Sansui RA-700 Reverb/Amplifier

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, that is a very crude way to get surround sound. While reverb was always a cool effect when added to electric guitar to use for surround produces an effect that could hardly be called hifi! I had an amplifier "Sears Electronics" that had a built in reverb. Those early units used a spring for delay (as does the RA-700), as I said a very cool effect when added to a guitar but very artificial added to recorded music.

As quad faded companies came out with "Bucket Brigade" type delay circuits. They were meant to add reverb to stereo, also a waste of time IMHO they didn't seem to last very long in the marketplace. Digital circuits also appeared, perhaps producing better sound quality but still the entire premise is flawed!

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/ra-700.shtml

Anyone use one or more of these devices to (try) to create fake surround sound from stereo?

Kirk Bayne
Spring reverbs have such a twangy distinctive sound they are unusable unless you are looking for that specific effect. I had a similar Pioneer reverb that had a mono reverb but mixed it in with the stereo signal. Best thing about that unit was gutting it & I built a 2 band Variomatrix decoder in the box.

I also had a newer all electronic bucket brigade Pioneer reverb. Again it didn't last long in my set up. I hooked it the decoded rear outputs but all it did was blur the sound image.

I've noticed most all of these units by Sansui/Pioneer etc had extravagant visual displays to portray what was being done to the sound. That was the funnest part.

Back