RIP Phil Lesh, bassist and founding member of The Grateful Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SAD news, indeed. In March of 2023 Phil Lesh keeping the Dead Head tradition alive played his 100th concert at our local Capitol Theater in Port Chester, New York, a village of 25K residents and every time he came to town the downtown area would reek of POT and the dead heads with their tweaked out mini vans would pile into town.

In March of 2024 to celebrate his 84th and sadly, final birthday, he played his last concert at the venue.

May you R.I.P. Phil and regards to your other bandmates in that GREAT BEYOND!

Was able to catch the Grateful Dead in their Indian Summer days of the late 80s / early 90s, and was always amused
by people preferring to be on "Jerry's side" or "Phil's side" of the stage. Heard some show peaks that showed how awesome
they would have been in their earlier days. That era is ever fading. . . .

Was able to catch the Grateful Dead in their Indian Summer days of the late 80s / early 90s, and was always amused
by people preferring to be on "Jerry's side" or "Phil's side" of the stage. Heard some show peaks that showed how awesome
they would have been in their earlier days. That era is ever fading. . . .
The “sides” live on in the Phish community. left Side is “Page Side” and right side is “Mike Side”.

It started to catch on a bit with King Gizzard but they shifted their stage positions this tour scuttling any attempt to claim side names

This comes as a bit of a shocker, but then Phil was quite old and had survived a liver transplant for 26 years. I consider Phil to have been the bearer of the Grateful Dead torch - the great spirit of improvisation. His playing combined with Jerry and Bob made for the core of the unique blend the band enjoyed, and I believe he was more successful at keeping that spark brightly lit after the Fare The Well shows.

Between the Grateful Dead, Further, Phil and Friends, and Fare Thee Well I must have seen Phil perform maybe 150 times. Would have to try to count.

I am getting more philosophical about the passing of our musical heroes as the numbers climb, but I must confess this one got to me pretty good.

Thanks for everything Phil. I'll never forget!

Now playing in my house:
Phil Lesh and Friends 4/15/1999 with special guest Trey Anastasio… in DTS 5.1!
https://archive.org/details/paf1999-04-15.137018.5-1.tobin.flac1648

The whole weekend with Trey has this treatment, and a fair number of Dead shows proper as well. As with all dead tapes, they are free to trade and download. I believe this has the SBD in the front, AUD in rears, and center has a mux’d vocal, with the sub handling mux’d bass.

Back