfilling around the foundations...Is Jimmy Hoffa buried down there?

I have made some adjustments in the audio plan of this project as time and research - and suggestions from QQ members - have occurred. What started out as a 9.4.4 Atmos set up is now going to be a 7.2.4 Atmos set up. I dont need the Atmos Wide surrounds and the 4 Subs was overkill in this size room - 2 subs will be just fine. Thanks for all your help QQ members

Back