RIP Trumpeter John McNeil

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
I learned this morning of the passing of John McNeil, a fine trumpeter in his own right and an important mentor to younger players. I know his work primarily from three recent albums with the group "Hush Point" on Sunnyside and his swanky 2006 outing East Coast Cool, but as Ethan Iverson points out, McNeil's discography--and his roots on the scene--went much deeper:

In the lineage McNeil was somewhere next to Tom Harrell, deep into both bebop and the modal burn, yet also infused with a carefree melodic sensibility and generosity of spirit.​
For myself and my peers McNeil was an important conduit to the tradition, someone who could tell you about Woody Shaw from the vantage point of having been there in the club.​
Gems from the discography include collaborations with Tom Harrell (a veritable dictionary of modern trumpet) and Bill McHenry (sweet song and rhythm). The DownBeat obituary is by Michael J. West.​

Last edited:
Back