Show us your QUADIO's!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUADIO Saturday!
IMG_2631.jpeg

NOTE: Let's keep this thread focused on pictures of Quadios and comments about the pictures.

There are plenty of other threads to tell us about shipping, broken jewel boxes, and other non-related stuff. If your post disappears from this thread, you can blame me directly. OK?

I'm afraid "Best of Aretha" is going to need a very limited edition Quadio Blu-Ray reissue. 24/192kHz in a super jewel to go with the other discs in the collection. And Chicago box set, I think another 1,000 to 1,500 - maybe next year if demand holds? I would roll the dice on these as long as the pressing #'s were kept realistic.

Here's the lowdown and view of the #2 Quadio from Rhino/Handmade - the original implementation of the Quadio program from 2010. As introduced at QQ by Rhino's John Hughes and the primary audio engineer Bob Vosgien, the original Quadio program was to have many subsequent releases to follow the CTA and Aretha discs, but the program was ended abruptly by a corporate budget decision.

Still, this is a great disc to seek out, and I would bet that a new generation release of this album will be available at some point in the future.

First, some of the original Rhino/Handmade advertising graphics:

Aretha Ads.jpg

And some Disc Scans and package scans. The Rhino/Handmade Quadios maintained the original Quadradisc graphics/logos. Also, the original string 'CD-4 Channel Discrete' banner was skillfully changed to read 'DVD-4 Channel Discrete', which actually was quite clever. A perfect modification.

Also, in the credits, it's revealed that our own "Foraging Rhino", Steve Woolard, is credited first in the list. He's been on our side for decades!!!

[NOTE: My scans are full resolution, so if you click on the scan below, you can zoom in quite a bit if you feel so inclined]

Aretha DVD.jpg

Aretha Front.jpg

Aretha Back.jpg

Aretha Sleeve Side 1.jpg

Aretha Sleeve Side 2.jpg

And the disc also included an OBI strip around the edge of the sleeve

Aretha OBI.jpg

Here's the lowdown and view of the #1 Quadio from Rhino/Handmade - the original implementation of the Quadio program from 2010. As introduced at QQ by Rhino's John Hughes and the primary audio engineer Bob Vosgien, the original Quadio program was to have many subsequent releases to follow the CTA and Aretha discs, but the program was ended abruptly by a corporate budget decision.

For those interested, the mastering is a bit different on this disc than you'll find on the newer release in the CHICAGO QUADIO BOX SET. Some people prefer one over the other, but most can't hear the difference.

What's interesting about this disc is that it was originally supposed to be a DVD-Audio disc, as both the disc label and the information on the OBI strip have the DVD-AUDIO logo on them. However, before this was released, parent company Warner decided to stop issuing DVD-AUDIO discs, so instead it was decided to put this out as a DTS DVD, which is what WB was using for some Neil Young releases among others. Engineer Bob Vosgien told me the following when I asked him about the DVD-AUDIO logo and the disc not actually being a DVD-A.

"The DVD-A label on the package was a typo. Warners is not supporting DVD-A anymore and they also wanted this disc to be more compatible with the general public. I pushed for the DTS 96-24 stream and I can assure you it sounds VERY close to my original 96k/24bit files. The next series(if it happens) will most likely be Blu-Ray... so there you go...."

Below is one of the Rhino/Handmade advertising graphics for this release, which was the first one in the series:

2363-ChicagoQUAD-754x38-.jpg

There are some Disc Scans and package scans below. Since this was never a Warner CD-4 Quadradisc (it was released in quad by Columbia using the SQ system), there were no original quadraphonic graphics to use for this issue. To identify it as quad, Rhino used the original Warner Brothers Quadradisc Logo, and the small print indicating it was a 'CD-4 Channel Discrete' issue (which it was not).

Since this was originally a 'Double Album', this issue retains the gatefold cover, with the inside graphic and information, as shown below.

The inner sleeve is the same as the Aretha release shown above, so I did not include those scans in this thread.

[NOTE: My scans are full resolution, so if you click on the scan below, you can zoom in quite a bit if you feel so inclined]

Chicago DVD.jpg

Chicago Front.jpg

Chicago Inside.jpg

Chicago OBI.jpg

Last edited:
As there were a few Dragonflies (female Emperor laying eggs & a male Common Darter defending territory) flying around my pond today I thought I'd photo my Quadio (& Atmos forgot to add the Deep Purple)) specials by the pool, as I'd like Jefferson Starship's Dragonfly & especially Spitfire! I'd wondered if one would land on the collection, no luck :)
20240729_122358.jpg

Here's the lowdown and view of the #2 Quadio from Rhino/Handmade - the original implementation of the Quadio program from 2010. As introduced at QQ by Rhino's John Hughes and the primary audio engineer Bob Vosgien, the original Quadio program was to have many subsequent releases to follow the CTA and Aretha discs, but the program was ended abruptly by a corporate budget decision.

Still, this is a great disc to seek out, and I would bet that a new generation release of this album will be available at some point in the future.

First, some of the original Rhino/Handmade advertising graphics:

View attachment 108058

And some Disc Scans and package scans. The Rhino/Handmade Quadios maintained the original Quadradisc graphics/logos. Also, the original string 'CD-4 Channel Discrete' banner was skillfully changed to read 'DVD-4 Channel Discrete', which actually was quite clever. A perfect modification.

Also, in the credits, it's revealed that our own "Foraging Rhino", Steve Woolard, is credited first in the list. He's been on our side for decades!!!

View attachment 108059

View attachment 108060

View attachment 108061

View attachment 108062

View attachment 108063

And the disc also included an OBI strip around the edge of the sleeve

View attachment 108064
That artwork was where I got my original QQ avatar from 👍🏼

Back