• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Selling my collection

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reed

Out here in the perimeter, way down below the ocea
Giving up on the qudraphonic hobby. Don't have the time or money.

I have two Sansui QRX 6001units. Neither work. I sent one unit down to QRX restore in Oregon about 13 years ago and they said they got it working great but when I received it back it did not work. I know the unit that went to QRX Restore was fully recapped and they supposedly did $500 worth of work, but I can't get it to work. The other Sansui unit goes into protection as soon as I turn it on and I never got farther than that. $600 for the recapped unit, $300 for the non-working unit.

I also have a JVC Model 5444. This unit works great but has some cosmetic damage to the veneer on the case. Has "simulated four channel stereo" which is not true quad, but sounds better than plain stereo. It can operate as a true four channel amplifier if you use the inputs. $250

I have a Sansui RA-500 reverberation amp which I have never tested. It turns on but I have never plugged it in to anything. $100

I have a Panasonic SE 405C CD-4 demodulator. Never tested it. $50

I have a pair of Koss quadraphonic headphones that did work about 13 years ago but now do not. $100

I have a pair of Quadraflex 44 speakers that worked great about 13 years ago. $100

I have a pair of realistic end-table speakers that worked but need refinishing and new grills. $100

All of this stuff was in storage for over ten years and I am cleaning out my storage unit.

You must pick up in Tacoma, Washington. No shipping. Best offers on everything. Discount if you buy it all.

Sad that the bulk of your equipment does not work. I can understand why that would sour you on this hobby.

Just wonder if you have managed to sell you collection? If you did offer shipping I'm sure that there are people here who would snap things up, in particular the QRX and Panasonic demodulator and maybe the Koss headphones. The other equipment is more generic, you should be able to sell it to non quadraphiles.

Panasonic demodulator did sell. Not a single bit of interest on anything else. I purchased these hoping I would have time to go through it all and get it working, but then life happened. I did fully recap one QRX unit, and that was the unit I sent off to QRX restore to get operating, but they sent it back saying it was fixed and it still deosn't work. They claimed it was because I was using faulty speakers, but I checked and my speakers are fine.

Anyway, I found a shop near me that will rebuild the Pioneer and Sansui units for $300-$500 a piece. At that price I might as well keep them all and get them fixed by someone who has the time to do the repairs.

I will entertain serious offers, but I am just not interested in packaging up 80 ppound stereos safely enough to be shipped and lugging them back and forth to the UPS store to get shipping estimates. I don't have the time for that all.

I will entertain serious offers, but I am just not interested in packaging up 80 ppound stereos safely enough to be shipped and lugging them back and forth to the UPS store to get shipping estimates. I don't have the time for that all.
Maybe to ease your mind on shipping (full disclosure -- I personally have no interest in these units)...

1) UPS estimates for shipping are easy to calculate online, you just need very approximate dimensions and weight. You can even post the dimensions and weight, along with your zip code, and let the buyer figure out if it's worth it for them. eBay also allows you to put in these values and auto calculate shipping costs in the listing.

2) The UPS Store (and possibly others in your area) will box up the item for a cost, which you can bake in ahead of time in the sale price. For something like receiver I'd mark up $40 to cover the 'handling'. This would be done when it's sold and you bring it to them to ship. No back and forth needed.

The underlying primary issue is more the fact they're inop, so someone would be taking a gamble buying them in hopes of getting them to work. The secondary issue is limiting your market to your immediate geographic area with pickup only. This tremendously limits the sale potential. 97% of your potential buyers live outside driving distance of where you live.

Back